Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Charge for software update

J

johna

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Called out VW Assist for an EPC fault and the vehicle entering limo mode. Local garage guy they called out couldn’t find a fault using his computer and the problem has not repeated. Ever since, the infotainment has failed to load.

Van now in garage for service and the EPC fault is being sorted under warranty, but they say the infotainment problem can only be sorted with a software upgrade which will cost over £200.

Has anyone been charged for this?

Surely your infotainment has the same warranty?
That’s what I said, and now they say yes it is covered, but because it will take 2 hours to do the update (???) there isn’t time to do it today before they finish. The fact I’ve already devoted a day to travel 2 hours each way to the garage, is irrelevant to them. Hey-ho.

Called out VW Assist for an EPC fault and the vehicle entering limo mode. Local garage guy they called out couldn’t find a fault using his computer and the problem has not repeated. Ever since, the infotainment has failed to load.

Van now in garage for service and the EPC fault is being sorted under warranty, but they say the infotainment problem can only be sorted with a software upgrade which will cost over £200.

Has anyone been charged for this?
Do all Ocean's have a "limo" mode? :cool:

That’s what I said, and now they say yes it is covered, but because it will take 2 hours to do the update (???) there isn’t time to do it today before they finish. The fact I’ve already devoted a day to travel 2 hours each way to the garage, is irrelevant to them. Hey-ho.
Newbridge?

By local garage guy I assume you mean a VW garage.

They should not charge to do the software update. Yes it takes a long time. No you don't pay for it.
Should also do OTA.

They diddling you and I'd ring VW UK and complain.

If you do pay make sure you say you are "paying under duress" and write it on the invoice you give back to them and then get VW UK to refund you. Let them know you are going to do this. You will likely find the charge magically disappears.

Iv had software update free charge under warranty at swansway Birmingham, should be under warranty ?

Yes always problem taking vehicle in , but if under warranty they offer free pick up an collection service .

In past was unaware this , was pain as 20 mile there an back , but normally involved 2 visits but they always have keep it full day !!!!
Can't do while you wait ???
Ist visit just to look !!
2 nd visit to actually do the work .
Basically a time wasting exercise for the customer .
With both lost time an travel

Apparently Master Tech Colin Jeff's at swansway Liverpool is the best tech in the whole country.
So we'll worth visit too him if anyone is near that way, with any technical issues.

A lot of the volks techs not correctly trained with specific california issues so had to get someone who knows these vehicles with precision knowledge

VW Preston did a SW update for me my last week - no charge. Not sure how they can claim £200, 5 mins a max to set it going and then wait a few minutes for it to complete the download and installation.

By local garage guy I assume you mean a VW garage.

They should not charge to do the software update. Yes it takes a long time. No you don't pay for it.
Should also do OTA.

They diddling you and I'd ring VW UK and complain.

If you do pay make sure you say you are "paying under duress" and write it on the invoice you give back to them and then get VW UK to refund you. Let them know you are going to do this. You will likely find the charge magically disappears.
What OTA ??

That’s just theft!

We get Tesla ones for free, message comes up your phone app, you click run update when at home and it’s done over WiFi.

OTA, if your car has a "distress" button then it has a mobile phone built in somewhere and the manufacturer can do software updates using the mobile phone data connection.

Back