Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camper in pecking order of expenses...

SpuffingtonMe

SpuffingtonMe

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Just throwing out a question to gauge opinions on how valuable the campers are to folk. I think I know the answer but sometimes it's just nice to metaphorically throw around an idea and garner opinion.

I currently own a Knaus BoxDrive600XL which I bought from new about 15months ago now. Have done nearly 9k miles in it and for the first year, lots of family trips. Then the family grew from 4 to 5 and in spite of flirting with the idea of changing out the passenger captain's chair for a (swivel) bench, I've not pulled the trigger for multiple reasons. So the van is rapidly becoming my toy (which in some ways it always was) as a day van for mountainbiking (or up to two nights) and potentially then little short overnights with 11yr old daughter and/or 4yr old son. A far cry from France, NC500 and Connemara.

Problem is, when I bought the van (on HP), my wife was working in a very good job. Four weeks later, she got made redundant out of the blue and 3months later she was pregnant. We're now over a year into a single income and although I'm making it all stick, some months are a bit tighter than others. So my thoughts have come to selling it. :( Problem is, it's a very good spec incl. 4x4 which is basically only factory order and therefore if not "one of a kind", certainly would require me to order from factory if I ever wanted to get back in one. I also feel like there'd be a huge hole in my life w/o a leisure vehicle. I've had motorhomes for >10yrs now and it was getting rid of my Concorde which had me selling a brand new X5 six months later to get into a Cali Ocean to offset the feeling of being trapped. So I know (and my wife knows) life for me will be verging depressing w/o a vehicle I can sleep in.

So I'm now torn. I know it's a question only I can answer for me and my finances.

However how many of you have tried to ride out rough patches in order to keep the van?

What would you sell before the van?

How long have long-term Cali owners gone w/o getting back into a leisure vehicle after selling?

Last edited:
Just throwing out a question to gauge opinions on how valuable the campers are to folk. I think I know the answer but sometimes it's just nice to metaphorically throw around an idea and garner opinion.

I currently own a Knaus BoxDrive600XL which I bought from new about 15months ago now. Have done nearly 9k miles in it and for the first year, lots of family trips. Then the family grew from 4 to 5 and in spite of flirting with the idea of changing out the passenger captain's chair for a (swivel) bench, I've not pulled the trigger for multiple reasons. So the van is rapidly becoming my toy (which in some ways it always was) as a day van for mountainbiking (or up to two nights) and potentially then little short overnights with 11yr old daughter and/or 4yr old son. A far cry from France, NC500 and Connemara.

Problem is, when I bought the van (on HP), my wife was working in a very good job. Four weeks later, she got made redundant out of the blue and 3months later she was pregnant. We're now over a year into a single income and although I'm making it all stick, some months are a bit tighter than others. So my thoughts have come to selling it. :( Problem is, it's a very good spec incl. 4x4 which is basically only factory order and therefore if not "one of a kind", certainly would require me to order from factory if I ever wanted to get back in one. I also feel like there'd be a huge hole in my life w/o a leisure vehicle. I've had motorhomes for >10yrs now and it was getting rid of my Concorde which had me selling a brand new X5 six months later to get into a Cali Ocean to offset the feeling of being trapped. So I know (and my wife knows) life for me will be verging depressing w/o a vehicle I can sleep in.

So I'm now torn. I know it's a question only I can answer for me and my finances.

However how many of you have tried to ride out rough patches in order to keep the van?

What would you sell before the van?

How long have long-term Cali owners gone w/o getting back into a leisure vehicle after selling?
Sounds like you might be able to have the best of both worlds (minus the big France, NC500, Connemara trips for now).
Sell the Knaus and release some equity to plug any gaps in future-months' finances, and buy a smaller van - a California obviously - to take you and your mountain bike out of the melee occasionally, and take other family members when you must...?

Just read your write up on BMWLand.
I think you love that van as much as I love getting outside.
I sold my Cali and need 3 years to pay off mortgage then wifey says I can splash £3k a month on something.
So maybe I’ll be looking at the James Cook 600D with 4x4 on the sprinter.
But can’t wait to have a camper again.

It’s only you who can decide if you can keep or sell.
Make the right choice. Stick with it.

Sounds like you might be able to have the best of both worlds (minus the big France, NC500, Connemara trips for now).
Sell the Knaus and release some equity to plug any gaps in future-months' finances, and buy a smaller van - a California obviously - to take you and your mountain bike out of the melee occasionally, and take other family members when you must...?
Keep the Knaus and sell the Kids!

Tough dilema, and hats off to you too.

I think i'd look to try to keep the van where possible.

After a number of years with a MoHo (or equivalent), you start to realise just how enabling they are; short trips short notice or without overplanning/committing, ease of travel, and so on.

In addition, if you sold the van, you'd need to start considering other holiday options. And when you the van up against things such as EasyJet or BA + AirB&B or equivalent, you'll quickly find yourself spending the actual financial benefits of selling the van. I suspect with one income and already mindful of cost, you'll perhaps start choosing not to have holidays abroad due to the overall value and cost of change. At which point, everyone suffers a quality of life drop.

That said, that's the challenge of parenting - choosing when to go step backwards and sacrifice personally to ensure you and the family can step forwards tomorrow.

If you can keep it, I would. But if needs must, at the end of the day, its a vehicle.

To be fair, I've only sat on one, not ridden one. I thought an RT was big until I sat on a 'wing.
The new 2021 on are a bit smaller, shorter and nicer if you have a bagger without top box and pillion armchair, 1.8 litre 7 speed automatic. The last bike my wife will let me have, she has a 1100 rebel auto

The new 2021 on are a bit smaller, shorter and nicer if you have a bagger without top box and pillion armchair, 1.8 litre 7 speed automatic. The last bike my wife will let me have, she has a 1100 rebel auto
Armchair and motorcycle in the same sentence is just wrong. Does your's have the stereo speakers?

Armchair and motorcycle in the same sentence is just wrong. Does your's have the stereo speakers?

Defacto on a Goldwing isn’t it? I have to confess I’m not sure I see the point of speakers - I’ve got earplugs in and a helmet on so to hear anything they’d have to be pretty loud!

Front speakers yes, completely audible up to 70 mph with open face helmet on, electric screen is fabulous, don't use earplugs, have helmet intercom for phone, satnav and music when two up, Harmon kardon speakers in helmet

I would sell everything I own other than the house.
I love my home and feel privileged to be the current custodian.

Anything else, can be replaced easily. Vans come and go, cars, bikes and surfboards.
I don’t feel attached to any possession in my life…

I would sell everything I own other than the house.
I love my home and feel privileged to be the current custodian.

Anything else, can be replaced easily. Vans come and go, cars, bikes and surfboards.
I don’t feel attached to any possession in my life…
Except for your bricks and mortar

Do you have another vehicle as a daily driver? Think about trading it and the Knaus in for a late model 5 seater Beach or Nugget.

To offer a slightly contrary opinion. Whilst I love the Cali, if it put us under any financial strain such that it was distracting from the things that really matter, I would definitely sell it. I try (and often fail!) not to get lured into devotion for material stuff. But good luck OP on your difficult decision!

Back