Can you identify this tyre valve?

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Can anyone identify the type of tyre valve in the photo below? It's on an early Cali but isn't OEM.
IMG_20190905_212446.jpg
It doesn't appear to want to unscrew - it might do with force but I don't want to force it and twist it out of the tyre. Press the white button and air escapes, just like pressing the pin.
My foot pump won't latch onto it.

I'm at a bit of a loss how to pump up the tyres. Asked at a local garage today and they'd ever seen them.
Your advice welcomed.

Have you tried a presta bike pump? Hard to tell the diameter from the photo.

Looks like one of those pressure loss warning ones where a drop in pressure turns the end red?

Something like these? In which case just unscrew it to find the normal valve underneath.

Tire+Check+Tire+Pressure+Sensor+Pack+20-42+PSI_L.jpg

Last edited:
I have never seen a valve like that , if it’s a presta it must have a cover over the brass stem the cover would bethe black bit, which must be screwed onto the long brass body of the threaded presta valve, the threaded body of the valve would presumably be under the black cover, the white end cap looks like an air release cap ( white bit), if it’s a presta, but it looks like it would not allow inflation ( only deflation) ! If it’s a presta the black cover would unscrew from the main body of the valve (lefty loosely) it looks like the plastic cover has some notches to allow some purchase to be applied and assist the turning of the cover ?

I’m sure that just unscrews but is seized on the thread, you could try heating it up a bit with a hairdryer.
If you think you need to use lots of force, first drive to your nearest tyre dealer and get the pliers on them, that way if you end up pulling the brass stem out(I have had this happen in the past with stupid metal caps ) then you are in the right place to get a new valve put in, if they come off okay, then drive away.

Thanks everyone for your input. I’ll another quick look but then follow Loz’s idea and get a bit more energetic with them parked outside of a tyre place.

I've looked at the picture so many times but have only just worked out that that it is a wheel trim on the wheel ! Doh......

It is screwed on the tyre valve so it must unscrew. I would take off the trim, park with the tyre valve at the top and get some WD40 in-between the schrader valve and that cap.
Best to spray some WD40 into a small container and use something like a cocktail stick to get it into the gap.
If it still refuses to move and assuming it is all plastic then I'd try a piece of wood on one side and a stanley knife on the other and cut at the base where the threads are until it frees.
Another thought, is the valve core actually still in the schrader valve proper?
Good idea to have a spare valve and a good air pump ready or, as Loz has said, be near to a tame tyre fitter........
Good luck with it.

I've looked at the picture so many times but have only just worked out that that it is a wheel trim on the wheel ! Doh......
Sorry, yes I should have noted it’s an official vw trim on a regular 16” steel. The threaded idea suggests the valve looks very short.

Thanks @B J G. That is almost the same. What puzzles me is how you are meant to inflate them (or check pressure) with the extender in place. Using the link you supplied I found similar at Halfords.l, but these have a thread for the pump to grab, and are the correct size. https://www.halfords.com/workshop-t...ssentials/halfords-metal-valve-tyre-extenders

Anyway, as I update, I followed the advice here and parked by the local tyre man. Took the wheel trims off and (with huge effort) managed to unscrew them to reveal conventional valves. I had to brace the valve against the steel and use pliers on a couple of the extenders.
I'm really puzzled as the previous owner (deceased unfortunately) was an aircraft engineer and everything with the van is 100% detailed, organised and accurate, so these defy logic.

THese look like the exact items.

Thanks @B J G. That is almost the same. What puzzles me is how you are meant to inflate them (or check pressure) with the extender in place. Using the link you supplied I found similar at Halfords.l, but these have a thread for the pump to grab, and are the correct size. https://www.halfords.com/workshop-t...ssentials/halfords-metal-valve-tyre-extenders

Anyway, as I update, I followed the advice here and parked by the local tyre man. Took the wheel trims off and (with huge effort) managed to unscrew them to reveal conventional valves. I had to brace the valve against the steel and use pliers on a couple of the extenders.
I'm really puzzled as the previous owner (deceased unfortunately) was an aircraft engineer and everything with the van is 100% detailed, organised and accurate, so these defy logic.
Meant for bicycle wheels where a normal bike pump would be used. it should have been possible to use with an air line but no screw on cap. As you say a puzzle why someone with his background would use them when proper ones are available or just longer tyre valves.

Thanks again all those who've contributed. I've kept them for curiosity and will try and get a close up photo of the difference in diameter between the top of the 'extender' and the end of my foot pump (which fits the conventional valve as you'd expect).

Those were standard on steel wheels with full covers.
The normal length of the valve is too short to pump up the tyres. Unless you want to take the cover off each time, you put on one like these and you can just pump up the tyres without the hassle of taking off the cover, or turning off the cap and try to get the pump up the valve.
With alloys going more and more standard, they are getting obsolete.
The other solution would be to get longer valves installed when fitting new tyres, so it is easier to get off the cap and pumping the tyres.

Just watch out with them, as they tend to get stuck at one time, releasing the pressure in the tyre, leaving you with a flat one day.

Those were standard on steel wheels with full covers.
The normal length of the valve is too short to pump up the tyres. Unless you want to take the cover off each time, you put on one like these and you can just pump up the tyres without the hassle of taking off the cover, or turning off the cap and try to get the pump up the valve.
With alloys going more and more standard, they are getting obsolete.
The other solution would be to get longer valves installed when fitting new tyres, so it is easier to get off the cap and pumping the tyres.

Just watch out with them, as they tend to get stuck at one time, releasing the pressure in the tyre, leaving you with a flat one day.
Thanks. The remaining mystery if what you pump them up with once fitted! The accessible end doesn't fit anything I have at home or have seen at a fuel station.

Normally it fits for a regular car tyre pump. You just need to hold the nose pressed on the valve cap because it won't grip behind the thread that isn't there.

Normally it fits for a regular car tyre pump. You just need to hold the nose pressed on the valve cap because it won't grip behind the thread that isn't there.
Not with these. I've now removed them and tried and tried to get a regular hose to fit. The ones others linked to this thread I can see will fit a hose, but not these.