Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Car Play/Native VW Nav

JuanVecino2023

JuanVecino2023

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Connection to CarPlay is bizarrely sporadic. Sometimes connects happily automatically when I turn the ignition on. Sometimes refuses to work at all.

I have WiFi. Also connected using a USB-C and Bluetooth.

The other day, I was happily navigating with Apple Maps via CarPlay. I accessed the sound menu on infotainment panel to adjust the speaker settings.

Apple Maps disappeared to be replaced with native VW Nav. Nothing I did would bring Apple Maps (and my live navigation back). Bizarrely Apple Music was still playing.

I had to nav looking at my phone the rest of the journey as I was on the M5.

Also, is it possible to get Apple Maps to display in the instrument cluster instead of VWs awful nav?

Not being a Luddite, never had this problem in any other car I’ve owned or even rented.

My experience with it has been fine except when I initially setup with Bluetooth and then connected with USB C. Seemed to get confused as between the two connections. I now use exclusively Bluetooth and if the phone needs charging use the usb connector next to the sink - solely as a charging point. This way it connects as soon as ignition is on and stays connected. Doing other stuff on the infotainment ststem or whatever it is. Also fine. Just hit the App button once finished and its back to Apple Map or Google Maps - whatever it was I was using.

Connection to CarPlay is bizarrely sporadic. Sometimes connects happily automatically when I turn the ignition on. Sometimes refuses to work at all.

I have WiFi. Also connected using a USB-C and Bluetooth.

The other day, I was happily navigating with Apple Maps via CarPlay. I accessed the sound menu on infotainment panel to adjust the speaker settings.

Apple Maps disappeared to be replaced with native VW Nav. Nothing I did would bring Apple Maps (and my live navigation back). Bizarrely Apple Music was still playing.

I had to nav looking at my phone the rest of the journey as I was on the M5.

Also, is it possible to get Apple Maps to display in the instrument cluster instead of VWs awful nav?

Not being a Luddite, never had this problem in any other car I’ve owned or even rented.

Is it wireless CarPlay or via a Blue tooth adaptor?

My experience with it has been fine except when I initially setup with Bluetooth and then connected with USB C. Seemed to get confused as between the two connections. I now use exclusively Bluetooth and if the phone needs charging use the usb connector next to the sink - solely as a charging point. This way it connects as soon as ignition is on and stays connected. Doing other stuff on the infotainment ststem or whatever it is. Also fine. Just hit the App button once finished and its back to Apple Map or Google Maps - whatever it was I was using.
That’s exactly my setup for phone charging / CarPlay. In my previous Cali it all went wrong when I tried to use the Wi-Fi/California On Tour app.
CarPlay randomly disconnecting and trying to reconnect via the van Wi-Fi, Bluetooth showing connection but not working, software updates not happening. I ended up resetting the whole vehicle back to factory and never touching Wi-Fi button again!

That’s exactly my setup for phone charging / CarPlay. In my previous Cali it all went wrong when I tried to use the Wi-Fi/California On Tour app.
CarPlay randomly disconnecting and trying to reconnect via the van Wi-Fi, Bluetooth showing connection but not working, software updates not happening. I ended up resetting the whole vehicle back to factory and never touching Wi-Fi button again!
Similar with my sons cheap Android unit, Wireless Carplay/AA works fine with Bluetooth connection until you switch Wifi on then it goes on and off.

I think it’s when you link via Bluetooth and also plug it in to the USB-C port as @m10chkcalifornia says. I don’t have Wi-Fi but that may also be an added confusion for it. I now charge using a USB converter plugged into the 12v charging point at the front.

Last edited:
CarPlay randomly disconnecting and trying to reconnect via the van Wi-Fi, Bluetooth showing connection but not working, software updates not happening. I ended up resetting the whole vehicle back to factory and never touching Wi-Fi button again![/QUOTE]

This happened to me too. All working fine until I tried that stupid WiFi button and got the loop of CarPlay-Disconnect-WiFi
Note although CarPlay works, my phone connects to the Cali WiFi so it doesn’t try to use mobile data (I guess because it thinks it has a good WiFi connection). So although I can see maps, navigation didn’t work.
Anyone managed to sort this out? It should be better than this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note although CarPlay works, my phone connects to the Cali WiFi so it doesn’t try to use mobile data (I guess because it thinks it has a good WiFi connection). So although I can see maps, navigation didn’t work.
Anyone managed to sort this out? It should be better than this!

I had the problem with my first T6.1 - you need to stop your phone connecting to the van wifi, unless you have an extra paid for data package for the van sim, your van won't have data available for your phone to use, so no internet connection.

You need to connect the van via your phone rather than your phone via the van if that makes sense.

Thanks. I think I understand.
Any advice on how I stop my phone connecting to the van? Just forget the network?

Thanks. I think I understand.
Any advice on how I stop my phone connecting to the van? Just forget the network?

I cant remember how I did it but the manual suggests:

IMG_3777.jpeg

Thanks. Will try that tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had lots of Apple Play issues up until about a year ago when it went in for a service and the infotainment system had a software update/ reinstall. It took the dealer around 3 hours. It would crash all the time and we got into the Wi-Fi loop as identified above. Since then it’s been fairly stable with just the odd glitch with Google Maps going blank. We tend to use Apple Maps now as the turn directions are clear, and they appear in the speedo display.

We had lots of Apple Play issues up until about a year ago when it went in for a service and the infotainment system had a software update/ reinstall. It took the dealer around 3 hours. It would crash all the time and we got into the Wi-Fi loop as identified above. Since then it’s been fairly stable with just the odd glitch with Google Maps going blank. We tend to use Apple Maps now as the turn directions are clear, and they appear in the speedo display.
Hi - useful post - just to confirm, are you connecting via Bluetooth or WiFi now?

And whichever you use,’are you able to charge via the USB port next to the gear lever? I appreciate the tips on using the kitchen USB port, but it seems daft in a brand new £70k wagon to need to clamber into the back to charge my phone.

Last edited:
I cant remember how I did it but the manual suggests:

View attachment 127561
As an update, following this very helpful advice, my iPhone is now working again. It connects via either Bluetooth or USB if plugged in to the port by the gear shift. It's a bit laggy but I think that's the way of CarPlay for now.
So now my question is ... what do people do about placing their phones when plugged into the USB ports? I'm not a fan of my current set-up which is to put phones into the drinks holder with a long cable dangling around the place. I don't really need to see the phone when it's plugged in, as it all happens via CarPlay ... any suggestions?

As an update, following this very helpful advice, my iPhone is now working again. It connects via either Bluetooth or USB if plugged in to the port by the gear shift. It's a bit laggy but I think that's the way of CarPlay for now.
So now my question is ... what do people do about placing their phones when plugged into the USB ports? I'm not a fan of my current set-up which is to put phones into the drinks holder with a long cable dangling around the place. I don't really need to see the phone when it's plugged in, as it all happens via CarPlay ... any suggestions?
I use a Brandrup Tialo holds a phone + sunglasses & use a 150mm long charger cable. Pic from the Brandrup brochure below. tialo.png

Fifty odd quid though! Ouch.

Could someone please translate the post above for me even google translate cant help? I expect it says something like "brilliant but How much!!!!!" IMG_3799.jpeg

Sorry. There’s something wrong with TapATalk for iPhone if you reply. Well there is on my iPhone.

Quite right. It says “Fifty odd quid though? Ouch”

Sorry. There’s something wrong with TapATalk for iPhone if you reply. Well there is on my iPhone.

Quite right. It says “Fifty odd quid though? Ouch”

Money well spent though, it's used every time that I get in the van & actually solves a problem so one the best extras that I've bought but its very rarely mentioned on here.
I also have the other little pocket shown below but don't use it where they've shown it , Ive got it the other side of the gear selector, that keeps parking change, extra strong mints & receipts handy. The central cup holder is used with the VW ashtray as a small bin.pouch.png

Ah! Is that what that black thing is that’s normally in one of the cup holders on top of the dashboard? I had no idea what it was for.

Looks like you’ve got a good set-up there. Perhaps I just have to go with it.

Hi - useful post - just to confirm, are you connecting via Bluetooth or WiFi now?

And whichever you use,’are you able to charge via the USB port next to the gear lever? I appreciate the tips on using the kitchen USB port, but it seems daft in a brand new £70k wagon to need to clamber into the back to charge my phone.
We usually use the usb lead to plug in adjacent to the ashtray recess. But it also works okay just on Bluetooth. The phone charges while in use.

We usually use the usb lead to plug in adjacent to the ashtray recess. But it also works okay just on Bluetooth. The phone charges while in use.
Thanks for confirming. I will get the system to forget my phone, delete from Bluetooth etc & start again.

Back