Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CarPlay for ‘06 Cali from Germany

NRDSRFR

NRDSRFR

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi
Just bought a German import 2006 Cali SE. I believe the previous owner had an RNS510 fitted but returned to the stock unit.

I’d like a unit which is
- ideally OEM
- CarPlay compatible for Spotify and Google Maps
- supports a reversing camera
- supports the parking sensors

- navigation as a backup nice to have

I’ve read the RCD330 is a budget option but not sure if compatible. I’ll post a pic of my existing unit when I get home if that helps

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an Alpine ILX-700 with which I replaced an RNS 510 and find really good (after almost 2 years).

Pro's
  • CAN-bus compatible (parking sensors etc display on-screen)
  • Great sound
  • Inexpensive
  • Standard parking camera input
  • Steering wheel controls (another CAN-bus option)
  • Easy to fit (mechless, SO much space saving!)
  • Siri works so well; "hey Siri, drive home" is always on the button
Con's
  • Display is a little too horizontal and suffers a little from glare in very bright sunlight (there are some remedies for this, but I've lived with it). T5 issue with the positioning of their head unit aperture.
  • Using the standard parking camera would lose on-screen sensor display (so I didn't get one)
  • Ensure the correct add-ins are bought (mounting kit, wiring harness, CAN-bus connectors etc)
  • CarPlay Only (no android auto)
  • If not using CarPlay, there's nothing other than a basic FM Radio.
  • No bluetooth (why you would need this I don't know)
There are some newer Alpine offerings which do sort some of these issues (runs the Alpine rear cam, with the sensor display over the camera etc) and with an adjustable angle so that the glare is reduced. Kenwood too have some lovely (more expensive) versions.

A little search on ebay is here - still some ILX-700's and there is a wireless CarPlay 701 version too (but I always plug my phone in to charge it anyway, soo.....?)

Should cost very little for your retailer to fit, but very cheap if you can do it yourself.

You won't get Google maps on CarPlay until iOS12 is released in the Autumn (but at least it's coming). It's Apple Maps only until then.

It's been debated to death on here, but for me the CarPlay replacement has been a total win. It works so well and looks lovely, I could never go back to the '510 now.

I mainly use Apple Maps (it's come a long way) Amazon Music and Tune-In radio/podcasts. What I want, when I want it. Love it!

Personally I don't rate DAB (at the price) and think data streaming is the way to go anyway, so don't really need that either. It's what works for you tho :)

Think the imported RCD 330 should work, it would be something I'd look at as it's so cheap. Maybe issues with support/replacement if things go wrong.

Back