Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CarPlay wireless solution

Alan Greensall

Alan Greensall

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I just bought an adaptor CPlay2air which enable you to use CarPlay without the need of plugging in the phone. Worked simply and fast with the VW head . Ill give a long term report after a few weeks BTW works well even in IOS14 where Siri is sooooo much better and more comprehensive.
CARPLAY2air_wireless_adapter_for_factory_carplay_android_auto_audi_vw_mercedes_benz_porsche_vo...png

Nice. Not sure plugging it in bothers me enough to invest but you have to wonder why apple couldn’t achieve this in the first place.

Interesting to hear how you get on Alan? How quickly does the unit start and find the phone? I tend to automatically plug mine in (have it accessible on the dash tray top), but I can see the benefits for a quick drive to the shops etc.

BTW @mike5im5 It’s not Apple but the head unit manufacturers that need to leverage wireless CarPlay better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. Not sure plugging it in bothers me enough to invest but you have to wonder why apple couldn’t achieve this in the first place.
I'm sure this is a limitation of the VW head unit not apple as lots of other cars have that capability built in

Interesting to hear how you get on Alan? How quickly does the unit start and find the phone? I tend to automatically plug mine in (have it accessible on the dash tray top), but I can see the benefits for a quick drive to the shops etc.

BTW @mike5im5 It’s not Apple but the head unit manufacturers that need to leverage wireless CarPlay better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It boots in immediately. So happy about that

Also it means the phone doesn't have to be on display for all to see. You could leave it in your briefcase / pocket / handbag.... Leaving the van is one thing less to worry about

Does anybody know if this will allow my head unit to display CarPlay as it’s not got that feature as standard?

I’ll be interested in hearing how you get on with it.

I’ve been considering getting one for a while now, but read of a few instances where the device bricked, which put me off. Probably a case of ‘you only hear of the dud ones’ and there are many more people who are perfectly happy.

Is the range good enough to tuck the unit in the glovebox while the phone is in the central cubby?

Any idea how it deals with two phones in the van at once?

Blue tooth range is always about 10+ feet so i cant see any problem with the distance. To tuck the unit in the glove box will need a USB extension cable as the unit its self is a short attached cable I have used velcro to keep in firmly inplace on the shelf above the glovebox.

You register your main phone to connect via BTooth Id have to try what happens if you have another phone registered . The usual protocol is that the one with a connection stops the 2nd phone from connecting. Only one phone at a time is the standard BT protocol

CARPLAY2air_wireless_adapter_for_factory_carplay_android_auto_audi_vw_mercedes_benz_porsche_vo...png

I've ordered one. There are FAQs on the website that would suggest that it does have sufficient range to work with phone in glove box (based on a statement that it can pick up your house's wifi) and re two phones, it will pair with the most recently paired one. Anyway I'll give a review too once it arrives.

From what I understand on the website, it pairs with bluetooth to start with to send info across, but then works over wifi.

Just wondering if it has any battery drain when the van is switched off? I’m guessing not, but if it did, you might end up having to plug this in every trip, instead of your phone!

Just wondering if it has any battery drain when the van is switched off? I’m guessing not, but if it did, you might end up having to plug this in every trip, instead of your phone!

i wouldn't think so as I think the USB socket switches off after 30 minutes from when van off... .like the radio etc..

There won't be any battery drain issues, for two reasons
1 The unit only needs 0.15w
2 The USB socket that has CarPlay assigned is not permanently powered

as someone else said, you can now use a wireless charging pad :)

Any Bluetooth buzz?

I’m using one of these and it is much more convenient than plugging and unplugging the phone all the time. There is a slight lag from pressing the screen to a response, but only slight and easy to get used to. Buttons on steering wheel work as well as the touch screen. I am a fan.

Used mine today and your comments are accurate. I'm happy that it all works ok

I think you get wireless CarPlay in the T6.1
it was advertised With wireless charging but that option seems to have disappeared..

Apple? Are the also manufacturing the VW headunit? I have wireless Carplay in my BMW.

Does anybody know if this will allow my head unit to display CarPlay as it’s not got that feature as standard?

I'm in the process of getting CarPlay retrofitted, I now just need a firmware update - delayed as non-essential during COVID-19.

They can add the required software to the VW head unit & swap the USB port (if necessary) for about £250

I'm in the process of getting CarPlay retrofitted, I now just need a firmware update - delayed as non-essential during COVID-19.

They can add the required software to the VW head unit & swap the USB port (if necessary) for about £250

I recently had this done as well. Was with Cordwallis VW near Heathrow, booked in within a week. Took about an hour (I wasn't allowed to wait so had to go for a long walk).

I recently had this done as well. Was with Cordwallis VW near Heathrow, booked in within a week. Took about an hour (I wasn't allowed to wait so had to go for a long walk).
Thats great to hear. I didn't realise that was possible. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay @mike5im5 ?
@hirsty Are you getting yours done at a VW centre?
I'll phone VW Liverpool as they are my nearest.

Back