Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Carplay

N

nutty123

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have ordered a new t6 Ocean Cali, am I right to believe that Carplay has to be ordered on the order list or can you get Carplay after picking up the vehicle?? I am a bit confused :headbang. Can anybody HELP me !!! Carl

You need to order app-connect. This also needs at least the 6.33 composition media upgrade too. My dealer also added a USB in the glove box too, I think to be honest that was a standard figment.

I've read somewhere about enabling app connect after (sorry can't remember where), but I would imagine you need the 6.33 stereo for it to be possible

I've read somewhere about enabling app connect after (sorry can't remember where), but I would imagine you need the 6.33 stereo for it to be possible
Would love to know where as I asked my dealer to unlock app connect on my Nav and he said it's not possible at this time?!

Thanks to both of you for the info, so I'm presuming if you down load the app off on to the phone then plugging into the USB it then will show on the upgraded screen, which we have ordered, which will also allow us to use the phone Sat Nav.

Would love to know where as I asked my dealer to unlock app connect on my Nav and he said it's not possible at this time?!

I think it was maybe vwt4forum. Either that or I dreamt it! I'll look again and reply if I can see anything.

Great edition and opens up lots of opportunity including voice controlled messaging, spotify, soundcloud, sat nav etc etc - read the options list and as suggested order app-connect and 6.33 composition media upgrade

Thanks to both of you for the info, so I'm presuming if you down load the app off on to the phone then plugging into the USB it then will show on the upgraded screen, which we have ordered, which will also allow us to use the phone Sat Nav.
Have you ordered AppConnect? That is necessary as well as the 6.33 screen and the second USB port. The dealer configuration will only allow AppConnect if the screen upgrade and scone USB port are ordered.

No need to download an App - just enable CarPlay on your iPhone and plug it in (on an iPhone 6 anyway).

After reading pages of forum posts about trying to Retrofit CarPlay to the MK7 Golf I would highly recommend anyone who thinks it even has the slightest chance of CarPlay being useful to order it from new.

If so you have to add 'AppConnect' to your order.

For iOS users the Siri integration is also a killer feature with this setup. I've ordered AppConnect on our Cali and having the ability to mirror the screen will be great for directions, etc but the long press on the voice control button on the MFSW to activate Siri gives you a ton of options whilst keeping your hands safely on the steering wheel.

I was a long time fan of Spotify and in many ways I still prefer the interface and suggested playlists but Siri integration with Apple Music works like a dream - the entire catalogue accessible by voice. I find fiddling around with a stereo distracting and dangerous, theres no need for that any more. If your iPhone is jailbroken you can get Spotify to work with Siri but I'm not willing to do that to mine yet. Any of you with AppConnect on your new Calis I'd recommend taking advantage of the 3month free trial of Apple Music to get a taste of the capabilities. From what I've seen on other threads a long press of the voice control button on the MFSW works to active siri even if you haven't paid for voice control.

Thanks Lewis very interesting. I've gone completely Apple for ease of use but also use Spotify for streaming music around our flat on our Sonos system. Will have a look at Apple music and look forward to trying it when I get the Cali.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CarPlay is just a software licence activation.

You can have it "retrofitted" provided you have the necessary head unit. I had to dig around as the dealers didn't seem to know much about it. My wife has a 2015 Polo which we activated it on.

You should be able to find app connect / mirrorlink in the settings menu (albeit disabled) which confirms you can have it activated by a licence install (about ÂŁ200 iirc)

Lewis, you can also use the "hey siri" voice command to activate siri without even pressing a button. I use it all the time in my car without siri button.

Lewis, you can also use the "hey siri" voice command to activate siri without even pressing a button. I use it all the time in my car without siri button.

This is so hit and miss for me that I've semi given up on it. Might just be it doesn't like my voice or maybe theres an issue with my phone but I just end up screaming Hey Siri and he ignores me so the button it is!

This is so hit and miss for me that I've semi given up on it. Might just be it doesn't like my voice or maybe theres an issue with my phone but I just end up screaming Hey Siri and he ignores me so the button it is!
Can't be any worse than my colleagues 08 Honda CR-V which uses voice control to set up mobile phone connectivity, pairing etc.
Imagine two Yorkshire men in the staff car park at 4 am sat in a misted up car for about 45 mins taking it in turns to shout (in varying versions and volumes of accents) pair, pair phone, transfer contacts, micks phone and so on. In the end we couldn't do it anymore for laughing. He eventually got it sorted at our local Honda dealership. What a faf, but very funny!

Last edited:

Lewis, you may already know this but there is a setting to "allow hey Siri" found in settings-general-Siri

I have an external mic fitted to my aftermarket Alpine ils-700 and it really works well. Actually too well; my four year old sitting in the back seat has a bloomin' field day with it!

Andy - as a fellow Alpine iLx-700 owner, if you're around I'd appreciate your thoughts on a problem I have - when using Maps I can't turn the volume down. It's just too loud and turning down the volume on the unit's volume control had no effect. I've gone into Map settings on my phone where I thought I'd found the answer as there are options there for volume level - sadly they have no effect!

Any ideas? I've tried googling with no success :(

It grieves me to say that I'm thinking of going back to my RCD310 as I have other issues too;

1. Internet connection is needed for more functions than I anticipated - siri won't work at all without it. Guess I should have known this, but it's a shame that it won't even work for functions that are confined to the phone, such as selecting music. This is a real problem for me as I live in an area where out and about there is frequently no internet available.

2. Siri is unreliable in recognising commands. This can be hilarious but it's mostly just frustrating.

3. When turning on the ignition occasionally the unit starts up at full volume - which is pretty loud.

More generally I have the impression that carplay is Apple's new Apple TV - it'll be great a few iterations down the line.

Anyway - if you did have any ideas on the Maps volume issue I'd sure appreciate it

(Also of course if anyone else could contribute?)

Thanks in anticipation from a frustrated Apple enthusiast!

Ian

Andy - as a fellow Alpine iLx-700 owner, if you're around I'd appreciate your thoughts on a problem I have - when using Maps I can't turn the volume down. It's just too loud and turning down the volume on the unit's volume control had no effect. I've gone into Map settings on my phone where I thought I'd found the answer as there are options there for volume level - sadly they have no effect!

It grieves me to say that I'm thinking of going back to my RCD310 as I have other issues too;

1. Internet connection is needed for more functions than I anticipated - siri won't work at all without it. Guess I should have known this, but it's a shame that it won't even work for functions that are confined to the phone, such as selecting music. This is a real problem for me as I live in an area where out and about there is frequently no internet available.

2. Siri is unreliable in recognising commands. This can be hilarious but it's mostly just frustrating.

3. When turning on the ignition occasionally the unit starts up at full volume - which is pretty loud.

More generally I have the impression that carplay is Apple's new Apple TV - it'll be great a few iterations down the line.

Anyway - if you did have any ideas on the Maps volume issue I'd sure appreciate it

Ian

Hi Ian,

Can't help you with the Alpine as I have the Pioneer CarPlay unit (in my Golf), however totally agree this is a typical Apple product 'release early, release often' they basically just use early adopters as Beta testers.

All I can recommend is that you update your iPhone software as that essentially updates CarPlay on the unit, also check if Alpine has a firmware update? If you're feeling brave you can update to IOS 10 Beta which I understand to have a lot CarPlay updates.

To respond to your points

1) If you physically have music on I think it plays out of service, also if you put in a route while you have service it should be ok for your journey (albeit no good for traffic etc.)

2) Same as the Pioneer, one min Siri understands everything perfectly, next min doesn't understand anything at all! Have no idea why.

3) Doesn't do this with the Pioneer unit, however often there will be no sound from what's playing, for example if Spotify was playing it'll play again but with no sound, i'll have to unplug the phone, play from the phone so there's sound and plug it back in.

For the price I paid i'm happy, I knew that there would be problems, but what it offers when working is great.

Hope you sort out the issues, if you do switch back to your RCD310 let me know as I might get a unit for the Cali.

Rich

Hi all
Hope you can help with this first post on the forum.

I am also looking to order a Cali (I am a first timer with regard to camper vans).

I currently use Carplay In my other car and do not want to spend 1.4k on VW satnav when Apple sat nav works top notch.

So my Question is: Do I also need to tick the option of Voice control and premium bluetooth with the Composition 6.33/app connect packs to get the full experience?

Thanks in advance All!

Last edited:

Ian
Hi Ian

I don't have any of those issues but then I'm in town and have 4G most of the time. Siri needs Internet to analyse what you're saying dynamically otherwise it would need huge amounts of storage to do this locally. It should be made clearer and it's why it gets fuddled when you have poor connectivity (or doesn't work at all!)

Re the maps volume hopefully these Screenies will help. Plug in the phone, get into CarPlay then hit the return button (next to Siri)
49ca1eb33e5c94f0a28f26a8c51084db.jpg

Tap the audio icon at the top (the one with the cog and speaker)
Scroll down to Application Volume, tap it
88e14a5e52fd1e626b945790b9bc00c3.jpg

Scroll to Apple CarPlay, tap that

ebfb500324f35abb884454bdaae2589b.jpg

Scroll to Notifications and Guidance & adjust

de620344ce385d4fa940ca3acc080bc4.jpg

Sorry for the quality of these I had to take them with my tethered phone whilst it's plugged in via the tray above!

I'd get the unit checked regarding the full volume on power on, as that seems wrong.

Hope this helps

Andy

Andy that's brilliant thank you so much for that - I've tried it and it works!

Think I'll persevere a bit longer with the unit - I do like the improvement in sound quality. I'm just wondering if I inadvertently press the volume up button re that issue. I'll keep an eye on it for now and maybe see if I can get in touch with Alpine if it persists - not over keen on dealing with the supplier of the unit which was an internet purchase.

Rich thanks for your thoughts - I've checked and there are no firmware updates. I don't fancy going for the beta of iOS 10, but I am hoping that when it it's released (in September?) it will sort some issues out and contain more improvements than have been made known so far by Apple.

Noted re your potential interest in the unit if I do decide to give up on it

You're welcome Ian glad to help. I could not conceive returning to my RNS510 now.

Just thinking about your Siri issues; where did you locate the external mic?

I was advised to locate it away from the central overhead console (though I cannot recall why?!) it's on the top of the drivers A-pillar and it works a treat, even with the window down. I rarely get issues with it and am astounded it can decipher my mumblings to be honest!

Andy

Back