Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Carpets/Mats in new Cali

Tony Beretta

Tony Beretta

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Hi all,
Next month I will be receiving my new California Coast. I was just wondering if I should expect my cali to come with carpets in it? Or should I prepare some money...

Thanks

Hi all,
Next month I will be receiving my new California Coast. I was just wondering if I should expect my cali to come with carpets in it? Or should I prepare some money...

Thanks
No carpets in habitation area or boot. Most people get carpet sets for front, middle and boot.

It's not bad news.

It's great news.

It means that you can spend the rest of your days looking online, drooling, choosing, fitting, admiring new carpets, then.... when they get dirty or you get bored, repeat the process!

I'm on my 4th with 5th to come.

I get your point GrannyJen, I just entered the world of cali-carpet-shopping and I am amazed! This is so much fun! I told all my friends about it already, even the ones that dont have a cali are buying cali-carpets like crazy.
By the way, will my new cali come without any carpets? Not even the cabin (driver) ones??

Yep you get cabin carpets.
Good option is to get monster mats to protect these up front and do your own thing in the middle and boot. Saying that I got a deal last March on brandrup throughout. One day soon I hope to fit them.

Mike

We got our dealer to throw in a pair of monster mats for driver and passenger - seems quite a common freebie.

We went for the Brandrup carpets in the habitation and boot areas - really pleased with the quality. The 3 piece boot mat is great for preventing damage to the side panels.

Only issue is that the habitation carpet is so nice and the weather at the moment is so drab that I feel compelled to cover it with a big old towel - this, I know, is ridiculous!

We got our dealer to throw in a pair of monster mats for driver and passenger - seems quite a common freebie.

We went for the Brandrup carpets in the habitation and boot areas - really pleased with the quality. The 3 piece boot mat is great for preventing damage to the side panels.

Only issue is that the habitation carpet is so nice and the weather at the moment is so drab that I feel compelled to cover it with a big old towel - this, I know, is ridiculous!

Nothing ridiculous in that ....

I am delighted that I managed to burn a hole in my habitation carpet .... (setting fire to the Cali, but that's another topic) .....

Now I've burnt a hole in it I can change it :D

It was a lovely deep blue plain velour ..... gorgeous ..... except it drove me nuts having to clean it!

Just have 2 rubber mats in the cabin, easy to take out & shake clean or spray with water & let dry. No other carpets. When on a trip, I prefer oldschool cleaning with brush & wiping with wet microfibre cloth. No vacuum cleaning on trips :thumb

I get your point GrannyJen, I just entered the world of cali-carpet-shopping and I am amazed! This is so much fun! I told all my friends about it already, even the ones that dont have a cali are buying cali-carpets like crazy.
By the way, will my new cali come without any carpets? Not even the cabin (driver) ones??

Go for a summer carpet (Soft and cosy) and a winter carpet (heavy duty rubber) … and its a good idea to have a full carpet in the front, if you plan to enter tru the seats.

Can anyone recommend a 'full' rubber mat for the front that includes the bit between the front seats? As @Kmann says, it does tend to get grubby there (I find Dyson Dysolv brings it up nicely)

On that note, is there any kind of a fitted rubber mat for the habitation area? I'd prefer a one piece solution over using separate mats as my daughter will pull them up and play or trip over the join of two mats.I did a general browse recently but wasn't successful. It would be a good winter option.

Can anyone recommend a 'full' rubber mat for the front that includes the bit between the front seats? As @Kmann says, it does tend to get grubby there (I find Dyson Dysolv brings it up nicely)

On that note, is there any kind of a fitted rubber mat for the habitation area? I'd prefer a one piece solution over using separate mats as my daughter will pull them up and play or trip over the join of two mats.I did a general browse recently but wasn't successful. It would be a good winter option.
As far as I am aware - No.

But there are these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...pets.TRS0&_nkw=VW+California+carpets&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...ia+mats.TRS0&_nkw=VW+California+mats&_sacat=0

Personally I can't see the point in spending a fortune on in extra carpets as all you will do is then worry about getting them dirty.
Monster mats in front as already mentioned (although the drivers one will probably wear through in a year where your heel is) and a cheap set for the rear to keep the vinyl clean and your feet warm. We got a complete set, front middle and boot, for around ÂŁ20 three years ago which are still OK. As soon as they are knackered another ÂŁ20 set.

We bought an offcut of cheap carpet and fitted it from the front to the back bench. ÂŁ25. Looks great and can chuck it when it gets grubby.

I must confess to hanker after the nice stripy ones I've seen on here...
:oops::rolleyes::D

I would not have them again unless they change the way they are put together as the edging causes the carpet to ripple a bit and is too short on door side strip.
View attachment 18132
Might have to dump them for plain old brandrup :(
Perhaps I'll stick with the turtle mats then.
They are quite pretty!

As an update to my last, They are being redesigned and I have offered to take my Cali in so a more accurate fit can be achieved as I like the look of them, so there is hope yet.

nice to see the manufacturer taking steps to put things right. lets hope your update is more positive.

Perhaps I'll stick with the turtle mats then.
They are quite pretty!
As an update to my last, They are being redesigned and I have offered to take my Cali in so a more accurate fit can be achieved as I like the look of them, so there is hope yet.
Did you ever get these sorted and was it to your satisfaction ?

Most seem to like the front Monster mats but personally think that the standard VW mats are more in keeping with the Cali (similar to VW car pattern).
I bought a section of rubber mat from a car trim supplier and cut to fit the centre section, not ideal as you say as the front mat edges sit on it giving a potential trip point for little feet. No problem for my 45's.

Lots of carpet ones on EBAY . Through rubber ones - .https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Transporter-T5-T6-walk-through-black-rubber-tailored-mats/262762856545?hash=item3d2de30061:g:NbQAAOSw2xRYUaZa

Type I have - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...884510&hash=item1ec19d02b9:g:AkcAAOSwtfhYpGyA

Last edited:
Anyone fit these and if so what is the fit like and do they look any good ? Would there be any difference to something in the front that was designed for a transporter as opposed to a California and can fit a 5.1 to a 6 (positioning of fastenings etc.) ? I like the fact that they are in grey as I find the contrast between black sitting on grey rather harsh / odd looking. Thanks Scoobz

Last edited:
Anyone fit these and if so what is the fit like and do they look any good ? Would there be any difference to something in the front that was designed for a transporter as opposed to a California and can fit a 5.1 to a 6 (positioning of fastenings etc.) ? I like the fact that they are in grey as I find the contrast between black sitting on grey rather harsh / odd looking. Thanks Scoobz
Have that type in the car, 3mm is quite thin and also rather 'plasticy'. 5mm better if can be found.
It's OK but but really up to rest of Cali standard. I'd say if only expecting to replace periodically in line with use.