Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping & Caravan Club V Caravan &Motorhome Club

Gooldmike

Gooldmike

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi,
We have a VW California Beach Campervan. We use a Quecha Base Seconds Pop up tent/shelter with it , for extra space and storage.
I'm looking at joining either the Caravan & Motorhome Club or the Camping & Caravan Club. I'm unsure as to which one would be most appropriate for our set up. Obviously the sites we would be using ,would need to allow tents also ( although when I've booked previously ,I've tended just to book a pitch that includes an awning , as there really isn't any difference between am awning and our pop up shelter )
I would be grateful if people could give me their thoughts on which club would be the most appropriate for us ?

We have the same pop up and have used in at sites from both clubs with no problems. We only use it as a shelter during the day. I’d imagine it would be frowned upon if you had the inner tent and groundsheet that they sold separately and someone slept in it. Otherwise I can’t see it being a problem

Caravan and TV club. Love it. How about the 'take the caravan out on bank holidays only when your retired club'?

I suppose the ‘ambience’ of each reflects what most of their nembers want, campervans have associations with magic mushrooms and watching ITV in a lot of big white & caravanners minds.

We have a seperate awning tent that we drive close to, but it doesn’t connect to the van. Not had any problems on camping and caravan club sites yet. The wardens, before Covid, always had a chat about our set up and then gave us a pitch that suited.
Trying the motor home club soon so we will see how that goes.......

We have a seperate awning tent that we drive close to, but it doesn’t connect to the van. Not had any problems on camping and caravan club sites yet. The wardens, before Covid, always had a chat about our set up and then gave us a pitch that suited.
Trying the motor home club soon so we will see how that goes.......
Never had a problem with the CAMC. No minimum night stay, no deposit, no cancellation charges up to 72 hours, pick your own pitch, excellent toilet/shower blocks.
Varied sites, pick the ones that appeal to you. A lot of the sites we go on have lots of areas/glens with trees etc so quite private and not staring at lots of other vans etc.
BTW anyone looking to join can get a £10 voucher for them and me using the recommend a friend scheme. Message me for details. :cool:

Never had a problem with the CAMC. No minimum night stay, no deposit, no cancellation charges up to 72 hours, pick your own pitch, excellent toilet/shower blocks.
Varied sites, pick the ones that appeal to you. A lot of the sites we go on have lots of areas/glens with trees etc so quite private and not staring at lots of other vans etc.
BTW anyone looking to join can get a £10 voucher for them and me using the recommend a friend scheme. Message me for details. :cool:
That’s good - we joined the motorhome club as booked a holiday to Holland with them for August. Have to say they were brilliant, both when booking the holiday and sadly, cancelling it. I do like the no deposit booking for sites. We were due to go to Blackpool last night but I cancelled as I was worried about high winds and they were fine with that. Weather hasn’t actually been too bad so think we maybe could have gone, but I’m nervous about the pop top!

That’s good - we joined the motorhome club as booked a holiday to Holland with them for August. Have to say they were brilliant, both when booking the holiday and sadly, cancelling it. I do like the no deposit booking for sites. We were due to go to Blackpool last night but I cancelled as I was worried about high winds and they were fine with that. Weather hasn’t actually been too bad so think we maybe could have gone, but I’m nervous about the pop top!
I'm near Blackpool, can confirm it's pretty windy.

Gale force winds on our campsite last night. Quite entertaining ⛺

The biggest difference I noticed was awnings... I’ve always found C&CC accept awnings. I’ve noticed a couple of C&MH sites won’t accept awnings with sewn in groundsheet. I needed to use the awning so couldn’t book.
It may not be that black and white though, I’m sure.

The biggest difference I noticed was awnings... I’ve always found C&CC accept awnings. I’ve noticed a couple of C&MH sites won’t accept awnings with sewn in groundsheet. I needed to use the awning so couldn’t book.
It may not be that black and white though, I’m sure.
Quite a few sites require ground sheets to be raised every 2/3 days to protect the grass for subsequent campers. Not unreasonable really, hence fixed ground sheets not welcomed.

Quite a few sites require ground sheets to be raised every 2/3 days to protect the grass for subsequent campers. Not unreasonable really, hence fixed ground sheets not welcomed.
Agree. The sites with grass pitches could quickly be ruined otherwise. Just wanted point out a difference that I’ve noticed.

CAMC booking page, you can choose an awning or non awning pitch.

We are at one of their sites now. We couldn’t choose our pitch due to covid- pre allocated before arrival. May go back to previous system once thing ps have settled down?

No minimum night stay, no deposit, no cancellation charges up to 72 hours

Just weighing up whether to join either, both or neither.

How does CACC compare to the CAMC's policy above of no minimum stay, no deposit, no cancellation charges up to 72 hrs?

CAMC's website suggests a saving of £12 per night. Does CACC have a similar discount on pitch prices?

Just weighing up whether to join either, both or neither.

How does CACC compare to the CAMC's policy above of no minimum stay, no deposit, no cancellation charges up to 72 hrs?

CAMC's website suggests a saving of £12 per night. Does CACC have a similar discount on pitch prices?
I can't answer all your questions, however I have given up with the CACC membership as it didn't work for us. Not as flexible re bookings and deposit. Corfe Castle stay at the end of October was ridiculous price when we stayed a couple of years ago. We wanted to take advantage of their Lake District sites as we are near but they were min 3 night stays at weekend etc so no good for us with a schoolchild. It wasn't worth the membership to US.
You want to be looking at where you will likely be staying/venturing and whose sites suit your needs. The CL/CS sites with 5 pitches are often very good.

Thanks Larry

We intend travelling all over, but will often only stay 1 or 2 nights so a minimum 3 nights at weekends wouldn't work for us either (or were you saying the 3 night minimum is just at the site you were looking at?). The 72 hr cancellation policy is also a big thing for us as it allows the weather to be taken into account.

(or were you saying the 3 night minimum is just at the site you were looking at?)
I think it applies at the some of the most popular sites.

• Thanks
Reactions: Hmb
Thanks Larry

We intend travelling all over, but will often only stay 1 or 2 nights so a minimum 3 nights at weekends wouldn't work for us either (or were you saying the 3 night minimum is just at the site you were looking at?). The 72 hr cancellation policy is also a big thing for us as it allows the weather to be taken into account.
The Camping & Caravan Club minimum stay information.

Attachments

• 21410-Club-Sites-Minimum-Stay-Table-2020.pdf
    29.6 KB · Views: 89
I was booked in with the CAMC last weekend. Day before my daughter had a temperature. Called them, refunded in full no issues. I’m a member of both clubs and find them to be pretty much the same in terms of overall service. The camping and caravan club did charge me when we had a death in the family in Ireland. I didn’t want a refund - just to reschedule but they said no and charged me anyway. Bit harsh but all other experiences have been good.

We are at CAMC carsington water site this weekend. Toilets/showers spotless and no queue if you pick the right time. Site full, but very quiet. Site shop is open for sweets/ice cream etc and pizza van arriving tonight. Staff great - very impressed!
Very busy, we arrived at 4pm on Friday and got a reasonable choice of pitches. By 6:30, there were only a few left so you didn’t get much choice......

No tents at CAMC. awnings only.
C&CC. Either awning or tent but I wouldn't think both unless just a Pup tent possibly. Pitch size/spacing would dictate what could be accommodated.

Back