Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CarPlay update....at last!!

Moakesy

Moakesy

Moakesy
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Apple are doing one of their updates today....announcing what features are coming up soon, including iOS12.

At long last, they are opening up CarPlay to third party apps, which means you will be able to use Google Maps and Waze for navigation when using CarPlay in your Cali!

Good news....and not before time!

Apple are doing one of their updates today....announcing what features are coming up soon, including iOS12.

At long last, they are opening up CarPlay to third party apps, which means you will be able to use Google Maps and Waze for navigation when using CarPlay in your Cali!

Good news....and not before time!
We live in Hertfordshire and are desperate to get some information on how to get the best from our media system which the dealer was unable to furnish us with , any chance of the meet up and a cup of coffee anytime, because you sound like you know a lot more than anyone at VW that we've met so far?

We live in Hertfordshire and are desperate to get some information on how to get the best from our media system which the dealer was unable to furnish us with , any chance of the meet up and a cup of coffee anytime, because you sound like you know a lot more than anyone at VW that we've met so far?

Of course, although I’m in Hitchin so not far from you. Quite willing to meet up and chat things through.

Waze was the thing that was the barrier to me me upgrading my stereo to a carplay one... I just dont like apple maps for navigating. I wonder if ios12 will work on my iphone 6 though its almost 3 years old which in Apple terms is obsolete.

Just checked and its compatible which is good news, as long as the battery life doesnt get even worse :)

Waze was the thing that was the barrier to me me upgrading my stereo to a carplay one... I just dont like apple maps for navigating. I wonder if ios12 will work on my iphone 6 though its almost 3 years old which in Apple terms is obsolete.

Just checked and its compatible which is good news, as long as the battery life doesnt get even worse :)
And your apps will supposedly launch quicker too, meaning extending it's life a bit longer...if the battery is up to it of course!:)

Mine is new and still terrible haha :)

I also like their time limiting feature for apps :)

Mine is new and still terrible haha :)

I also like their time limiting feature for apps :)

Although there is a lot of whining about the announcements yesterday, I think they've done pretty good and it feels like they are getting back on track after a couple of years being lost. They are not where they were yet, but feels like this is where they regain some direction.

Opening up CarPlay is a major change and should mean we have some more options when setting off of long journeys.

Yes its quite momumental that Apple are opening upto third parties because generally they are quite protectionist. It may be a sign of winding down apple maps perhaps? It does seem like theyre listening to their customers.

I didn’t used to like Apple Maps but gave it another go last October in France on my X, was pleasantly surprised & I’ve since deleted Google Maps for day-to-day use. Still prefer VW satnav though ...

Also just had first proper go with CarPlay in a hired Focus last week in Portugal - it’s convinced me to do the upgrade in my T6, mostly for the ease of music use.

I didn’t used to like Apple Maps but gave it another go last October in France on my X, was pleasantly surprised & I’ve since deleted Google Maps for day-to-day use. Still prefer VW satnav though ...

Also just had first proper go with CarPlay in a hired Focus last week in Portugal - it’s convinced me to do the upgrade in my T6, mostly for the ease of music use.

What freaked me out the first time was when I plugged it in and it asked me if I was going to such and such a place (I was, but how did it know?). It took me a while to realise I’d put the address in my calendar app and it got the postcode from there. That was cool, and saved me keying anything in.

My default map is still google maps though, which is why I’m pleased by this change from Apple. That, and it also will hopefully open up other apps to car play.

Wish the manufacturers had adopted wireless CarPlay more. Plugging in cables / forgetting to unplug when you get there is such a pain.

I was very fond of Navigon - used it for more than 6 years. Better than TomTom, Sygic, Waze. Not supporting external Navigation apps on Car-Play was a big disappointment. Even bigger was the disappointment that Garmin (owner of Navigon) choose to abandon navigation app altogether and removed it from the app-store.

iOS12 opens up to more apps than before but the app itself has to be updated before it actually supports maps being showed on the display. For Navigon it is all a little too late but I certainly hope the other companies will hurry to make their navigation iOS12-Car-Play-compatible.

It’s such good news. I’m planning to get the public beta release to play around with.

I used to loathe Apple maps, but to be fair it’s improved a heck of a lot. It’s certainly a whole lot better than factory nav

Waze was my go-to nav prior to it being acquired by google and then I got CarPlay. Google maps itself has the very useful caching option (invaluable when in Europe or just in areas of poor signal) so I’ll be rubbing my hands together when I see the iOS 12 update appear !

It’s just great to be able to choose again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As said: public beta (I have a dev account so running 12 already) does not help you out until the nav apps are updated and that will be not before iOS12 goes public.

Just in case it helps (and sorry if this has been covered elsewhere) App Connect/ CarPlay is now available as a dealer upgrade on the T6 with Discover Media. It is a dealer coding plus activation code - shipped in a DVD case thingy (and on ours a new USB socket in place of the existing one). This was a first for our dealer a couple of months ago.

Loving it - as we are heavy Spotify users - iOS 12 will be a great upgrade on top of this. Nice being able to call up destinations with Siri too - not that my French pronunciation will ever be good enough for Siri to understand me when in the Continent.

What freaked me out the first time was when I plugged it in and it asked me if I was going to such and such a place (I was, but how did it know?). It took me a while to realise I’d put the address in my calendar app and it got the postcode from there. That was cool, and saved me keying anything in.

My default map is still google maps though, which is why I’m pleased by this change from Apple. That, and it also will hopefully open up other apps to car play.

Wish the manufacturers had adopted wireless CarPlay more. Plugging in cables / forgetting to unplug when you get there is such a pain.

Me I always find it funny when after work it automatically guides me straight back home. Like mama's would use to do :Grin
I used to curse these cables every day as well, till I made me my DIY plug-in.:embarrased
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/self-made-phone-dock-in-cubby.23418/

Just in case it helps (and sorry if this has been covered elsewhere) App Connect/ CarPlay is now available as a dealer upgrade on the T6 with Discover Media. It is a dealer coding plus activation code - shipped in a DVD case thingy (and on ours a new USB socket in place of the existing one). This was a first for our dealer a couple of months ago.

Loving it - as we are heavy Spotify users - iOS 12 will be a great upgrade on top of this. Nice being able to call up destinations with Siri too - not that my French pronunciation will ever be good enough for Siri to understand me when in the Continent.

Hi sounds good.
How much was the upgrade ?

Kev

There was some goodwill involved from my dealership for a number of reasons so don't have the price I am afraid. I think it is a couple of hundred quid - about the same as the original option.

Was the USB socket they change for upgrade, standard on your Cali .Or added option ?
Many thanks
Calimera

The USB sockets needed for CarPlay(or upgrade) are different to the ones if you didn't order it when built.

Of course, although I’m in Hitchin so not far from you. Quite willing to meet up and chat things through.
@Moakesy
I got to know some of the locals who frequent The Coopers Arms (Tilehouse Street) during a 2 day stay in Hitchin recently (business not pleasure). Great guys, very friendly and plenty tales told.

Mine is the T6 with the basic not comfort dash so has a single usb on the front just next to the open glove box. They didn't think it would need replacing but there was a subtle problem - perhaps just some VINs that need the socket replaced. Looks no different from the front.

Mine is the T6 with the basic not comfort dash so has a single usb on the front just next to the open glove box. They didn't think it would need replacing but there was a subtle problem - perhaps just some VINs that need the socket replaced. Looks no different from the front.

I’ve not had mine done yet but I gathered these part no.s for a retrofit from another forum:

VW AppConnect / CarPlay retrofit:

7H0.054.830 - activation code

W5Q0 035 726E - USB Connector

W4E0 035 750F - Connector

As said: public beta (I have a dev account so running 12 already) does not help you out until the nav apps are updated and that will be not before iOS12 goes public.

Would they not release a beta update to enable testing prior to iOS 12 public release?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would they not release a beta update to enable testing prior to iOS 12 public release?

No, that is impossible due to the way the App-store works but also by design: running beta's on beta software is not very reliable and should be done by testers only. Also: iOS12 beta is not optimised for great battery life - so you will probably be better off just using the current version. If you want to beta test certain apps you must have access to the beta app via the developer.

Back