Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cam belts

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We have just had the cambelt changed on our Tiguan after five years. Surprisingly not recommened last year but it now seems that the new belt is good for 140k miles with no time limit before it needs changing. Also they didn't recommend having the water pump and tensioner done.
I asked if this is across all VW products but it apparently doesn't apply to commercials so we are still stuck with four year intervals.
The service lady had just transferred from the Commercial side so I asked her about water pump and tensioner on the van as e have just had that done. Very non committal but sort of gave the impression that it's not really necessary each time. Said there are very few pump failures. Perhaps another instance of us being ripped off by VW???

We have just had the cambelt changed on our Tiguan after five years. Surprisingly not recommened last year but it now seems that the new belt is good for 140k miles with no time limit before it needs changing. Also they didn't recommend having the water pump and tensioner done.
I asked if this is across all VW products but it apparently doesn't apply to commercials so we are still stuck with four year intervals.
The service lady had just transferred from the Commercial side so I asked her about water pump and tensioner on the van as e have just had that done. Very non committal but sort of gave the impression that it's not really necessary each time. Said there are very few pump failures. Perhaps another instance of us being ripped off by VW???

It does apply to commercials - there's another thread running on that.

As for the water pump, I don't think VW have ever said to replace it at the same time as the cam belt, it's just a sensible thing to do. When I had one done it was about £35 extra over the cost of just the cam belt change, I looked at it as preventative maintenance. As the cam belt change has now changed, I think it's even more reason to change the water pump whilst you are at it.

Doesn’t apply to commercials? What’s the difference? It’s aVW diesel engine wether it’s used for delivering parcels or used for going camping. Another get out clause for VW.

The vw website is not clear but suggests its still 4-5 years and yet the dealer tells a different story for my Golf 100,000 no time limit!!! Vague statements about commercials are misleading and confusing VW really need to get there act together. I have asked my dealer to provide evidence of new policy and am going to challenge VW UK to give clarity.

VW need to come out and tell the public EXACTLY what is expected regarding replacing the cambelt and water pump.
At the moment it’s all hearsay and speculation about what dealer said what to what client.
Is it 100k miles and 10 years or 120k miles or 10 years.

Back