Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Charging cable uk adapter

J

johns6809

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We got our new Cali a week or so ago. It came with a pathetic 2 metre long charging cable. However with the cali in our garage it is just the right length to plug in to a nearby socket for charging. But of course it has a German 2 pin plug on the end of it. Does anyone know if there is an adapter to enable me to plug it into our regular uk 3 pin supply? .
It would be a clat about using our 25m cable in the garage.

Last edited:
You've got two choices - pop to Halfords or similar & pick up the uk version of the lead for a fiver
alternatively if you are never going to use the 2 pin lead cut the plug off & stick a Uk one on.

We got our new Cali a week or so ago. It came with a pathetic 1 metre long charging cable. However with the cali in our garage it is just the right length to plug in to a nearby socket for charging. But of course it has a German 2 pin plug on the end of it. Does anyone know if there is an adapter to enable me to plug it into our regular uk 3 pin supply? .
I think that’s the cable that comes with a new vehicle for traveling abroad. You connect it to the end of your normal 25m EHU cable.

We got our new Cali a week or so ago. It came with a pathetic 1 metre long charging cable. However with the cali in our garage it is just the right length to plug in to a nearby socket for charging. But of course it has a German 2 pin plug on the end of it. Does anyone know if there is an adapter to enable me to plug it into our regular uk 3 pin supply? .
I’d buy a UK one which we did and use at home very infrequently. We have both in the boot to use in home charging emergencies. The EU one has come in handy at my daughter’s house in France several times. They cost peanuts from most stores or sites inc eBay and Amazon. Buy some cable and use the two ends to make any length you want. Unless you leave your Cali standing for weeks on end you have no need to plug in at all.

I think that’s the cable that comes with a new vehicle for traveling abroad. You connect it to the end of your normal 25m EHU cable.
Thanks for that. Went and checked. It wouldn't fit in the socket anyway because of the spring loaded lid. Glad i didn't cut the end off to fit a plug. :rolleyes: :)

Thanks for that. Went and checked. It wouldn't fit in the socket anyway because of the spring loaded lid. Glad i didn't cut the end off to fit a plug. :rolleyes: :)
The spring loaded lid shouldn't stop it fitting the socket, the lid clips onto the outside of the socket on the van to keep it securely in place.

I bought a 20m length with male / female plug on each end, but now regret it. Far better to have two 10 m lengths that can join up as and when needed. I also regret not thinking carefully about the type of cable needed. I would try to buy cable that is flexible. Things get very twisty with long lengths. Sorting this is about number 25 on my camping ‘to do’ list.

Any recommendations from anyone on flexi cable and where to source it?

I think go outdoors does one for around a fiver?

I bought a 20m length with male / female plug on each end, but now regret it. Far better to have two 10 m lengths that can join up as and when needed. I also regret not thinking carefully about the type of cable needed. I would try to buy cable that is flexible. Things get very twisty with long lengths. Sorting this is about number 25 on my camping ‘to do’ list.

Any recommendations from anyone on flexi cable and where to source it?
Some sites are a bit touchy about joined cables and don’t allow them.

I ended up buying 20m of UK made wire that is super flexible regardless of the temperature. Not cheap though. Think it was about 70 quid.

Last edited:
The join is the problem. Imagine it sat in a puddle while you're boiling a kettle and have 6 iPads on charge.

Search on Amazon for a Schuko to UK plug adapter, they are there, I have used them for my model trains for years.

As for the cable you guys need to find 2.5mm Orange Artic Flex, CPC is a good source for this cable, and the connectors, a lot cheaper than £70.

The blue 16A circular connectors are IP44 rated for use on building sites and should work fine "sat in a puddle" as long as it is not fully immersed and then driven over by a cement mixer! You RCD would protect you and your equipment if immersion was a problem.

I took one apart recently and was surprised how little there was to it.

The blue 16A circular connectors are IP44 rated for use on building sites and should work fine "sat in a puddle" as long as it is not fully immersed and then driven over by a cement mixer! You RCD would protect you and your equipment if immersion was a problem.
Some sites have Rules against using an extension cable, nothing to do with your safety.

I buy EHU cables from:

As cheap as buying the different bits, helpful people if you have a special length/requirement.

Enter "how to wind cables properly" on YouTube and choose a video, I only learned this aged 70 wish I had before. My favourite:

Schuko adaptors are two a penny on eBay, different types suit different applications.

Some sites have Rules against using an extension cable, nothing to do with your safety.
You are right, their rule is to protect their site equipment and is covered in the IEE wiring Regulations 17th Edition but the mis-interpretation is that you are specifically only allowed one cable run of 25m maximum, the regs does not preclude the use of multiple cables as long as it is one cable to one connector to one cable up to a maximum combined length of (the magic) 25m length.

How many times have you seen wonderful camping people with a 25m cable with 15m of it coiled neatly under their van, this becomes an inductor and a heater and therefore a credible fire risk.

I firmly believe it is safer to have two or three specific lengths of cable, I have a 5m, 10m, and a 25m so I don't inadvertently set fire to my van, don't draw too much site current and always have a suitable length to connect my vehicle to the EHU safely and appropriately.

IP44 is splash proof & not submersible. You need IP67 if it's going in a puddle.
I don't know what building sites you've been on, but 240v cables are only used for hooking up cabins & the only time those plugs are used is at the final connection to the cabin & then only rarely.

How many times have you seen wonderful camping people with a 25m cable with 15m of it coiled neatly under their van, this becomes an inductor and a heater and therefore a credible fire risk.

A wound cable is only unsafe if overloaded, hence extension leads will have a double rating such as below example:

Max load unwound: 3200W, 13A
Max load wound: 1100W, 4.4A

You can just lay a longer cable under the van in such a way so that the excess is not coiled.
Prefer to take one cable as takes up less space.

IP44 is splash proof & not submersible. You need IP67 if it's going in a puddle.
I don't know what building sites you've been on, but 240v cables are only used for hooking up cabins & the only time those plugs are used is at the final connection to the cabin & then only rarely.
On a building site the specification of the cable and connector remains the same, the colour is changed according to the voltage, blue is 240 v ac, yellow is 110 volts ac centre tapped so maximum shock is 55 volts ac however the current is doubled

We have the aforementioned more pliable cable and the orange drum did my head in so gave it away. Now just roll it up into a Duck bag. On site just coil very loosely behind the back wheel.

The circumstances needed to turn it into a inductor and overheat are never going to happen for us, not being one of the air fryer in a camper van lunatics.

Max ours gets is a low watt kettle or hairdryer in the morning.

I did once fully load it when coiled and spin it around my head fast enough to turn it into a magnet and see if it attracted all the white whale tat on site. Didn’t work. JK.

Last edited: