Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CAT1 and Insurance

Martin

Martin

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just had my renewal come through from Comfort and have been asked to check what security system it has as they said it should be CAT1 on a Cali but I cant find any documenation to that says this? Any ideas?

Re: Insurers - who are you with?

Thanks Mark for confirming that, I am sure I remember going through all this when I first purchased my Cali, the girl I just spoke to at Comfort said I need to have the certificate in the event of a claim ( I have never been asked this before) and I don't appear to have a certificate. My only worry now is as we know insurance companies will do anything to get out of a claim!

Re: Insurers - who are you with?

OK, I have just spoken to a manager at Comfort and he has explained this to me.

Yes the VW California does have a CAT1 system, however if you put a claim in for your Cali being stolen you would have to present the Thatcham certificate which will have the serial/certificate number of the immobiliser/alarm

So my advice:

1. Check your poilicy to see if you are insured with CAT1 installed
2. If you are, check to see if you have the certificate
3. If you do not have a certificate I would call your insurer

( Example below )

I have also called Aviva who are the underwiters and they also confirm this.

To be on the safe side I have removed CAT1 off my policy and it was only a difference of £12

-

Untitled.jpg

Very interesting. So, how do you get a certificate for a standard cail which is, apparently, CAT1 ?

Both people I spoke to said it would be with the documents you receive when your purchase your vehicle, I have looked hight and low and can't find anything. I am just on hold to VW customer services as i write.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Did you tell them that it is an OEM install?

Californiaman said:
Did you tell them that it is an OEM install?

Yes, he also said he was very familiar with the VW California so he actually knows they are all factory fitted but still said we need a certificate of some description.

I have just spoken to VWCS and they can confirm that they do not supply certificates or anything in writing so I guess this is another one of those grey areas where you don't find out until you have to put claim in.

Personally I am going to stick with not saying it has a CAT1 as the price difference was peanuts and there are so many scare stories of insurance companies using anything not to pay out.

It will be interesting to see what other insurers say on this?

Interesting...

I've known people (not on Cali's) to have existing installations inspected by.. insurance approved installers.. (crikey, that was a sentence) in order to get a certificate but they've tended to charge almost as much as for an installation.

I'll have to check my insurance. I don't believe I do have a discount for CAT1 but I do have a CAT6 or 7 (can't remember which) installation that I do have a certificate for.

As you say, for £12 difference, you're better off not having CAT1 specified!

Does the paltry £12 discount suggest anything about the value of Cat 1 to insurers?

I think it probably reflects that most newish cars stolen these days are stolen with the correct keys, thus rendering immobilizers etc irrelevant.

timhutch said:
Does the paltry £12 discount suggest anything about the value of Cat 1 to insurers?
A huge value to insurers. They suck you in with a discount and then refuse to pay out when your pride and joy gets nicked!

I have sent email to c0mfort asking for clarification of why they think the insurers would need a certificate when Cat 1 is clearly a standard install since 9/05.
Will advise.

Comfort say
"We do recognise the thatcham approved category one alarm device is factory fitted in respect of the VW California Motor Home.
We have noted your records accordingly."

I personally would get it in writing if I was you as that is the opposite to what the manager told me last week when I contacted them on behalf of the forum.

Back