Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cascaval alloy refurbishment?

Ah, hadn't twigged that.

I've a set of 'new' Davenports with tyres for sale here, but you may find some more locally.
Glossop is near enough to Canterbury for me to be very interested. What tyre size are they? I am looking for a new set of 235s. If they are 235s can I send you a PM?

Glossop is near enough to Canterbury for me to be very interested. What tyre size are they? I am looking for a new set of 235s. If they are 235s can I send you a PM?
They're not I'm afraid. They are (I think we've confirmed) the better mpg 215s Continentals. It's rare they pop up with 235s but it does happen. Most come from Sportline vans not Cali's.

I bought them to put winter tyres on (I wasn't enjoying the steels). As I already had 215 Conti's on my summer cascavels, they suited my situation.

They're not I'm afraid. They are (I think we've confirmed) the better mpg 215s Continentals. It's rare they pop up with 235s but it does happen. Most come from Sportline vans not Cali's.

I bought them to put winter tyres on (I wasn't enjoying the steels). As I already had 215 Conti's on my summer cascavels, they suited my situation.
The vans destined to be Sportlines come into the country with T32 steels on so I am informed.

If 2into1 can get them to me I could get them to Medway or even Canterbury. I need to visit my Dad at some point who lives in Medway. I was thinking of going down to the south cost to pick my steels up.

Just a thought.

The vans destined to be Sportlines come into the country with T32 steels on so I am informed.

If 2into1 can get them to me I could get them to Medway or even Canterbury. I need to visit my Dad at some point who lives in Medway. I was thinking of going down to the south cost to pick my steels up.

Just a thought.
Now that's a kind offer. I have sent 2into1 a pm so we'll see what happens.
Thanks.
Paul

We’ve had a set of Cascaval’s from another VW vehicle done and paid £100/wheel. Ours weren’t too bad but they all had a mark or worming.

We’ve just taken delivery of our Ocean and they have Cascaval’s but I do prefer Davenports for maintainance ease.

Brand new set on eBay at Chatisham
£550 or best offer

Sounds a bargain. I reckon a delivery mileage set of black Cascavels would be £650 - 700 now. New tyres alone would cost 500. The wheels are almost throw away now.

Boris - if you are looking for a set of new Davenports, get ones with the 235 tyres. My last Cali had the 215‘s which were way less comfortable on the road than the 235’s.

tapatalk_1570707527140.jpeg

I am thinking of selling my Cascavels, they have some of the usual corrosion. My question is, should I sell them as they are, or refurbish them in silver and not leave any bright cut alloy showing? I think it is crazy to have clear laquer directly onto alloy in our climate. Ok in California with no salt on the roads.

The 2nd hand market depends on which version they are favouring black then anthracite and disliking silver.

The money is in the tyres really. Doubt you would get your money back on refurb costs unless you have access to commercial rates.

When I priced up refurb I was quoted over £100 per wheel.

Sold the (silver) Cascavals for £295.

I did think about a DIY job with black paint but didn't reckon the work & cost was worth the £100 or so extra I'd get.

I am thinking of selling my Cascavels, they have some of the usual corrosion. My question is, should I sell them as they are, or refurbish them in silver and not leave any bright cut alloy showing? I think it is crazy to have clear laquer directly onto alloy in our climate. Ok in California with no salt on the roads.
I don't know for certain but I'd question whether refurbishment was a viable way forward. It may be that the refurb costs end up being something near to what your wheels are currently worth. You may well end up out of pocket! They may realise more profit by selling them as they are. As for refurbishing them in silver, it's an idea and would certainly work out a lot cheaper than having them returned to as new in diamond turned format but I don't know what appeal they'd have in plain silver?

You haven't mentioned tyres. I suspect that without a good set of tyres then your corroded rims would have very little appeal or value.

My advice for what it's worth, would be to get yourself a set of bomb proof Devonports from Ebay. There's usually several sets on their with delivery miles. Most sets have 215 tyres fitted as they have been removed from vans. These tyres have a harsher ride as they run on higher pressure to cope with commercial use. Try and find a set sporting 235s. These have a much more compliant ride.

The Devonports are cheap to source, cheaper to refurb, don't corrode like the diamond jobs do and they are tough as old boots.

Last edited:
I don't know for certain but I'd question whether refurbishment was a viable way forward. It may be that the refurb costs end up being something near to what your wheels are currently worth. You may get more by selling them as they are. As for refurbishing them in silver, it's an idea and would certainly work out a lot cheaper than having them returned to as new in diamond turned format but I don't know what appeal they'd have in plain silver.
I've used a Cascaval wheel for a spare, bought with scrapes. I rubbed it down, wet & dry, etch primed then sprayed with a silver wheel paint. Only did some spokes.
Result is that you can only see the 'painted' spokes close up. That would indicate that an all silver wheel wouldn't look different to a Diamond cut one to the casual eye.
Black or a dark metallic might be the best option if a 4 wheel job being done.

I've used a Cascaval wheel for a spare, bought with scrapes. I rubbed it down, wet & dry, etch primed then sprayed with a silver wheel paint. Only did some spokes.
Result is that you can only see the 'painted' spokes close up. That would indicate that an all silver wheel wouldn't look different to a Diamond cut one to the casual eye.
Black or a dark metallic might be the best option if a 4 wheel job being done.
I have seen some articles on DIY refurbishing and the some of the results have been impressive. It's not something that I have ever tried though.

If you were doing the refurb for yourself then the colour and finish is a personal choice. However, if it's for resale, I suspect that most potential buyers would want the traditional diamond turned look. The beauty of these wheels is in the way they sparkle when the light hits the lacquered alloy surfaces. It would be difficult, neigh impossible to recreate that effect with paint.

Personally, I hate diamond turned wheels because they are doomed to corrode from day one. The diamond turning process creates sharp edges on the wheel's profile. Paint or lacquer will not stick to any sharp edges in the same depth as it does elsewhere. Therefore it's only a matter of time before the corrosion starts. Given the above, I don't know why they are so popular.

Last edited:
I have seen some articles on DIY refurbishing and the some of the results have been impressive. It's not something that I have ever tried though.

If you were doing the refurb for yourself then the colour and finish is a personal choice. However, if it's for resale, I suspect that most potential buyers would want the traditional diamond turned look. The beauty of these wheels is in the way they sparkle when the light hits the lacquered alloy surfaces. It would be difficult, neigh impossible to recreate that effect with paint.

Personally, I hate diamond turned wheels because they are doomed to corrode from day one. The diamond turning process creates sharp edges on the wheel's profile. Paint or lacquer will not stick to any sharp edges in the same depth as it does elsewhere. Therefore it's only a matter of time before the corrosion starts. Given the above, I don't know why they are so popular.
Ditto on diamond cut wheels.
Had them on my Wife's previous EOS, those were easy to kerb damage and definitely not a simple DIY job.
There are You Tube videos on how to do it but looked like days per wheel.

Some skilled application of a silver wrap film could be applied to get the same look.

Apparently they can only be diamond cut refurbished once due to metal removal.

Wouldn't have nor have them on any vehicle again.

Sell them as they are, otherwise unlikely you will get any outlay back.

California wheels + tyres with Delivery miles seem to go for £350 - £800 a set on EBay depending on alloy type.

We paid £400 a while ago for standard silver Cascavel’s & tyres with Delivery miles.
Then sold our old unmarked wheels + 3mm tyres for £250 so worked out cheaper for us than buying 4 new tyres (..but obviously not as much choice on tyre brand / type.)

When I bought My Mercedes SLK AMG I had the 18 inch wheels they started to “worm” just before the warranty expired so got 3 replaced under warranty..A year later the 4th wheel started to go but Mercedes wanted an arm an a leg for the other wheel so decided to have them stripped and coated gloss black, they looked absolutely stunning. Cost me around £220 for all the wheels but that was a few years ago so bound to be more than that now..

Thanks everybody for your responces. Three of the tyres are less than half worn and one is two thirds worn. I take your point about the value of refurbishing. I have done a set of Audi alloys with reasonable success, 9 coats. I quite like the idea of anthracite as most cars have silver.

IMG_0335.JPG

There should be plenty people out there willing to swap a set of standard davenports for option cascavels
Cascavels we’re more money davenports although slightly Easyer to clean are drab as drab gets....
You wouldn’t need to have them re diamond cut if your concerns are about cost just get the painted in silver or full anthracite

Just realised this is a re lighted post lol
Sorrrry!!!!!!

There should be plenty people out there willing to swap a set of standard davenports for option cascavels
Cascavels we’re more money davenports although slightly Easyer to clean are drab as drab gets....
You wouldn’t need to have them re diamond cut if your concerns are about cost just get the painted in silver or full anthracite

Just realised this is a re lighted post lol
Sorrrry!!!!!!
Davenports could be relatively easily altered in appearance by either using a wrap or paint on the flat area giving a spoked look.

Back