Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Change to Body Type Description

My insurance renews at the end of this month so I'm doing the rounds for my April registered Beach and already had a couple of insurers refusing to quote based on the MPV classification. I've had quotes ranging from £450 (an outlier, I suspect, and will ring them to confirm) up to £1550...
Waiting it out might get expensive:eek:

My insurance renews at the end of this month so I'm doing the rounds for my April registered Beach and already had a couple of insurers refusing to quote based on the MPV classification. I've had quotes ranging from £450 (an outlier, I suspect, and will ring them to confirm) up to £1550...
Waiting it out might get expensive:eek:

My 2019 Beach registration certificate states

BODY TYPE: MPV,
TAXATION CLASS: DIESEL CAR

I'm insured with LV -- £256 per year, 16,000 miles estimated, full no claims

hope that helps

Plenty of folks out there who've received tickets for doing 70 on a dual carriageway in an N1 but it will depend upon the type of vehicle.

If its a light commercial vehicle its:
  • Built-up areas (such as towns and cities): 30mph – the same as a car
  • Single carriageways: 50mph – 10mph less than a car
  • Dual carriageways: 60mph – 10mph less than a car
  • Motorways: 70mph – the same as a car
If its a van derived car:
  • Built-up areas: 30mph
  • Single carriageways: 60mph
  • Dual carriageways: 70mph
  • Motorways: 70mph

Hi Matt
Just out of interest what is the speed limit then for a 2019 ocean - I assume the same as a car ? (I’ve searched other threads but can’t finf an answer)
Thanks in adv.

... it had been established that the change was due to a VW error with the input of an incorrect MVRIS code when the California model is imported. I was told that VWCS is in the process of addressing this and to wait out. DVLA has confirmed MVRIS is an SMMT database (Here).

Any progress?

I see this petition has popped up, probably worth signing IMO
Signed

What a badly written document.

Try reading it from the point of view of someone who doesn't know what the problem is.

If someone is going to start a petition like this they need to get the wording right.

DVLA have never had a classification of Motorhome its always been Motor Caravan.
"now all camper vans are being rejected" - doesn't say what they are being rejected from
Why is a classification of a van with side windows wrong?
Why does a Campervan deserve its own classification?
Why is it unacceptable?
Classification for what?
Whats the difference between a motorhome and a campervan?

The chances of getting a new vehicle category introduced just for the sake of keeping a few 1000 buyers happy is nill. Just think of what the knock on effects would be & what legislation would need to be changed, speed limits for example.

After all that, I don't actually see what the problem is, if all van conversions end up as MPVs or WindowVans, the insurance companies & campsites will soon change their rules. There might be a couple of months of confusion initially. But theres more chance of getting campsites to change their rules than there is of the Road Traffic Regulations Act being rewritten.

What category do you put a Beach in?

I see this petition has popped up, probably worth signing IMO
Signed now at 118 signatures

Comfort’s underwriters have agreed to cover my Ocean even with DVLA’s MPV body type classification. So good news I think.

Cons: some campsites might ask to see my V5 and then reject me (leading to wild camp experience #1).

Pros: council can’t block my use of car park

Pros: council can’t block my use of car park

Do not be so sure. An Adjudicator could decide that as the California Ocean meets the minimum features to qualify as a motor caravan, it is a motor caravan for the purposes of parking restrictions, irrespective of how the body type is described on the V5C. Enjoy! :thumb

Back