Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping this time of year through to Winter

We camp with our kids in Autumn and Winter, we use a Pucer roof screen to add a little extra insulation to the roof and the tube to get heat upstairs is also used but mainly for when we go skiing and camp in the Alps. We sleep under winter duvets and the kids wear PJ’s, heater rarely used higher than level 3.

Last edited:
We used ours last winter without a topper and were lovely and snug with the heating on. However we have purchased a topper to try this year to regulate the heat better throughout the van as the pooch was warm downstairs whilst the heat was lost through the roof!

This is our first autumn and winter with our Cali. I’m just going to see how we do with nothing different from how the van came and our duvets and the diesel heater. But this thread has been very helpful about the options for us to consider if we are too cold, wet or uncomfy!

Hi All,

We got our T6 Cali Ocean a week or so ago and haven't slept out in it yet. We were thinking to go out this coming weekend in it (x2 Adults, x2 Kids under 7). We previously had a T5 camper but it had no pop top or diesel heater. We only camped in Summer and sleep x1 adult & 1 kid in the van and the x1 adult and kid in the drive away awning.

Being new to the Cali world and pop top/diesel heater, my question is, i presume camping this time of year is fine? Will we need a cover to go over the pop top this time of year to stop rain/wind and keep warm? Also, what other must haves would we need for this time of year? Apart from levelling blocks/ramps, i can't think of anything else.
As others have posted the Cali is good for winter camping. A topper increases comfort and avoids the problem if a wet roof canvas. External screen covers are also a must in very cold weather. Often toppers etc may not always fold down as neatly when wet. We have a large dry bag that we put them in to avoid wrestling with them. We have camped in the alps in winter in -15 degrees without a problem. Although in freezing temps don’t use the water /waste tank as they are not insulated. We found that when you open the cupboards you get a bit of a blast of cold air so added a bit of insulation to the cupboards. It helped a bit. Enjoy your winter camping. C3D1E78E-D9F9-4314-B000-A098632B13EF.jpeg

Hi All,

We got our T6 Cali Ocean a week or so ago and haven't slept out in it yet. We were thinking to go out this coming weekend in it (x2 Adults, x2 Kids under 7). We previously had a T5 camper but it had no pop top or diesel heater. We only camped in Summer and sleep x1 adult & 1 kid in the van and the x1 adult and kid in the drive away awning.

Being new to the Cali world and pop top/diesel heater, my question is, i presume camping this time of year is fine? Will we need a cover to go over the pop top this time of year to stop rain/wind and keep warm? Also, what other must haves would we need for this time of year? Apart from levelling blocks/ramps, i can't think of anything else.
We are the exact same just had our first “test camp” at a local camp site, the heater is amazing literally had it on for a few minutes and had to turn it off because we got too hot!
We don’t have the rain cover for the roof but will definitely invest in it luckily we had the roof down last night when it rained.

We’re out now! It’s a tad rainy but we’ve been very cosy, sleeping downstairs and using the diesel heater.

We did make a pig’s ear of some grass and got stuck. Had three blokes help us push it out. Note to self: get 4WD next time and avoid wet grass!!

We’ve ordered a Rainbow Screens screen and topper. On advice from the lovely couple of Bus and Beyond. Although I’m not sure we need them. We just fancy being super toasty and protecting the pop top!

Happy camping!

We have Cali camped during the winter months sometimes in sub zero conditions. It has never been a problem. However, I do sometimes have an issue when camping when the weather is grey, overcast and raining. Call it SAD syndrome if you like except I feel the same all year round. Under those circs I'd really rather be at home.

Not if you want to try it. :)
We shrink wrapped the drivers door of our car in New Zealand once after the window was smashed by someone stealing the speed camera warning gizmo. Got home ok (distances can be short there but travel takes a long time.). Not ideal because it was cold as we couldn't properly shut the door. Best used for sandwiches!