Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 BIKE RACK QUESTIONS

I believe I read a post saying VW had withdrawn the old one that fits T6

Mike

I believe I read a post saying VW had withdrawn the old one that fits T6

Mike
Really? I wonder why?
@Smudge i think SMG Cowfold or Liverpool Vans are offering a 10% discount to VIP members on accessories.

I hope not, how long ago was this? Was it on this forum?

Thanks Dave
I will give these guys a chance on the off chance that they are still doing them, fingers crossed!!

Looking through the thread I can't seem to see an answer to your first question, I've also added my comments within your quoted post.

IMG_4534.JPG
I'd be very grateful for some info regarding the T6 bike rack.

1.How long are the channels that the bike wheels stand in? (My bike has a longer wheelbase).

134cm

2. Is it best to go with the VW rack, or are other makes better? Fiamma/Thule??

I believe the T6 rack is a Thule, it is high quality and is a better carrier than the T5 rack. You'll have to your own conclusion regarding the look.

3. The van is nearly 5 metres long and the ferry I use frequently has a max length of 5 metres. Does the bike rack (folded) stick out enough to make the van over 5 metres?

I've not had a problem (even with a Thule boot box fitted)

4. If the rack does stick out too far, can it easily be removed for the ferry crossing and re-fitted the other side?

Fixed with two security Allen type bolts and should come with a removal tool. Takes 2 mins to remove.

5. If decent 'fitted' racks are not going to work, has anyone tried a strap-on rack?

I'd fit a Tanden on the roof.

Hi Old Sid, I'm keen to know what you eventually decided to do. We have two tandems and I'd like to carry them the same way. Looks like the Thule Raceway may well be the way to go. (Currently awaiting delivery of our Cali Beach).

Hi Old Sid, I'm keen to know what you eventually decided to do. We have two tandems and I'd like to carry them the same way. Looks like the Thule Raceway may well be the way to go. (Currently awaiting delivery of our Cali Beach).

I guess we've been lucky in that we have been loaned a 'Saris Bones' rack. It straps on securely, lifts the bike above the lights and folds easily. The downward straps do not obscure the number plate and the contact points are not on the glass. I add two extra straps through the tailgate hinges as a precaution. The rack is of good quality and easy to adjust to fit.

Having said all that, I still have some doubts.
- I'm not all that keep on the idea of strap-on racks. It all seems a bit dodgy to me. The extra straps around the hinges give me peace of mind.
- I don't really like our precious tandem exposed to the wet and road dirt so I'm currently looking to find a surf board bag for it.
- I have only tried it with our smaller Circe Helios tandem which can be partly disassembled and is therefore considerably shorter and much less tall. I'm not sure the full-sized tandem would fit.
- The Circe actually fits into a cheap sleeping bag and is therefore easy to transport inside the van, even with the seats up.

[QUOTE="
- The Circe actually fits into a cheap sleeping bag and is therefore easy to transport inside the van, even with the seats up.[/QUOTE]
Of course, been looking at solutions for putting my carbon bike inside on occasions and have a very old lightweight double one hanging around

Mike

Apologies for piggy-backing onto this thread but I have a T6 bike rack question too!

Are they available in BLACK ?

Every rack I've seen is silver but:

IMG_7863+sml.jpg

I'm still leaning toward a tow bar rack but the Mrs thinks these fitted racks "complete" the California. We have a Candy Beach on order and black would go nicely with the black awning cover.

I've realised the photo above is probably of a T5 rack, but the question of colour remains.
Cheers

Not available in black but a few people have taken them apart and got them painted.

I guess we've been lucky in that we have been loaned a 'Saris Bones' rack. It straps on securely, lifts the bike above the lights and folds easily. The downward straps do not obscure the number plate and the contact points are not on the glass. I add two extra straps through the tailgate hinges as a precaution. The rack is of good quality and easy to adjust to fit.

- I'm not all that keep on the idea of strap-on racks. It all seems a bit dodgy to me. The extra straps around the hinges give me peace of mind.
- I don't really like our precious tandem exposed to the wet and road dirt so I'm currently looking to find a surf board bag for it.
- I have only tried it with our smaller Circe Helios tandem which can be partly disassembled and is therefore considerably shorter and much less tall. I'm not sure the full-sized tandem would fit.
- The Circe actually fits into a cheap sleeping bag and is therefore easy to transport inside the van, even with the seats up.

Thanks for the update Sid. I agree with some of your points here, especially regarding racks retained by straps. I'm not sure we'll be able to rely on carrying the tandems inside the van very often, so I think we'll end up with some sort of rack on the tailgate. May require some extra engineering on my part...

Went for the ugly one in the end. It doesn't look so bad. But feels way sturdier.
The only disappointment, it is just 60KG load. They advertised 70 but seems that's the overall limit for the rear door 74kg.
Is the old one just 50kg load? Because they advertise both together with new one at higher load.

Anyway my main use planned was for the extra baggage mounted on it. Like packed inflatable canoe, a bag with grill and other smelly dirty stuff.

Not sure about the Dover Ferries but Brittany Ferries charge extra for a bike rack, not a lot. The charge is for the rack and has nothing to do with the vehicle length. You could be charged for an empty rack as booking only asks if a rack is fitted. The number of bikes isn't asked.
I'm going the towball fitting route as if no bike carried the rack can be left at home or put inside the Cali.

On the ferries it is expensive if you have a roof mounted rack as you get into height surcharges.

Brittany van category is up to 5mtrs long and 2.6mtr high leaving about 0.4mtrs to play with.
From that it would be possible to put a bike on the roof flat on its side to keep under the 2.6mtr height and pay no surcharge.
Turning the handlebars and removing one pedal should be all that's required plus DIY work bolted to the roof bars to ensure secure support. Wooden slats come to mind.

I've applied the same principle with a roof box on my car but in that case I had to be under 1.84mtrs. Yes they do check.

After a bit of ferry pricing it seems that the main price hike is when you go from car to van heights.

Currently on Brittany it costs £8 each way for a rear bike rack. On the roof up to 4 mtrs total height it's £10 each way. Bit too high for me to get a bike up there.
I'd based my figures on car rates before as I've not booked the Cali as yet.

Last edited:

Hi Sid,
Could you give an update on the Saris Bones, we are still looking at options for bike racks and potentially the ability to remove them when not wanted. Go outdoors are currently offering these at less than £100, so we wondered how good it was for the money.
With having a T6 our options are more limited.

Any feedback appreciated

I'm looking to mount a tandem on our new T6 with a VW rack. A friend managed this with his T5 by moving the bike mount rails, one to the left and another to the right. He then mounted the tandem on a slight angle with a wheel supported by each of the repositioned rails. Wider, yes but still within the wing mirrors. He's in Africa now for 2 years so no pictures but I'm thinking to try the same. Any one seen similar or have experience of this?