Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Euro 2 pin socket

I will be interested in that plug.

It's shaped to fit in the invertor socket and it is apple-compatible so should work. I have a 2-pin to three pin adaptor for that socket, every low wattage device works fine except for one.... my macbook.

This fits the 12V socket if it doesn't....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OM1UPQM/?tag=eliteelect-21

I've run my Macbook off the inverter socket a few times, but the power adaptor did make some alarming noises. I suspect this is due to the Cali inverter producing a "modified", rather than a pure, sine wave. Pure sine wave inverters are more complex and expensive.

If I was intending to use my laptop a lot I'd get a 12 volt adaptor like the Lavolta. It's going to be a lot more efficient too.

Yes, but it won't charge my macbook, something about the sine profile...

not that I would have a clue what that means, I know more about sin than sine:shocked
I use the lavolta too, to charge my mac on the go. Works well.

Reactions: DM
I've run my Macbook off the inverter socket a few times, but the power adaptor did make some alarming noises. I suspect this is due to the Cali inverter producing a "modified", rather than a pure, sine wave. Pure sine wave inverters are more complex and expensive.

If I was intending to use my laptop a lot I'd get a 12 volt adaptor like the Lavolta. It's going to be a lot more efficient too.
Thanks

DM/Dave sound like you may get an issue with the inverter but gizmo you are getting may be an answer, or not and it will be the Lavolta.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Dave sound like you may get an issue with the inverter but gizmo you are getting may be an answer, or not and it will be the Lavolta.

I'll open it carefully so it can go back if it doesn't work :thumb

I use those quite often with a Macbook Pro. Generally the ones from Amazon or eBay are Chinese copies of the Apple two pin adapter, but they still work fine (I have both Apple ones and copies).

There are two small drawbacks - the first is that the Macbook power supply loses its earth connection (there is a little metal button on the power supply that usually connects to the earth in the flexible cable). There is no danger from not having the earth, although I have discovered that the Macbook's aluminium case sometimes seems to 'buzz' very slightly using the euro adapter or the UK adapter instead of the earthed cable. This probably has something to do with how clean the neutral is, on the mains supply.

The second drawback is just efficiency. The Lavolta adapter boosts the 12 Volt DC battery supply to about 20 Volts DC (depending on the the model), this is pretty efficient - up to 98% if you believe some of the electronics spec sheets. If you use a 2-pin adapter with the Macbook power supply in the inverter instead, then the inverter converts from 12 VDC to 240 VAC, and then your power supply converts back to 20 VDC. Neither of these conversions are as efficient as the 12 VDC to 20 VDC one, so you will use more of your leisure battery power.

I have used a Lavolta adapter for several years to power various Macbooks from the 12V supply in my car and will continue to use one once I have a California to plug it in to.

WARNING

If you do go down the Lavolta route make very sure you pick the right one. I want one for a MacBook Air 13" Model A1466. Amazon for example sell an identical looking charger but for a MacBook Air A1465 .
In addition to these two there are others so just be careful.
Model No. For mine was on the back in very small writing so get your specs ready.

Mike,

I've just ordered one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007G5CJ1K/?tag=eliteelect-21

It's an adapter that will enable you to plug your original apple charger into the 2 pin euro socket which is fed from the invertor (so will work off the leisure battery). The one I've ordered is expensive but it is supposedly a genuine Apple accessory and since work has just bought me a shiny new macbook pro I'd better not risk blowing it up with a dodgy adapter.

There are much cheaper (approx ÂŁ5) ones available on eBay. The risk should be minimal as I'm pretty sure the adapter is passive.

I should be getting it mid-week so I'll confirm whether it does the job.

Dave
The adaptor turned up and I have tested it. It seems to work well with both a new Macbook (USB-C charger) and a Macbook Pro.

As others have commented - the charger does hum, although I wouldn't call it alarming - more soothing ;).

I'm going to go with this rather than the Lavolta route because it is compatible with both opur Macs - I'd have to buy two separate Lavoltas.

I acknowledge that it wilI be less efficient than a 12V solution and guess there is a small risk that it will reduce the life of the charger - but the cables on Apple chargers fail long before the electronics so I'll take that risk.

Dave

PS. I also bought a 'rapid charge' 12V USB adapter to try with the Macbook on USB-C. It did work but the problem with this method is that it doesn't deliver enough power. The Apple charger delivers 29W over the USB-C. The highest power 12V adapter I could find was 4.2A. Theoretically that should deliver over 20W but the time to recharge the laptop showed as over 3 x longer. Interestingly it was no different using the 12V socket on the dashboard or the 20A one on the side of the sink.

Too many cables already - I need to consolidate.

The adaptor turned up and I have tested it. It seems to work well with both a new Macbook (USB-C charger) and a Macbook Pro.

As others have commented - the charger does hum, although I wouldn't call it alarming - more soothing ;).

I'm going to go with this rather than the Lavolta route because it is compatible with both opur Macs - I'd have to buy two separate Lavoltas.

I acknowledge that it wilI be less efficient than a 12V solution and guess there is a small risk that it will reduce the life of the charger - but the cables on Apple chargers fail long before the electronics so I'll take that risk.

Dave

PS. I also bought a 'rapid charge' 12V USB adapter to try with the Macbook on USB-C. It did work but the problem with this method is that it doesn't deliver enough power. The Apple charger delivers 29W over the USB-C. The highest power 12V adapter I could find was 4.2A. Theoretically that should deliver over 20W but the time to recharge the laptop showed as over 3 x longer. Interestingly it was no different using the 12V socket on the dashboard or the 20A one on the side of the sink.

Too many cables already - I need to consolidate.
Thanks Dave. Good to know I can go down this route. Probably going to go down the Lavolta route as I can leave it in the Cali and it's normal power lead at home and we only have the one laptop to consider. I think I have all my cables and adapters now bar one. Definitely been worth while getting it sorted.

Hi all... Does anyone know if I can get an adapter that converts the 2 pin euro socket behind the passenger's seat to a 3 pin socket.... I know I can only draw 150 watts front his point but would like to plug a UK 3 pin plug in when not hooked up to mains... Thanks Paul
Just ordered one of these, any problems I will let you know, ideal for the TV when not on hook up?
$_1.JPG

Rewireable Black 2 pin European EU mains plug 10A 250V
Item price ÂŁ 2.70
Quantity 1
Item number 262443341269
Delivery service Royal Mail 2nd Class

It's worth noting that the euro socket is not the same size as two pin shaver sockets..... I spent ages puzzling over why my shaver wouldn't plug in. The pins are are fractionally different so don't force it!

Just ordered one of these, any problems I will let you know, ideal for the TV when not on hook up?
$_1.JPG

Rewireable Black 2 pin European EU mains plug 10A 250V
Item price ÂŁ 2.70
Quantity 1
Item number 262443341269
Delivery service Royal Mail 2nd Class
Your TV would have to be very low power to work this way. The socket can only deliver 150W. That's only 0.6A at 250V. I'm not sure what it trips if you try to draw too much but something will have to give.

Your TV would have to be very low power to work this way. The socket can only deliver 150W. That's only 0.6A at 250V. I'm not sure what it trips if you try to draw too much but something will have to give.
50 watts LED, should be fine.

50 watts LED, should be fine.
Sounds good. Let us know how you get on. Is the TV designed primarily for AC or DC use. The invertor probably doesn't deliver the cleanest output. But since all the componants in the TV are DC one would hope it would be OK.

Hi all... Does anyone know if I can get an adapter that converts the 2 pin euro socket behind the passenger's seat to a 3 pin socket.... I know I can only draw 150 watts front his point but would like to plug a UK 3 pin plug in when not hooked up to mains... Thanks Paul
I bought one of these on eBay for under ÂŁ8 and free postage it works a treat and gives another two USB ports if required:
Fuji World Travel Plug Adapter with USB Charger w/4 built-in socket plugs & Fuse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will overheat and trip out. It could also blow the fuse.

Roughly translated, it means I have an unlocked iPhone in my pocket and it's been touched by something whilst running through the rain.

Many apologies

Roughly translated, it means I have an unlocked iPhone in my pocket and it's been touched by something whilst running through the rain.

Many apologies

I thought I had missed something

Back