Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Exhaust fumes in cabin - Carbon Monoxide

Have the corrugated EGR hoses (Front and back) been replaced? They are known to crack with age.
Here are a few examples;
20180731_143002.jpg20190615_172105.jpgScreenshot_20180728-133741_Gallery.jpg

The new design ones are also welded.
D5BDE4B6-7FA8-4F18-AB05-3FC85DAE1553.jpg

You have my real sympathy because this is a problem of the first magnitude. I'm still trying to resolve my own situation so it might not be appropriate for me to say any more on a public forum.
I don't have any particular technical insight to offer but do wonder if your fume problem is constant or intermittent?
Regards.
I'd say my fumes are ever present and certainly give the same symptoms as you are experiencing. My worry has been hightened as a result of the findings on the footballer plane crash where they found unusually high levels of carbon monoxide in his blood. I was advised by the main dealer that it would be safe to travel to France for a week's break in May. On reflection this was extremely bad advice. The fumes were dreadful.
I'll keep you posted.

Can't they just swap out the whole exhaust system from the engine back? Including the manifolds and gaskets or is that too expensive for them to risk carrying on poisoning people? Safety first eh vw.

You have my real sympathy because this is a problem of the first magnitude. I'm still trying to resolve my own situation so it might not be appropriate for me to say any more on a public forum.
I don't have any particular technical insight to offer but do wonder if your fume problem is constant or intermittent?
Regards.
Deep Blue
I run a T6 204 2017
Back in July I started to feel very unwell.
I had several appointments with medical experts
I drove for 8 hrs straight in my van. I was very sick for 2 or 3 days. I then picked up a work colleague on the way to work. He declared that he thought he could smell exhaust fumes in the cab
I immediately contacted VW. Who arranged for my local dealer to look at it. They diagnosed a faulty EGR and replaced it.
I then , in good faith, lent my van to a family freind who took her 2 children down to Devon (5hrs drive). She has rented a cottage for a family holiday in August. My friend and her children apparently had the flu whilst they were there and it did not clear up until 4 days after they returned
I just thought that she was very unlucky
Driving around locally all appeared to be good with the van
In early sept I drove to The south coast and back up north in the same day. Approx 9 hrs driving. I was violently ill to the point that, thinking back, I should have not been driving
I then started to think the worst. Surely the exhaust fumes are not still entering the van.
I spoke to VW again and explained my suspicions
They arranged for another VW van center to have a look
Today I have received the call from VW and the van center. They have found that the exhaust manifold is warped.
I feel awful. Not only have I been putting my own health at risk but I have risked the life and health of A very good family friend and her children. Even the dog has been under the vet since
I have spoken to VW and do not want to say much more
I was just wondering if this was a similar story to yourself
I have a feeling that VW are well aware that they have s problem
I am not sure what my next steps will be

Hi Bargeman. Yours is a truly shocking situation with which I can wholly identify. The club website and these forums are a wonderful source of information and indeed kindness but there are perhaps very rarely highly sensitive matters that can't be shared on the web. I say this with respect to other members and contributors. However, I would prepared to discuss privately if you can suggest a channel of communication.

Deep Blue
I run a T6 204 2017
Back in July I started to feel very unwell.
I had several appointments with medical experts
I drove for 8 hrs straight in my van. I was very sick for 2 or 3 days. I then picked up a work colleague on the way to work. He declared that he thought he could smell exhaust fumes in the cab
I immediately contacted VW. Who arranged for my local dealer to look at it. They diagnosed a faulty EGR and replaced it.
I then , in good faith, lent my van to a family freind who took her 2 children down to Devon (5hrs drive). She has rented a cottage for a family holiday in August. My friend and her children apparently had the flu whilst they were there and it did not clear up until 4 days after they returned
Driving around locally all appeared to be good with the van
In early sept I drove to The south coast and back up north in the same day. Approx 9 hrs driving. I was violently ill to the point that, thinking back, I should have not been driving
I then started to think the worst. Surely the exhaust fumes are not still entering the van.
I spoke to VW again and explained my suspicions
They arranged for another VW van center to have a look
Today I have received the call from VW and the van center. They have found that the exhaust manifold is warped.
I feel awful. Not only have I been putting my own health at risk but I have risked the life and health of A very good family friend and her children. Even the dog has been under the vet since
I am not sure what my next steps will be

Deep blue
It would be good to share a few notes
Hi Bargeman. Yours is a truly shocking situation with which I can wholly identify. The club website and these forums are a wonderful source of information and indeed kindness but there are perhaps very rarely highly sensitive matters that can't be shared on the web. I say this with respect to other members and contributors. However, I would prepared to discuss privately if you can suggest a channel of communication.
Deep Blue
It would be useful to discuss
I am only a basic member so I cannot direct message you
Can you direct message me with your email
Thanks
Bargeman

If you don't mind passing me your email address, I'll then give you my mobile number and am then happy to discuss further.

I'm not sure that the system will accept that. If you don't mind risking passing me a phone number I'll definitely call you in the morning.

If you want me to remove the addresses once you have them, I will do so. Open yourself upto spammers.

I then , in good faith, lent my van to a family friend who took her 2 children down to Devon (5hrs drive). She has rented a cottage for a family holiday in August. My friend and her children apparently had the flu whilst they were there and it did not clear up until 4 days after they returned

We had a similar situation on our old 34 year old T25, the manifold leaked into the cab, our alarm after just 20 minutes. I wouldn't blame yourself, you weren't to know, glad everyone is ok. Makes me even more certain that a CO alarm is crucial even if you don't have gas burning inside.

That is truly shocking, I am so glad everyone is ok. CO poisoning can effect folks for quite a long time and is very hard for the body to get rid of. If VW are aware then it would be very foolish of them not to act, it can be fatal.

Back