Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Carbon monoxide monitor

bangorlad

bangorlad

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Presume I'm not the only one who thinks one of these is a good idea in the van but can't find much here from a search...My question is where do folk fix them, and how? I don't want to drill holes so for now it's sitting above the wardrobe door over the fridge held on by velcro patches which I suspect won't hold for long as the surface is mottled and rough. Bit of lateral thinking probably required...

Mine is fixed on wardrobe with 3m heavy duty 2 sided tape

Are you sure you searched?
IMG_0922.PNG

Presume I'm not the only one who thinks one of these is a good idea in the van but can't find much here from a search...My question is where do folk fix them, and how? I don't want to drill holes so for now it's sitting above the wardrobe door over the fridge held on by velcro patches which I suspect won't hold for long as the surface is mottled and rough. Bit of lateral thinking probably required...
Mines fixed in the same place with Velcro. So far so good. Not really anywhere else to stick it,

Mike

I sleep downstairs and put mine on top of the fridge lid.

Ours sits on the shelf above the sink and fridge. When the roof bed is down there is just enough pressure to hold it firmly in place.

In the unusable C pillar cup holder, under bench seat.

I was told by a mate who's a gas safe engineer that a carbon detector won't work on detecting leaking gas from hob.
I guess if the desiel heater goes faulty though, I do have one on passenger seat brandrup pockets plus a smoke detector too!

I was told by a mate who's a gas safe engineer that a carbon detector won't work on detecting leaking gas from hob.
I guess if the desiel heater goes faulty though, I do have one on passenger seat brandrup pockets plus a smoke detector too!
Correct but it will detect Carbon Monoxide from a gas burner that is not operating efficiently.
The Diesel Heater does NOT exhaust into the vehicle, but even so Diesel produces very little CO especially with the amount of Diesel burnt by the heater.
The monitor is more important with regards to the gas burners than the Parking Heater.

Just ventilate and you'l be fine , roof up and window open ....i don't worry to much.
Sleeping in a fully closed Cali with roof down is a other thing .

Toyed with the idea of a pet canary, ... wouldn't get too emotionally attached to it of course, just in case ...

We don't fix ours it moves around usually sits in a pocket in the beach or on top of the frdige. This means we can protect it whilst we are travelling, some monitors can be damaged with knocks or bangs, worth checking you have one suitable for travelling. Generally you want it at breathing height which is why we don't fix ours.

Which one do you all use? I need to buy one!!

Which one do you all use? I need to buy one!!

Fire angel.

Amazon, delivered tomorrow, Circa £21.

Like Matt I don't fix mine. It sits in the overhead cupboard until parked up then put into the most convenient position approximately same height off the ground as my nose, which unlike my detector does have a fixed position, relative to my face!

I use a few different ones to be honest but took this one in the van with us recently, It has a screen so you can see the amount of CO too. Seeing that zero gives a sense of confidence for some reason. ;) It also lasts ten years where as most last about 6 or 7.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ABGEL62/?tag=eliteelect-21

Fire angel.

Amazon, delivered tomorrow, Circa £21.

Like Matt I don't fix mine. It sits in the overhead cupboard until parked up then put into the most convenient position approximately same height off the ground as my nose, which unlike my detector does have a fixed position, relative to my face!
Thanks and funny!

I wish haha !!

We do have three vans between us haha but we use them at home in various rooms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish haha !!

You use your three vans in various rooms? :shocked

Goodness, a kitchen van, a lounge van and in the bedroom a di-van:shocked

I wish haha !!

What!! You use the vans in the rooms????? You really do like your vans don't you.;)

A message for owners of the detector ...... sometime and 'played the' alarm? ..... or because they were Mexicans beans? I also had a detector at home and always sounded ....... hahaha

I was just researching placement. Carbon monoxide is very slightly lighter than air so will rise but it's generally recommended to place 2 ft below ceiling level as a layer of warm air can form a buffer. I suspect the small air volume in a Cali will inhibit such a cushion - so generally highish seems good. So spot on with nose level Jen.

More problematic is the recommendation that it is placed a minimum of 15 ft from any fossil fuel burning appliance. That's a bit trickier in a Cali ...............

Back