Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Chip Advice needed

Ladymuck

Ladymuck

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi, my 4 week old Cali has it's first chip :-( my husband was putting the table away in the sliding door and fell and whacked the table on the van. It's only a tiny chip but its annoying me and i want it gone. I would appreciate some advice as I've no experience in this sort of thing, do I order a touch up kit and repair now? I'd probably do a rubbish job but is it small enough for even me to do ? Should I get it done by chips away or wait till there are more ?
Thanks

20210417_092223.jpg

Hi, my 4 week old Cali has it's first chip :-( my husband was putting the table away in the sliding door and fell and whacked the table on the van. It's only a tiny chip but its annoying me and i want it gone. I would appreciate some advice as I've no experience in this sort of thing, do I order a touch up kit and repair now? I'd probably do a rubbish job but is it small enough for even me to do ? Should I get it done by chips away or wait till there are more ?
Thanks

View attachment 76848
Depends. If you want it to disappear, then a professional repair. If you want it less obvious Touch Up Kit. Plenty on eBay or Amazon.
If you are going to Use the vehicle for adventures then this won't be the last.
Personally, touch up and professional repair when selling.

I know it’s a new vehicle and I can empathise, but I’ve become accustomed to picking up wabi-sabi. I’m careful, but accept that it will pick up scratches and scrapes in its lifetime driving about, camping, canoeing, loading stuff, unpacking, bike racks. Part of aging like patina, wrinkles or thinning hair.

Anyway, I scratched up mine pretty bad putting a canoe rack on. Chips Away did a cracking job, colour matching was excellent and I guess the quality of the work is down to the individual who does it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depends. If you want it to disappear, then a professional repair. If you want it less obvious Touch Up Kit. Plenty on eBay or Amazon.
If you are going to Use the vehicle for adventures then this won't be the last.
Personally, touch up and professional repair when selling.
So if I did my own less than perfect touch up now they would still be able to a professional repair on it at a later date? Just thinking I may as well wait for professional repair when, inevitably, a few more appear ...

So if I did my own less than perfect touch up now they would still be able to a professional repair on it at a later date? Just thinking I may as well wait for professional repair when, inevitably, a few more appear ...
Yes you could do that because in prepping for a smart repair they would remove any touch up paint applied. But if it was me I wouldn’t wait. You will feel so much better about it if you get it done and it probably won’t cost much for a small chip repair like that.

Yes. Otherwise be prepared to put the Chip Repair man on Speed Dial. :thumb

Yes you could do that because in prepping for a smart repair they would remove any touch up paint applied. But if it was me I wouldn’t wait. You will feel so much better about it if you get it done and it probably won’t cost much for a small chip repair like that.
The first chip definately hurts the most ! You are right I would feel better after a pro repair, thank you

Yes. Otherwise be prepared to put the Chip Repair man on Speed Dial. :thumb
Looks like chips away are going to have a good customer, I wonder if they do loyalty points....

Buy a touch up from VW direct not the ebay stuff as it often doesnt match etc etc. Dip a thin diameter implement (about 1mm diameter) into the colour then dab it on the chip. If you cock it up then wipe it with a cloth immediately and try again. Dont apply the clear lacquer it will look a mess.

Thanks

View attachment 76848
Just leave it, battle scars just show that you using your van to the full.

DIY repairs tend to look worse than the original damage.

Dont do a so called pro repair for that. Its not oven baked and may not match. Just dont. I spray my cars for a hobby.

Maybe we should hear Lordmuck’s version of this incident?
He's not on here unfortunately and not particulary interested in the Cali I'm afraid. I bought it, so he sees it as my van and doesn't seem bothered about the chip ..

He's not on here unfortunately and not particulary interested in the Cali I'm afraid. I bought it, so he sees it as my van and doesn't seem bothered about the chip ..
He might come round in time! Good luck.

Chipex is pretty good, easy to apply and no lacquer needed. Looks great but Starlight will really show the scratches so getting a pot now may be a good investment.

Chipex is pretty good, easy to apply and no lacquer needed. Looks great but Starlight will really show the scratches so getting a pot now may be a good investment.
I will look at that thanks

first cut is always the deepest

diy touch up is ok to protect against rust etc, but unless you are insanely patient and diligent when applying then polishing you will always notice it.

Professional chip repair will make it disappear.

Kick him in the nuts ! :Iamsorry

Back