Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How are your Monster Mats?

J

jamessclarke

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Monster mats thrown away after about 20000 miles as worn through by my heel. Now have a cheap set of carpet mats which look much better

Blubus

Blubus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Ribs have broken off after 10,000 miles, also left a black rubber mark on the carpet to the left of the clutch peddle. Will not be buying again.

51D89259-FA1D-49CD-883E-A271451BA7D0.jpeg

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Ribs have broken off after 10,000 miles, also left a black rubber mark on the carpet to the left of the clutch peddle. Will not be buying again.

View attachment 30871
Thanks. That is exactly the same as on mine. Until I can get new ones I have placed a plastic bag underneath.
I see that like me, you also have a manual gearbox Cali. Perhaps this issue only effects manuals. I am now wondering what to get to replace the now discontinued monster mats.

Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
hanks. That is exactly the same as on mine. Until I can get new ones I have placed a plastic bag underneath.
I see that like me, you also have a manual gearbox Cali. Perhaps this issue only effects manuals. I am now wondering what to get to replace the now discontinued monster mats.

Our short life Monster mats were used in DSG

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Spot on Borris
Me being a tight a#*s I think I’ll hang onto them until next winter :)
I'm thinking of sticking a giant reinforced rubber patch on the underside. That should please us tight wad types. My other reason for doing this is that firstly there's nothing wrong with the other 99% of the mat and secondly I doubt if any new replacements will be any better.

Jonathan Duke

Jonathan Duke

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Approaching 50,000 KMs - Monster Mats installed from new (since January 2017) and still look to be in perfect condition.

150PS Manual Beach.

2020 freedom

2020 freedom

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Much of it is going to depend on the compound of the soles of your footwear. The softer material will be sacrificially worn out.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Update: I'm now on my third set of Monsters in two and a half years. The latest set split on the passenger side where they don't get any wear. The upstand flap that protects the carpet on the wheel arch had split off. Once again replaced free of charge without quibble by SMG Tonbridge.

The name implies a set of rugged mats that will withstand all sorts. The reality is that they are the worst rubber car mats I've ever had. Still as long as they keep getting replaced for free I'll persevere.

Last edited:
Jonathan Duke

Jonathan Duke

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Strange..... I gave my Cali a bit of a clean-out, after a drunken, muddy, music festival weekend a couple of weekends ago..... I've had my MMs in from day 1, and now have over 42,000 miles on the clock.... And after a power-hose / clean, the MMs still look like new.

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Strange..... I gave my Cali a bit of a clean-out, after a drunken, muddy, music festival weekend a couple of weekends ago..... I've had my MMs in from day 1, and now have over 42,000 miles on the clock.... And after a power-hose / clean, the MMs still look like new.
We are still on our first set, but like Boris, the upstand on the passenger side has split off. Must be the stilettos Mrs Amarillo wears for travelling to campsites.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Yes it is strange, especially as the passenger seat is often empty. When it is it's usually occupied by my wife who is quite small but beautifully marked!

rippers

rippers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Our VW monster mats where useless, lasted a few months the ribs worn/broke down and as the ribs where hollow the water got through to the floor, they also ripped between the foot rest. The rubber was made of far too soft compound on ours. Fixed them a few times with black silicon /tiger seal from underneath and eventually replaced them with the VW Rubber flat mats and they are still perfect and been taken with us onto our forth California now!

SimonB

SimonB

Staff member
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Like @MattBW I also wonder about the quality control. It doesn't seem that they all fail, just a number of them. Unfortunately we don't have any idea of what percentage fail.
I wonder if storage could be an issue too. Are they stored in unsuitable conditions before being sold, possibly. We have had ours since October 2015 and they still seem to be fine.

Trebor

Trebor

No looking back .
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I purchased a set of monster mats when we bought our Cali. I liked the look of them because they looked well made and able to prevent any mud, water and grit getting to the carpets. Unfortunately, I have only driven 16000 miles and they have recently started to allow water through to the carpet beneath. One of the ribs has split where my left heel makes contact with the floor. Apart from this issue the mats are like new. Very disappointing.
I recently tried to order a new set but was told that they are no longer available. What are they supplying instead? Have you had trouble with your monsters?
Hi Borris mine are falling apart too after 20 k miles . Not very monster .

Trebor

Trebor

No looking back .
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Thanks. That is exactly the same as on mine. Until I can get new ones I have placed a plastic bag underneath.
Mine dsg and just the same Borris . Think I’ll get some from LidlyAldi they’ll be better quality !

Doorbundle

Doorbundle

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Monster Mats (Hollow Ribs) drivers side footrest flap almost split off after under 4000 miles in under a years ownership and light use. Repaired (for now) using Weldtite Rubber solution and strips of rubber puncture patch. If this is successful I will reinforce underneath the join with Gorilla tape when set. Overall I am disappointed with the lack of longevity of this product that came with the Cali. Will replace them with ordinary mats which may be more flexible / durable.