Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Car tax

Mines due in july and will have the extra £355 added, going to pay monthly and SORN in end sept until it rolls over the 5 year anniversary a couple weeks later then see if that saves the extra added!
Not sure how that will work but worth a shot.
That won’t make any difference, it’s six years not five. There’s the initial years tax when you buy it then the following five years of renewals have the extra.

Pay per mile stinks. Anyone that thinks that is OK is a bell end in my opinion we already pay per mile on fuel duty. People HAVE TO drive where I live. There is no alternative. We don't all live in London with our electric volvos and tube trains.
I agree. If we have pay per mile forced on us then fuel duty would need to be abolished..The Government can’t have it all ways.

I meant all vehicle road tax ..not fuel duty. But how would you implement it on rural roads.
I suppose it could be done based on MOT milage?

I suppose it could be done based on MOT milage?
But even more of an incentive for a new wave of clocking just before your MOT was due. And certainly on vehicles that did a higher mileage. Most people don’t mind pay as you go but the idea of a big bill all at once .....

Road tax isn’t an issue, the differing rates are there to influence societal behaviours. Once we have changed over to less polluting cars, those rates will all be altered to influence new behaviours.

The issue is fuel duties in an electric car world! Those billions in revenue will disappear with the removal of fossil fuels from our fill up stations.

How does government raise that shortfall in taxes then?

The fair answer has to be based on how much you use your car. I wouldn’t be surprised if road tax bands started to reflect MOT mileages and vehicle weight. I also wouldn’t be surprised if road tax became a monthly payment to spread the cost throughout the year.

But even more of an incentive for a new wave of clocking just before your MOT was due. And certainly on vehicles that did a higher mileage. Most people don’t mind pay as you go but the idea of a big bill all at once .....
Rishi needs all the cash he can extract from the decent tax paying mugs, expect the smart naughty people to magically clone said decent people's registration plates and ensure all their phoney licence's are impeccable.

Pay per mile stinks. Anyone that thinks that is OK is a bell end in my opinion we already pay per mile on fuel duty. People HAVE TO drive where I live. There is no alternative. We don't all live in London with our electric volvos and tube trains.

Anyone who doesn’t understand, they already pay per mile. Must be a bit of a bell end…

When they go to Pay per Mile that will replace Fuel Duty, so ALL vehicles will pay. EV vehicles will also have Road Tax introduced when they stop selling IC vehicles.
That won’t make any difference, it’s six years not five. There’s the initial years tax when you buy it then the following five years of renewals have the extra.
We bought our Beach at 3 months old from the dealer and had to pay the additional tax when we purchased it. I presume we have to pay the extra until the vehicle is 6 years old, which would mean we pay the additional rate for 5 years and 9 months. It’s all a little confusing. Does that sound right?

I think you might find, could be wrong, that SORNing the vehicle just suspends the extra payment, not cancel it.
The sorn doesn't extend the 5 years. My 5 years are up in December. I sorned for part of the covid lockdown and this years ddm payment schedule has remaining months of the 5 years at the high rate and the lower amount from 5th anniversary.

The sorn doesn't extend the 5 years. My 5 years are up in December. I sorned for part of the covid lockdown and this years ddm payment schedule has remaining months of the 5 years at the high rate and the lower amount from 5th anniversary.
Are you sure that’s right?
The DVLA site clearly states that “you only have to pay years for 5 years (from the second time the vehicle is taxed)”
ie until the car is six years old.
As the extra payment came in on the 1 st April 2017 the earliest a car won’t need to pay the extra is April 2023

I have just used the GOV.Uk site to check if my car is taxed. Amongst the other information given is Date of First Registration - November 2017
Additional rate applicable until 31 October 2023

Last edited:
Can only go by what's showing on my ddm schedule. Fingers crossed it isn't a DVLA glitch.

First registration December 17,

Ddm 45.50 up to and including December, then 14.45 for balance of the year up to renewal in April 2023.

Time will tell....

I’ve just found my direct debit schedule & it carries on at the higher rate past five years.

When the current 12 Months tax runs out it will be 5 years 3 months old & the direct debit remains constant.

Of the 24k Miles our van has done in 7 years I estimate that half has been done in France and Spain. So just wondering how they would work “Pay per mile” if only half done in the UK. Or would I expect a bill from the French and Spanish governments as well? Or possibly a complicated form to fill in on return from hols....

Hi , I’m just about to tax my van , bloody £360!!! I thought my t5 was bad being near the £300 mark . Anybody with a similar confirm this is right as I thought it was a bit cheaper than this , I also thought being a Motor caravan that it was a bit cheaper
HI

Mines A 1997 T4 California , at £295 per year. Seems to jump after 2001.

RegardsSteve

Of the 24k Miles our van has done in 7 years I estimate that half has been done in France and Spain. So just wondering how they would work “Pay per mile” if only half done in the UK. Or would I expect a bill from the French and Spanish governments as well? Or possibly a complicated form to fill in on return from hols....
Who knows?
One way or another the Government, whoever is In power has to make up the lost revenue from fuel duty and Road Tax somehow. They cannot do it through general taxation it has to be something targeted at the car owning and car using population only.

Back