Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Exhaust fumes in cabin - Carbon Monoxide

D

Deep Blue

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
California Ocean 204 PS 2.0 TDI (Nov 2017), 4000 miles.
I would be very grateful for advice.
In recent weeks, I have noticed unmistakeable engine exhaust fumes in the cabin. Most noticeable in the first few miles of driving. Can seem variable but at times so marked that I am coughing and need to open both door windows to clear the fumes or sometimes less obvious but leaving an unpleasant taste in the back of my throat. On a 250 mile round trip last week I was markedly drowsy on both legs of the journey, needed several lay-by stops and was very concerned about the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning. This is not from surrounding vehicles. The parking heater is off at all times.
Engine oil is clean, no visible obstruction in exhaust pipe, coolant level normal, nil obvious under bonnet whilst idling and I can't seem to either increase or decrease the fumes using the cabin heater and fan.
The vehicle is booked in at Breeze Vans (Poole) on 22 October to have this checked, plus first service (they were exceptionally helpful during the ordering process).
Naturally, I am very concerned at this so any suggestions and member's previous experience will be gratefully received.

California Ocean 204 PS 2.0 TDI (Nov 2017), 4000 miles.
I would be very grateful for advice.
In recent weeks, I have noticed unmistakeable engine exhaust fumes in the cabin. Most noticeable in the first few miles of driving. Can seem variable but at times so marked that I am coughing and need to open both door windows to clear the fumes or sometimes less obvious but leaving an unpleasant taste in the back of my throat. On a 250 mile round trip last week I was markedly drowsy on both legs of the journey, needed several lay-by stops and was very concerned about the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning. This is not from surrounding vehicles. The parking heater is off at all times.
Engine oil is clean, no visible obstruction in exhaust pipe, coolant level normal, nil obvious under bonnet whilst idling and I can't seem to either increase or decrease the fumes using the cabin heater and fan.
The vehicle is booked in at Breeze Vans (Poole) on 22 October to have this checked, plus first service (they were exceptionally helpful during the ordering process).
Naturally, I am very concerned at this so any suggestions and member's previous experience will be gratefully received.

Sounds like an exhaust leak, anywhere from the manifold backwards.
I would call out VW Assistance, as you will get priority assessment and repair. Call during a weekday when the vehicle is full of fumes. I wouldnt wait for the 22nd.

Hi we have had quite a lot of egr pipes splitting between the back of the cooler and the manifold on these engines it’s a short 90degree pipe.

I've fitted a CO monitor inside my Ocean. This is not because of experiencing any fumes, just precautionary.

I hope that you get to the bottom of this issue very quickly.

As VW Guru has said, do not wait. Get it checked and addressed urgently.

Was it cold ? Are you aware there's a coolant heather witch can smell when having a cold engine start ?
Is your aux.heater switched off and not running on a program ?

Ps , do update your verhicle details under your avatar

Thank you all, much appreciated and looking forward to more advice.
Can confirm aux heater off and not running on a program and with our good weather there have been no truly cold starts.

Hi we have had quite a lot of egr pipes splitting between the back of the cooler and the manifold on these engines it’s a short 90degree pipe.

Had similar with our BMW, fumes come in through the air vents.

VW Guru is in the know. So his advice is going to be good. Has anyone connected a diagnostic tool to your van to see if this highlights any issues? Whilst it may not pinpoint the exact cause, there may be a clue or two in any error messages being reported.

Thank you. Avatar details updated. No diagnostics yet. As I'm not using the Ocean as a daily driver and 22 Oct is the earliest date Breeze Vans can book it in, it looks like I will have to go with that option. Breeze have been exceptionally helpful up to now and I have met the senior engineer and my impression was of considerable expertise. I wouldn't want to commit my previous experiences with Exeter and Bristol to print.
Your collective advice is much appreciated because I will be much better informed when I give the van to them to sort out.

Thank you. Avatar details updated. No diagnostics yet. As I'm not using the Ocean as a daily driver and 22 Oct is the earliest date Breeze Vans can book it in, it looks like I will have to go with that option. Breeze have been exceptionally helpful up to now and I have met the senior engineer and my impression was of considerable expertise. I wouldn't want to commit my previous experiences with Exeter and Bristol to print.
Your collective advice is much appreciated because I will be much better informed when I give the van to them to sort out.

Hi @Deep Blue can I ask what breeze van centre you are going to ?

Thank you. I have met him before (sadly can't remember his name) and was very impressed with his professionalism. It was over a warranty issue and whilst I went walkabout in Bournemouth, I received a video from him to my phone demonstrating how the issue was fixed. I thought it was exceptional customer service.

I had the same issue a few years ago. The fault was traced to a split manifold. Problem was solved once the part was replaced.

Had exactly the same problem on our van last year, turned out to be a blown gasket at the rea of the engine between the manifold and the downpipe.
There is also a coolant heater there , so it’s not that’s the cause for certain!
We first noticed the problem on the initial start up , then smoke coming from the engine compartment as we stopped, and a noticeable smell of exhaust fumes in as we drove! Good luck , but get it attended to ASAP

Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone for your advice - it has been much appreciated.
Here is the feedback following my visit to Breeze Vans at Poole.
'vehicle inspected for exhaust gas leak and unable to find any leak at the manifold or the exhaust gas system pre particulate filter guided fault finding carried out and found fault for no flame build up. Test plan run and found when starting up the auxiliary coolant heater the combustion was incorrect due to the heater not being used during summer months. The auxiliary coolant heater will only work at temperatures less than 5 degrees and is automatically controlled by the vehicle as to when it will cut in and out. the unit is made by Eberspacher. Test run of unit carried out and unit fires up with a lot of smoke due to incorrect flame generation. Burn off test plan carried out and heater now fires up and cuts out as it should'
Also, Breeze finally carried out a pressure test on the exhaust system and found that the Lambda (?) sensor on the diesel particular filter was leaking and therefore replaced the whole unit.
On my drive back to Cornwall, there were no more fumes in the cabin and the Cali drove as well as it always does.
A few comments about Breeze Vans in Poole:
The service I received from Paul Cowshall, Service Manager, was really first class.
Martin Page is their Master Technician and his detailed assessment / fault finding and problem solving was literally exemplary. He has resolved a couple of warranty issues before and I can simply say that he is worth his weight in Gold to Breeze and their customers.
Finally, I would mention that this mirrors my experience with Breeze throughout the ordering process for my Ocean. They showed great attention to detail and a willingness to get every detail right for the customer.

So, basically the exhaust leak was caused by the ? Lambda sensor on the DPF and the whole DPF was changed.
The problem with the Auxiliary Coolant Heater was one you weren't aware of because it wouldn't have fired up in the Summer months as the ambient temperature was above 5c.

Just had van in for oil change 56000. Asked them to check smell of fumes in cabin, noticed it for a few thousand miles but wasn't sure if it was just the regeneration blowing back in. CO detector in cab didn't pick up anything. Sure enough it was a cracked EGR pipe and garage said they'd had a few on the Transporters. So don't put up with it if you suspect this, all fine now ! I'll post this separately as well.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Thank you for your thought.

Exhaust fumes are definitely back in the cabin and I am as certain as I can possibly be that they are no other type of fume that I am misidentifying. VW in Cornwall found 'DPF clamp covered in soot and replaced it with new' 3 weeks ago. They were very helpful but there are fumes still.

At times almost impossible to detect but 10 days ago was the worst ever and after 50miles I had a severe cough, lost my voice, had foul taste in mouth and couldn't wait to get out of the vehicle. My next door neighbour watched me get out of the vehicle and thought I'd been taken acutely ill.

The bizarre thing is this seems to be in some way intermittent. Also, in the first year of driving there were no problems whatsoever and I greatly enjoy the Ocean otherwise. We had 2 holidays with long distance driving and no fumes.

Ref the EGR pipe, I am aware of this and have seen a picture on the web with a very obvious split. Can they develop a small split which is difficult to detect.

Have any members had problems such as split exhaust manifold, assembly problems such as missing gaskets, failure to torque bolts etc etc?

Van is now back at the original dealership (Breeze at Poole) who truly couldn't be more helpful but still can't find the source as of 5pm today. Their master technician is really first class and he is certainly trying his best.

Naturally, I am seriously concerned as to what happens next if the dealership draw a blank and the fumes continue.

Have any members had problems such as split exhaust manifold, assembly problems such as missing gaskets, failure to torque bolts etc etc?
I'm on my third manifold, it was a common problem on the T5´s.

Thanks. This is the T6 biturbo and I'm convinced there is a fundamental problem here somewhere.

No exhaust fume smells inside here with my T5.1 140.
Only a bad smell when the aux heater turns on.

Thanks. This is the T6 biturbo and I'm convinced there is a fundamental problem here somewhere.
I’m just back from 3000 miles of fumes (Portugal and back). Windows open in rain, cold and 38* and unable to hear radio just some of the discomfort apart from the fumes. I did buy a carbon monoxide detector €47 on the way down but it didn’t pick up a reading.
This is also after paying £1200 at Heritage Bristol to sort this following a new turbo which was fitted by a VW main dealer in Spain last year.
Heritage found a crushed gasket that had been poorly fitted in Spain but also replaced the manifold.
Anyway, it’s still happening and I’m frustrated and annoyed. VW accept their workmanship may be at fault but say the vehicle must be repaired by the garage that carried out the work (Spain).
They wouldn’t supply a replacement vehicle whilst this was happening and were not prepared to take my Cali on a vehicle to Spain.
Basically they were happy to poison me but at no cost or hassle to themselves.
I can’t get to the MD and I’m left disappointed but with a California with fumes.
Your experience will help me I’m sure.
I’ll contact Heritage tomorrow because it needs narrowing down and fixing.
I’ll post the results here. They might help you too.

You have my real sympathy because this is a problem of the first magnitude. I'm still trying to resolve my own situation so it might not be appropriate for me to say any more on a public forum.
I don't have any particular technical insight to offer but do wonder if your fume problem is constant or intermittent?
Regards.

Back