Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changes on the T6 Cali interior

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
Having just seen the new T6 California and Beach models at Dusseldorf Caravan Show below is a list of key things that we noticed as being different. I know there is a T6 section but thought current owners might be interested too...
I will be getting a finalised list of the UK model Ocean specs and options very soon to pass on...
  • The rear blind has been redesigned to be less flimsy and fit more securely
  • The front blinds are also new, using the pull-out from side pillars system. Two LED dimmable lighting in the tailgate, start from bright.

• The elevating roof now has two lights at the front and one in the rear to light the upper berth, replacing the old flexi light stalk, (the flexi-light is now an optional extra). These roof lights start from dim and brighten to the level you want.

• There is also a 12v socket by the roof light switch in the section above the cab door

• The grain of the cabinets is slightly different, with a darker wood appearance and the upholstery comes in new colours and pattern options.

• The cutlery drawer has been improved and now has soft closing

• A multi-function cup holder / ashtray/towel holder which can be clipped to the front of the cooker cabinet is standard.

• The old tent style roof canvas has been updated with a new water/wind proof polyester fabric, and you can even choose to have the fabric in glacier blue or strawberry pink as an optional extra!

• One very natty new option we liked was the built in rechargeable torch with its own holder / charging socket on the rear of the RH cab seat base, which can also attach magnetically to any metal surface.

• There is also an optional shower / hose for outside use

Thanks for that David, very informative and the the new roof fabric is interesting.

Re the rechargeable torch, that was available on the T5; not sure if it will be the same though. I've never used ours ..... too hard to detach.

Admit it, it's a 5.2 really.

Torch. I thought it was just me that found it difficult to remove. Managed once but more by luck. Now covered by a Brandrup storage bag.

Roof fabric is a plus.

Do VW actually say what T number any of these vans are?

I don't follow the logic of some of them, especially the T2.5! What happened to the T3?

And I bet the T1 was never called that until the T2 came out :D

Hi David,

Thank you for taking the time to document the differences it would have been difficult to find that information...

Are you able to confirm if the two tone and adaptive (dynamic?) suspension will be offered in the UK Cali's as I can't see these in the brochure?

regards,

Mark

T1. Beetle
T2 split & bay window
T3 T25 wedge
T4 transporter
T5 transporter 2004 -2009
T5.1 transporter facelift 2009-2015
T6. Sometime in the future

Last edited:
My understanding ...

T1 - Splittie
T2 - Bay
T2.5 - Wedgie (this was a big change from the T2, why only 2.5?)
T3 - never existed? (unless this was the water-cooled T2.5)
T4 - first front engine 4 cylinder
T5 - second front engined one, 5 cylinder
T5.1 - T5 minus one cylinder, Cali version has different colour seats and furniture
T6 - T5.1 with (Cali) differences as Davids post, plus more efficient engine and subtle styling mods
T7 - T6 with different colour seats and furniture; with permanent Internet connection to VW Car Net via direct debit subscription :D (you think I'm joking? wait and see .... latest Golfs already are)

I'm pretty sure it was T25 not T2.5
Was also known as T3.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Consulting my 'Little book of Camper Vans' it explains the following: Type 1 is the Beetle, Type 2 the Campervan of which the T1 is the Splittie, T2 the Bay, T3 was known as T25 in the UK, T4 and T5 as above. Should anyone care ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seem to recall the same argument when the T5.1 (or T5.5 as some call it) came out and whether this was a T6. So was the change between the T5 and T5.5 greater or less than that between the T5.5 and T6.
As above.... Do we really care?

ah well as my Cali is 2012 the torch was not optional (maybe I simply did not see it listed) so was new to me as maybe other things are!
Only Generation Six available in two tone and in UK and only in red/white and very limited.

ah well as my Cali is 2012 the torch was not optional (maybe I simply did not see it listed) so was new to me as maybe other things are!
You're not missing anything!

• The front blinds are also new, using the pull-out from side pillars system.

Is this different from the A-pillar blinds that were available as an option on LHD Cali's since 2006 or is it the same? Put them on our 2009 as a retrofit, relatively easy but a bit of mod to the plastics required due to the different dash... to be honest... not a good mod. Flimsy and the magnet fastening poor. Took them out again a year later and went back to standard blind with poles which I find excellent.

Rgds

Mark

Yes I think its basically an upgraded version of the previous LHD option...they attach to a clip by rv mirror...I don't like the fact that they are only partial blackout as don't fit snug with a gap at top ...I much prefer my exterior side/window wrap cover....and I agree they seem a bit flimsy as well...all the Cali blinds have to be treated very gently I find!

Thanks for that David, very informative and the the new roof fabric is interesting.

Re the rechargeable torch, that was available on the T5; not sure if it will be the same though. I've never used ours ..... too hard to detach.
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that torch. Must go and look for it ...

Hope they sorted out the cup holders!

Are there any pictures showing the clip on cup holder available?

Looks useful to me, I could do with a couple as cup Holders, and perhaps one to mount an iPad support bracket on, Am already thinking I could use a pair to support a small shelf. I bet they will cost a fortune.

Anything that helps with somewhere to put stuff whilst the hob/sink are in use is useful, especially if you have the 5th seat in which prevents the slide along table being used.

The brochures also suggested there were additional shelves in the interior, anyone know where/ what they are, I assumed for some reason they would be in one of the lower cupboards.

Type 3 (T3) was the fastback like this
560px-VW_Typ_3_front_20080227.jpg

Ah... the all too common mixing up of "Types" with "T's" :)

Back