Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campsite recommendation resource

zerofour

zerofour

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I'm looking for a good resource of recommended UK sites. After a quick search on here I can't seem to find anything. Does one exist?

I'm looking for a good resource of recommended UK sites. After a quick search on here I can't seem to find anything. Does one exist?
C&CC, C&MC are good places to start. Then there's ACSI sites, wild camping sites and numerous apps.

To be honest I'm finding there's almost too many and the choice overwhelming. My starting point is to put the name in the search on here and so far I've always found one. Other than that worth asking.

Mike

I do prefer to go by personal recommendation and as you say the choice is somewhat overwhelming. I'm not sure if it's been discussed before but it would be good to have a resource on here for 'Cali friendly' sites – especially for newbies like me.

Reactions: C&C
I do prefer to go by personal recommendation and as you say the choice is somewhat overwhelming. I'm not sure if it's been discussed before but it would be good to have a resource on here for 'Cali friendly' sites – especially for newbies like me.
I tend to use the web for searching so to search this site I use

site:vwcaliforniaclub.com

Followed by the word.

So as an example site:vwcaliforniaclub.com York

Very difficult to have a specific resource.

Mike

A couple more ways:

1. Coolcamping (www.coolcamping.com) has a lot of good sites, although they tend to be very popular so may be tricky to get in during summer months, although most take bookings.

2. A more serendipitous way, and my favourite, is to browse an area of interest on Bing maps (https://www.bing.com/maps), switch to the Ordnance Survey map layer (drop-down menu top right of screen), and focus in until the 1:50,000 zoom layer appears. The OS 50k and 25k maps show campsites, although not their names. But you can easily Google around to find the site's website and other reviews etc, and (crucially) use the large scale map to figure out the actual walking distance to the nearest pub.

ALL the information on this Forum is provided by members for members. So, unless a Member is going to co-ordinate all the site information or recommendations made on the Forum then I'm afraid that is not going to happen.

There is a Campsite Reviews section on the forum but unfortunately not enough people use it.

There is a Campsite Reviews section on the forum but unfortunately not enough people use it.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure myself that there would be a lot of point for us on this forum to try to review, systematically, campsites. Although there's no reason at all not to natter about them of course.

While we all have something in common, ie a particular brand of campervans, I wouldn't expect our tastes and preferences in campsites to be more uniform than the wider community of campers. My dream site might be your nightmare!

One of the reasons I love the Cali, is that I like "wild camping". The problem with spots recommend on the web is that they get quite crowded. I have found some great spots to overnight by using google street view to examine an area of interest.

Charles

Thanks for your comments. It would help if I scrolled down the first page of the forum section of this website as there is tons more content that I didn't realise was there including the 'fun and travel' threads!

Thanks for your comments. It would help if I scrolled down the first page of the forum section of this website as there is tons more content that I didn't realise was there including the 'fun and travel' threads!

Don't worry, there's loads of stuff I've never found. Apparently there are some threads about Roof Corrosion somewhere on here... :Grin

Where is this please Larry. My searches haven’t revealed it. Thanks

Forums section, Review Centre.

The Park4night app lets you filter sites by rating.

Back