Change from VW GC 600 to Hymer

Eber123

Eber123

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Motorhome
Hello,

Well, something has happened what I have not seen coming - we changed our camper.

Now that my wife has retired also, we plan to spend more time out and about. And even if we are very happy with our GC 600 we were missing a wee bit of space and a wee bit more comfort (yes, I know that sounds spoiled).

So we spoke about this and tried to weigh the pros and cons of a different camper, in other words can we accept the cons of a bigger and heavier camper? After a long decision process we decided that we can live with the cons.

What do we believe we gain?
We looking forward to more space. Space for the bikes (folding e-bikes), other things we believe we have to bring with us, more space for us (eg. separate shower / toilet to living area). No issues with weight (we will have about 1t left, that should be enough even with my big belly).

What will we lose?
The new camper is a motorhome 7.39m long. I used the GC 600 many, many times for normal drives (shopping, visiting etc.). The new one is a wee bit too big for that. The total weight is 4.43t. Of course this comes with a huge disadvantage (many roads are forbidden for vehicles over 3.5t, C1 license ((which I have)), higher cost for maut, etc.)

What are the challenges of change?
In order to change my wife and I agreed that if we change it has to be better as the GC 600. And that is a problem, because the GC 600 is a very good campervan. To get something better is automatically very expensive.
With the high price tag I run into a hiccup with Irish motorhome insurance companies, because they don't want to insure a camper with this value. So far I only have 1x offer, which is far more expensive as I expected.

What did we buy?
  • Hymer B-MC t 680.
  • Year = 2024
  • Overall length = 7.39m
  • Width = 2.29m
  • Weight = 4430kg
  • Transmission = Automatic
  • BHP = 170
  • Engine = 2.0

1728662248416.png

A few changes needs to be done (eg. install awning, change battery from AGM to Licium). We hope we will collect the motorhome at the end of this month.

Of course there are still questions. If there a warranty cases with the Sprinter, how will Mercedes in Dublin work with us? If there is an issue with the living area, we have to travel a good distance to the dealer. All this was very easy with the GC 600, because our VW dealer was close by.

But beside all this, we are really looking forward to get our new Hymer (her name will be Hazal by the way). We believe it will be a good companion on hour tours through Ireland and Europe to provide the space and comfort we are looking for. Also I can't wait to drive the Sprinter. People say it suppose to be better than the Crafter. I can't imagine that, because the Crafter is superb.

If you wish keep an eye on this thread, because I will from now on update the journey of changing camper vehicle in ROI (eg customs, VRT, insurance). Also I will start to build back the GC 600 and I believe there will be some parts available to purchase which might come in handy for other Grand California owners.

Regards,
Eberhard

Congratulations on the new van. I’ve been looking at something similar myself. I’ll probably end up with something even bigger in due course as I’ve got 3 nippers to seat & sleep in addition to me and the wife.

But that’s a cracker and all the downsides you mentioned are actually very few in reality. Having owned big motorhomes previously, I’ve rarely encountered any of the oft quoted issues from Campervaners and when I have they’ve been relatively immaterial.

Good luck with it and please keep us updated. I wish you many happy miles and memories!

So, I started to prepare the GC for handover to the motorhome dealer.

I thought it will take half a day, but working through the afternoon it was clear to me it will take at least 2 to 2 1/2 days. There was / is so much in the camper, everything to make camping experience better, easier or make the camper nicer.

I hope the weather will be ok tomorrow so I can continue. Wednesday we are in Birmingham to the Motorhome and Caravan Show. I really looking forward to it.

Regards,
Eberhard

Are you sure it is big enough? We went from a T6 Beach to fully Integrated A Class, haven't regretted it one bit. What are you going to keep in your garage?

From beach to A-class - now that’s going straight from one extreme to another @secret lemonade drinker :Grin I’m not sure an A-class would even fit in Ireland (although I do sometimes come across the odd Irish-reg A-class on the motorway. I wonder where they go).

Congrats @Eber123 - that looks class. We’ll be looking forward to the interior pics. What insurance quoted you? I had a similar problem with my Cali - it seems that only one insurer in the entire country will cover a campervan used as a main and only vehicle. So I’m now stuck with Dolmen and ever increasing annual premiums and can’t do the usual annual dance of switching insurer to keep premiums low. The joys of living in a tiny country with no competition.

Hope you have a wonderful time in your new van.

From beach to A-class - now that’s going straight from one extreme to another @secret lemonade drinker :Grin I’m not sure an A-class would even fit in Ireland (although I do sometimes come across the odd Irish-reg A-class on the motorway. I wonder where they go).

Congrats @Eber123 - that looks class. We’ll be looking forward to the interior pics. What insurance quoted you? I had a similar problem with my Cali - it seems that only one insurer in the entire country will cover a campervan used as a main and only vehicle. So I’m now stuck with Dolmen and ever increasing annual premiums and can’t do the usual annual dance of switching insurer to keep premiums low. The joys of living in a tiny country with no competition.

Hope you have a wonderful time in your new van.
Perhaps next year the UK registered A class on the Irish motorway could be me

I’ve done Ireland in my 9m, 7t Charisma A class. Not a bother. Wouldn’t hesitate in taking another over.

Hello @Mehdime ,

I am a wee bit frustrated with the camper insurance companies in ROI.

In 2017 I signed the contract to buy the VW California Ocean. Never spend a though about problems to get insurance for the California, because I thought any of the companies will insure it. Oh, was I wrong. It took me several days to get the insurance sorted.

Dolmen was the only company, at the time, able to offer insurance. Have I said that the first year was expensive (about EUR 880). Why I can't remember. The following years it got cheaper.

When we bought the GC 600 I was more sensitive about the issue, but Dolmen was still the best option. But have I said that, we had problems with the "small print". They could not get their head around that we use the camper as much as possible year round. They loved to see using the campervan for a few weeks a year. Only in the last 2x years we got it sorted. I must admit the last payment was about EUR 350 or so. Not bad.

No we bought the Hymer. In my inocence I thought I pay EUR 350 for the GC so double the price of the Hymer I pay about EUR 750 to EUR 850 for the Hymer.

Ha, was I wrong!

I don't want to go into details of the price of the Hymer, but there are only 2x companies in ROI even willing to offer a quote. Both quotes are so high that it could be a randsom for a king.

Of course it is up to the insurance companies what they charge, but after a week of looking up webpages and talking to people, it feels to me that I must be ashamed to buy a more expensive motorhome than usual. It feels to me that the insurance companies say if they can affort an expensive camper they also can affort the expensive insurance. Yes, the risk is higher for the insurance company, but to charge 6x or 7x times more for the Hymer than for the VW GC is exxesive.

Never the less we have no option then to chose one. At the moment there is only one outstanding query with Dolmen and if that comes back with a result we need we will stay with Dolmen. I hope that the the premium will come down with time.

I spoke to some motorhome dealers in ROI about this. If you check the webpages of motorhome dealers campervans cost in average EUR 100K and a motorhome easily EUR 200K. Potential customers might be discouraged to purchase a motorhome if the follow up costs are so high. There might be well off people out there who don't mind spending a lot on the motorhome and insurance, but other people, like us, saved years in order to finance our dream.

Well, it is what it is. We are still looking forward to our Hymer. We will meet the motorhome dealer in Birmingham as well and I hope to talk to Moving Intelligence, because we have to have an alarm, tracker and monitored Thatcham certified motorhome alarm. My good old Pandora Camper Mini won't do it anymore.

From a wee bit frustrated Hymer
Eberhard

My Insurance company insisted on a S5 Tracker, because of the value, it is a FIAT chassis, however the Mercedes has the MBUX system which if you have all the connected Mercedes Digital Services includes a Tracker, Alarm and Immobiliser monitored by Mercedes and works seamlessly with the Mercedes Me App, is your insurance company aware of this?

Hello @secret lemonade drinker

Pandora Camper Mini has very similiar functionality than Mercedes as you pointed out.

I am not 100% sure, but it feels to me that in ROI there is no camper insurance that you deal with directly. All camper insurance are over a broker.

I am with Dolmen insurance since 2017, but they are a broker too. We negotiated since I signed the sales contract of the Hymer. To all fairness they managed to get a better price for me saving hundereds of Euros. But brining over the point that Pandora or Mercedes has similiar functionality as a Thatcham certified alarm, is a task on its own, which I am relcutant to do at the moment.

Never the less, they send me a list of queries and demands from Axa before they insure me. I am glad that I can fulfill their "wishes".

At the moment I am glad that I found an insurer, for a price lower than the first quote.

Almost insured Hymer
Eberhard

I don't want to go into details of the price of the Hymer, but there are only 2x companies in ROI even willing to offer a quote. Both quotes are so high that it could be a randsom for a king.

Of course it is up to the insurance companies what they charge, but after a week of looking up webpages and talking to people, it feels to me that I must be ashamed to buy a more expensive motorhome than usual.
I hear you. I love Ireland and will definitely stay here for the foreseeable future. But yes, being different here or daring to own something that could be considered luxury (apart the “acceptable” luxury items like a big BMW that you’re expected to have to show your neighbors and colleagues that you’ve made it) can be tricky.

But hey, it’s all worth it in the end

Yesterday I contacted Dolmen of how many days we are allowed to stay in Europe. Many motorhome insurance allow 30x, 45x or 60x (only one 90x) days.

This is important to us because we plan to stay for about 6 to 8 weeks traveling on the continent each year.

Dolmen got back to me and confirmed in writing that their (Axa) policy has no restrictions / limits at all.

Hey, at least something positive, straight away, without negotiations and long discussion. :D

Regards,
Eberhard

PS
From this morning 9 am until now I continued to bring the GC to its "normal state". I am almost there. Thursday I will start to clean.