Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Charging an electric bike using the 230v inverter

D

DavidG

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hello everyone, advice needed. I'm wanting to purchase an electric bike to use when away in my Cali. I would need to charge using the 230 AC inverter as we don't use campsites and therefore don't have the hook-up option.

The charger needs "3amp at 230v". I don't think the on-board inverter could supply that, but my memory of long past physics lessons is long ago faded. Anyone advise on this or experience of doing this.

Hello everyone, advice needed. I'm wanting to purchase an electric bike to use when away in my Cali. I would need to charge using the 230 AC inverter as we don't use campsites and therefore don't have the hook-up option.

The charger needs "3amp at 230v". I don't think the on-board inverter could supply that, but my memory of long past physics lessons is long ago faded. Anyone advise on this or experience of doing this.
The on-board Inverter is only 150 Watts so a maximum 0.5 amps at 230 v.

You have 2 Options.
Your e-bike maker may have a 12 v Charger.

A separate 600 watt, minimum, Inverter wired to your Leisure Batteries. A word of warning, a 600 w Inverter will take upto 50 amps/hr from the 12 v Leisure Batteries.

Whichever way you go you will be hammering the Leisure Batteries. Enlarging the capacity and fitting solar charging will help, but depending solely on them will be problematic.

What make of e-bike / e-bike motor do you have? This may be of some help: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/charging-e-bike-batteries.23598/

The on-board Inverter is only 150 Watts so a maximum 0.5 amps at 230 v.

You have 2 Options.
Your e-bike maker may have a 12 v Charger.

A separate 600 watt, minimum, Inverter wired to your Leisure Batteries. A word of warning, a 600 w Inverter will take upto 50 amps/hr from the 12 v Leisure Batteries.

Whichever way you go you will be hammering the Leisure Batteries. Enlarging the capacity and fitting solar charging will help, but depending solely on them will be problematic.

Thanks for this. I'd be interested to hear about your solar system in your cali spec?