Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Canterbury and Kent October camping trip

gvick

gvick

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
We are doing our first Autumn trip this year - going to Canterbury then Dover, followed by a loop round to Sanwich, Boadstairs finishing up in Whitstable over 3 days.

Any tips or must sees anyone can recommend? :thumb

We are doing our first Autumn trip this year - going to Canterbury then Dover, followed by a loop round to Sanwich, Boadstairs finishing up in Whitstable over 3 days.

I think Canterbury is the only place in the UK with an Aire. May be worth checking out.

I think Canterbury is the only place in the UK with an Aire. May be worth checking out.

Canterbury Motorhome Aire

246 Old Dover Rd, Canterbury CT1 3EU

https://g.co/kgs/zV6cRD

You can park overnight on Dover sea front, also nice walk along the cliffs from the NT white cliffs centre to North Foreland Lighthouse the dover tunnels are well worth a look at but think they are closed due to covid unsure about the lighthouse being open but cafe at both ends, Also chance of sighting a spitfire out from Headcorn or Biggin..

Thanks @Nick Stubbs and @Lightning defo worth a look

Don’t know about anyone else but can’t stop clay bar/waxing my Cali - it has to look it’s best before a trip.

Autumn packing = light packing only two boxes of food water filler and then bedding and coats .

9A2FEAFB-000C-4F1E-BEF5-647008C13314.jpeg

01D60CD3-E7AC-4F9F-85E1-967836147E7E.jpeg

depends on the facilities that you want but an alternative to old Dover road Aire in Canterbury is the Camping and caravan club site next to the hospital. It depends how much you want to be away from your neighbours and if you want a shower.Bus stop virtually outside and 5 minutes you are in the Town centre although I would prefer to walk to a place just before the centre, St Martins church. One of the oldest in England if not the oldest, dates from the 6th century, original blocks of stone still remain, and it is still a functioning church. It was the original home of St Augustine before his Abbey and the Cathedral.

The Cathedral is interesting but if you are not careful it soon deteriorates into an ABC tour (Another bloody city, another bloody cathedral, another bloody Castle). Great restaurants though, if they will be allowed to open.

Some great recommendations for Dover above, the Castle is huge, take a packed lunch, the white cliffs are amazing and the cafe is brilliant (if open) and if going to the Castle do spend a few minutes at the Bleriot memorial,

Last edited:
Don’t know about anyone else but can’t stop clay bar/waxing my Cali - it has to look it’s best before a trip.

Autumn packing = light packing only two boxes of food water filler and then bedding and coats .

View attachment 67765

View attachment 67766

Mine is quite desperate for a clean and I'm away again tomorrow for a week. As I'm only back for five days before going off again the chances of it being clean for Christmas are looking slight!!

Not too far from you tomorrow, Tonbridge.

In Whitstable..

Breakfast:
Windy Corner Stores & Cafe
110 Nelson Rd, Whitstable CT5 1DZ

Neptune Pub (if its open):

Food delivered to your van:

Restaurant near the Beach:

For excellent food, £££! but need to book:

Hi @GrannyJen and @Ch1pbutty thank you got the suggestions.
We stayed at the Canterbury camping club site mostly for the onsite dog walking nature reserve.
Now if so no pics but had a beautiful breakfast outside in the sunshine..

Off to Dover castle, lunch st the coastguard inn and then Broadstairs before heading to whitstable.

Not camping related but Deal is worth a visit...and if you want a stop off before Whitstable then Herne Bay for a walk on the pier etc.

Battle of Britain Memorial, just off the B2011 between Dover and Folkestone.

I grew up in Whitstable and lived in Herne Bay for around 10 years.

Nice campsite at Upstreet ( Nethergong). Whitstable food try Jojos which is fantastic, would second Windy Stores (had my 40th birthday party there!). Some nice beaches in Thanet such as Joss Bay, go up the lighthouse at North Foreland, Broadstairs is pretty in a1950’s sort of way, good cafe on Deal pier, Faversham worth a visit (you can do a brewery tour at Shepherd Neame), hire a canoe at Fordwich on the river stour, the Goods Shed in Canterbury for food, you can cycle most of the way from Whitstable on the Ceab and Winkle line (one of the earliest railways in the world), The Granville is a nice pub on stone St and the Compasses at Crundale is good. Port Lymne near Hythe or Howletts near Canterbury good zoos. Lots to do!!

Thank you for all the recommendations
We had a fab 3 days away.

The Coast Guard inn (Dover) allows you to stay over if you buy a meal.

We went to Sandwich, Deal , Broadstairs and finally a meal at the Barn In Whitstable- lovely now to be home.

Due to all the rain I will have to finish trip where I began- giving it a good hoovering and wash:headbang

FDC3F20C-C685-422E-BD69-49775F9000CE.jpeg3D8BD4CC-1C36-4BC3-AB6A-D0BF6A81B31A.jpegC2618A20-BA73-41E8-9C9F-4089E2209461.jpeg

Hi all I have family in Deal I’ve been watching the chitchat. If your u in Lancashire after lockdown is released Fairhaven Lake has roadside parking limits18 hours with no return within 1 hour. It’s 50yards from the beach area with pay toilets on the south end of the lake - great spot for o/n close to Lytham & St.Annes with Blackpool 10-15 mins drive away Pleasure Beach etc.( Newbie Cali owner ).

Hi all I have family in Deal I’ve been watching the chitchat. If your u in Lancashire after lockdown is released Fairhaven Lake has roadside parking limits18 hours with no return within 1 hour. It’s 50yards from the beach area with pay toilets on the south end of the lake - great spot for o/n close to Lytham & St.Annes with Blackpool 10-15 mins drive away Pleasure Beach etc.( Newbie Cali owner ).
Thank @JPCL

Sandwich Leisure if you plan on stopping over there

Back