Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camp Sites for Cali Beach

siggsy

siggsy

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
So just before I purchase a Pre Reg/Nearly new Beach, a few friends have tried putting me off. Mainly because of camp sites in the UK that they say aren't geared up for a VW Cali Beach. My idea is to buy a Beach, along with a tent/awning, with portable cooking equipment and fridge. Thus taking all pots and pans down to the 'block' to wash up etc. Ive been told that camp sites only have cleaning blocks like that for 'tents' and for camper vans they don't have such facilities? Are they winding me up, or will i be okay with a Beach and portable cooking . If so, where are your favourite camp sites??

I didn't know it was April already they must be having you on if they are campers them selfs then they would know the facilities on campsites are for campers, caravans, motorhomes and camper vans and this is what we do when we go away so it won't affect your enjoyment of the vehicle don't listen to anybody else and just do it you will not regret it :thumb

Perhaps they meant 'motorhome parkings' instead of actual campings. They exist in many countries. They are spots where you can stay for the night, but not truely camp. They are basically just for sleeping only. You can't bbq or put out chairs and table. Although what's allowed/available differs from place to place. But on regular campings you'll be able to use all the facilities, just like the people in tents.

Campsites in UK are good. I don't even wash up in my caravan I always go to the sinks provided. Links to search:

Last edited:
We have camped extensively in Europe as a family of four.

No campsite will have a problem with you cooking in or under an awning.

In some aires or car parks you may look a bit conspicuous cooking under an awning. In such circumstances, take a packed supper and thermos, buy fish and chips or a pizza, or go out for dinner. A 12 volt kettle takes about 45 minutes to boil sufficient water for two 375ml cups of tea and will drain half your leisure battery capacity.

So just before I purchase a Pre Reg/Nearly new Beach, a few friends have tried putting me off. Mainly because of camp sites in the UK that they say aren't geared up for a VW Cali Beach. My idea is to buy a Beach, along with a tent/awning, with portable cooking equipment and fridge. Thus taking all pots and pans down to the 'block' to wash up etc. Ive been told that camp sites only have cleaning blocks like that for 'tents' and for camper vans they don't have such facilities? Are they winding me up, or will i be okay with a Beach and portable cooking . If so, where are your favourite camp sites??

That’s what I do.

Your friends are winding you up!

Welcome and go for it!
Differences between „park4anight“ and campsites were explained and it all depends on your camping „style“.
If never been on a „camping“ where you weren‘t allow to do the washing up. However there are some campsites only for tents or only for MH/campervans and/or no Caravans.
Hope we encouraged you enough to buy one finally!

A wind up.
Wild camping with a Beach would be a little more difficult but not a campsite.

Ignore your friends. The Beach is a fine vehicle for camping in fact I'd say that it's just about the most perfect all rounder. You'll be fine wherever you go.

Get that beach. I had one. Awesome. Had some amazing times in that. No issues at all anywhere regarding campsites

Our Beach is the best for UK campsites.

This weekend we have been to a well appointed campsite with a hookup so we can use our plug-in heater - so no problem.

Our preference is for minimalist campsites. Remote - great views and not much more than a bog and a tap. We have stayed in some completely awesome locations. Just put your van where you would a tent. Turn it until you get the best view - level the van and you are in business.

I have built a little pod which has: fridge, mini-worktop, 2 ring gas burner with grill, 2 draws, wine bottle holder, rail to hook on table, water container, fire blanket and compartment for collapsible wash-up bowl and kettle. This is all we need to make our love and joy function like an Ocean with the added benefit of a bigger rear seat and wider "inside" bed. We can take also lift the pod out when we want to (mis-) use our beach as a utility van.

Go Beach!!!!

This weekend we have been to a well appointed campsite with a hookup so we can use our plug-in heater - so no problem.

Our preference is for minimalist campsites. Remote - great views and not much more than a bog and a tap. We have stayed in some completely awesome locations. Just put your van where you would a tent. Turn it until you get the best view - level the van and you are in business.

I have built a little pod which has: fridge, mini-worktop, 2 ring gas burner with grill, 2 draws, wine bottle holder, rail to hook on table, water container, fire blanket and compartment for collapsible wash-up bowl and kettle. This is all we need to make our love and joy function like an Ocean with the added benefit of a bigger rear seat and wider "inside" bed. We can take also lift the pod out when we want to (mis-) use our beach as a utility van.

Go Beach!!!!
"wine bottle holder"- great idea, for red I hope, we have a halfords cool box which is deep enough for a white wine bottle. We use an induction hob so need hook up. Beach is no problem for cooking and great for picnics and as you said misuse for carrying bikes (push and motor). We have a 7 seat but at present only 4 seats. It is fun changing seats! Have a home made wardrobe for when staying in hotels, as clothes hang and do not crease.

Go Beach!!!!

Nice.. I bet the Beachers on here are screaming for a piccie of your pod! (I'd be interested also, even though we're SE/Ocean types at this point).

"wine bottle holder"- great idea, for red I hope, we have a halfords cool box which is deep enough for a white wine bottle. We use an induction hob so need hook up. Beach is no problem for cooking and great for picnics and as you said misuse for carrying bikes (push and motor). We have a 7 seat but at present only 4 seats. It is fun changing seats! Have a home made wardrobe for when staying in hotels, as clothes hang and do not crease.
Yes the red is stored on the side of the pod. Our Pod has a Dometic 50 upright fridge so stores the milk and white wine in the door and has a freezer box for the ice for our G&T's.

We are using 2 Vanessas for our current clothes storage. https://www.vanessa-mobilcamping.de.../accessories-packing-bags-t5t6-lightgrey.html. However, I like the idea of a wardrobe for then the situation dictates.

They are winding you up.

Most campsites catering for motorhomes and caravans have facilities for washing up, nice loo books, electric hook up, lovely neighbours (the occasional tosser excepted), kids playing nicely and dogs posing on demand well away from others.

Seriously, you will be welcome almost anywhere.

Drink plenty, no need for a night heater

we have only come across one site that didn't have wash up facilities. We have an ocean so although we weren't prepared we got sorted. .

we have only come across one site that didn't have wash up facilities. We have an ocean so although we weren't prepared we got sorted. .

They are the best sites. A single lone toilet cubicle with a cut off door so you can tell if in use by looking for feet, grease proof toilet paper (with property of HM Prison Service emblazoned) hung on a wire coat hanger. A single shower cubicle, with cut off door as above, with only cold water so you need to be really minging to want a shower. And a tap for filling your washing up bowl or kettle.

£3 per adult per night, children or dogs £1 extra per night.

No hookup.

Open fires welcome.

How’re you coping with the camping disadvantages of the Beach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Must admit I don't find any disadvantages. But then coming from a camping background I am completely happy with boiling a kettle and washing in my collapsible bowl by the van and throwing the wastewater under a bush.

We bought a small portable loo and "shower" tent but haven't had to use them yet. I have always managed to get onto "booked up" campsites at very short notice due to cancellations.

My 2 favourite campsites of the summer:
Turner Hall farm in the Lake District
Treen farm in Cornwall

Back