Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Caravelle Business model

coordinated

coordinated

VIP Member
In case you haven't seen it: the Caravelle Business.

"With WiFi and a champagne cooler as standard, it's the ultimate vehicle for the modern businessman." (presumably businesswomen are more sensible, and get a Cali? :grin: ).

More details and pictures here.
It's got a very impressive spec ... they sensibly leave the price until the end :lol: (though I imagine compared to a limo, it's pretty reasonable).

"The Caravelle Business is designed to be a mobile conference room with state of the art technology, including Wi-Fi internet connectivity and Bluetooth, within a luxuriously appointed interior.

VW sees the Caravelle Business offering the advantage of more space and convenience than most luxury limousines, with the benefit of six seats (including driver), a rear lounge area with four individual seats and an adjustable table. Like every Caravelle, the two middle seats swivel to face forwards or backwards, but the Business is upgraded with the highest quality Nappa leather upholstery while the rear bench seat is replaced by an opulent twin seat console, which is multi-adjustable and heated with an integrated fridge between the seats.

The interior of the Caravelle Business is enhanced with burr wood inserts in the rear passenger compartment, plus the added safety of curtain airbags, while for the driver's convenience there is cruise control, satellite navigation with 6.5 in colour screen and 30GB hard drive, a leather multi-function steering wheel, lane change assist to warn of vehicles in the driver's blind spot, and a programmable heater to ensure the interior can always be ready at the desired temperature. A second battery with cut-off relay ensures the rear seating area can be powered independently.

Externally, the Caravelle Business features privacy glass, 17in alloy wheels, darkened rear light clusters, electrically folding door mirrors and a laminated windscreen for improved noise damping. It also has front and rear parking sensors with reversing camera and Xenon headlights with automatic activation, LED daytime running lights, headlamp washer system and heated front washer jets, while electric sliding side doors provide easy access and exit for rear passengers.

Performance comes from Volkswagen's most powerful 2.0-litre 180PS bi-turbo TDI engine. With 400 Nm of torque from 1,500 rpm, combined with DSG transmission as standard, the Caravelle Business also manages 34.9 mpg on the combined cycle and Euro5 emissions of 214 g/km.

The Caravelle Business is now on sale with retail prices starting from £53,856 (plus VAT), or £56,069 (plus VAT) with 4MOTION transmission."

coordinated said:
In case you haven't seen it: the Caravelle Business.

"With WiFi and a champagne cooler as standard, it's the ultimate vehicle for the modern businessman." (presumably businesswomen are more sensible, and get a Cali? :grin: ).

More details and pictures here.
It's got a very impressive spec ... they sensibly leave the price until the end :lol: (though I imagine compared to a limo, it's pretty reasonable).

"The Caravelle Business is designed to be a mobile conference room with state of the art technology, including Wi-Fi internet connectivity and Bluetooth, within a luxuriously appointed interior.

VW sees the Caravelle Business offering the advantage of more space and convenience than most luxury limousines, with the benefit of six seats (including driver), a rear lounge area with four individual seats and an adjustable table. Like every Caravelle, the two middle seats swivel to face forwards or backwards, but the Business is upgraded with the highest quality Nappa leather upholstery while the rear bench seat is replaced by an opulent twin seat console, which is multi-adjustable and heated with an integrated fridge between the seats.

The interior of the Caravelle Business is enhanced with burr wood inserts in the rear passenger compartment, plus the added safety of curtain airbags, while for the driver's convenience there is cruise control, satellite navigation with 6.5 in colour screen and 30GB hard drive, a leather multi-function steering wheel, lane change assist to warn of vehicles in the driver's blind spot, and a programmable heater to ensure the interior can always be ready at the desired temperature. A second battery with cut-off relay ensures the rear seating area can be powered independently.

Externally, the Caravelle Business features privacy glass, 17in alloy wheels, darkened rear light clusters, electrically folding door mirrors and a laminated windscreen for improved noise damping. It also has front and rear parking sensors with reversing camera and Xenon headlights with automatic activation, LED daytime running lights, headlamp washer system and heated front washer jets, while electric sliding side doors provide easy access and exit for rear passengers.

Performance comes from Volkswagen's most powerful 2.0-litre 180PS bi-turbo TDI engine. With 400 Nm of torque from 1,500 rpm, combined with DSG transmission as standard, the Caravelle Business also manages 34.9 mpg on the combined cycle and Euro5 emissions of 214 g/km.

The Caravelle Business is now on sale with retail prices starting from £53,856 (plus VAT), or £56,069 (plus VAT) with 4MOTION transmission."

Yeah there was one for sale - LHD import obviously - 05 plate - they are lovely. They are born out of the T3 Carat Spec in the 80's

Not to be confused with my Vanagon Carat :)

I'm planning to use the Cali in July/Aug as a mobile office - check the weather drive off somewhere nice, hook up the 3g and "work from home"

Mrs K has already used it as a meeting room extension to the office

I've ordered two... :lol:

As above, we have used ours as a mobile office a number of times. Ideal for it!

I am all for pushing the envelope with cars, but the fundamental build quality of vw transporter vans does not support this price tag

I have had all manner of rattles in my 61 plate and have made investigations as to where they are coming from. The plastic covers in the driver's footwell for example are a right mish mash that could have come from a tvr. The trim around the front seat belts is also rather poor I am afraid.

I love the Cali, but the basic t5 build is clearly transit van rather than limousine.

Have to agree, the T5 facelift has a few items missing from the original T5 and it looks like VW cost cutting and the overall quality of the California is a bit iffy. The previous T4 Westfalia California i owned was better built and more solid than the present California interior. The present California interior is probably more lighter and saves a bit of weight but still think the quality could be better.

Very expensive vehicle. I'll let you know when someone comes and orders one :laugh2

I think in Germany there is a market for these vans - you have to remember the T5 range, even the California is marketed in a different way.

Multivans for example sell for serious money with little problem.

James

What is a Multivan?! Keep hearing about them, know nothing on them!

KernowLad said:
What is a Multivan?! Keep hearing about them, know nothing on them!

That's a complicated question and I may need help with this one...

In Germany a Carravelle is not a Caravelle it is a Multivan - in Germany a Caravelle is the same as a Shuttle here....

This is no surprise because back in the 1980's the Caravelle was only ever a 'mini bus' or shuttle vehicle - when VW introduced the T3 multivans they were the more upmarket people movers.

For example the Caravelle Limited Edition 25 is not a Caravelle - it's a Multivan - but we don't have them in the uk so VW calls it the Caravelle. Just to confuse it, the Caravelle badge has been around since about 1983 - Multivans are, 25 years old.

Following???? lol

Multivans were never sold in the UK (apart from a few t4's) - in essence you get a table attached to the sidewall and a seat which folds into a bed and two rear facing taxi seats or as with the T5 two moveable seats.

Now to confuse it - the modern T5 Multivan has either one sliding door and table that folds out of the sidewall or the UK Caravelle layout with two sliding doors and a moveable table.

We don't technically get the Multivan with one sliding door, I say technically, because the full Cali and the Beach are Multivans with one slider a few mods in the Beach you can even see the multivan lashing points.

Someone might need to correct me on why some Multivans have one sliding door and some two all the one sliding door but I believe the Multivans with one sliding door and the fold out table appear to be 'Team' editions

Interestingly the handbook goes into great detail about Multivans even though they are not on sale in the UK.

Finally Multivans generally have a higher spec then even UK Caravelles - and the cabin finish is meant to be a of a greater quality for example wood inlays or colour dash display. They also get a different dash which is not available in the UK - the dash is meant to be less 'commercial' and more stylish with a better quality plastic. This dash is fitted to LHD Calis (not the Beach). Here in the UK we tend to think of the T5 in any form as a van. In Germany the Multivans are sold as MPV's with the impression that they are meant to be that way.

if you want to see some of the origins of your Cali - then look at the door cards - they are high end German Multivan cards covered in soft material - the ones in the Beach are standard plastic transporter ones.

Hope this helps

James

Back