Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cinch! Hub...Quechua Base Alternative

Email this morning, delivery delayed again until May 20th/23rd.

View attachment 30889View attachment 30890Update: As Cinch! appear to trade only though crowdfunding sites, today (12th March 2018) marked the start of their 2018 campaign on Indiegogo...

https://igg.me/at/cinchtents/x/18313436

As promised the new range of tents includes the Quechua Base alternative, which Cinch! call the Pod...you’ll notice the similarities between the two tents, I think the sizes are similar too.

The price for the next 24hours is $275, which according to current exchange rates is roughly £200.

It’s a bit more than the old Quechua Base, but Cinch! seem to include a ground sheet. The price then goes up $50 for the following 29 days when the campaign closes.

I’m going to back the campaign as it looks a decent lightweight alternative for folk who don’t want an awning, but still need somewhere to store kit whilst on camp sites.
Could be made by the same people who manufactured them for Quechua.

Pop ups are really good, but only if you can remember how to pack them away or have Internet to check on YouTube. My mate has one and the time she saves popping it up is negated by the time it takes to get it in the bag (oh, and the cursing!!!).

Hmmm.
Sounds to me like they are taking the wee wee...
Which is a real shame as the base camp is brilliant.
Get onto Decathlon and tell them to start producing them again.

I emailed Decathlon.....View attachment 43407
Just looked at this Quechua. It’s just a pole and sleeve awning with a sewn in groundsheet, like many others available. l would recommend a driveaway awning as it’ll be a lot more flexible, you can have it stand alone or attached. If you have a wind out awning (and space where you’ve pitched) you can also roll that out and attach the driveaway to that or attach right up to the van.

We have a few different awnings for different camping situations but mainly use:
  • An Outdoor Revolution, pole and sleeve, Outhouse Handi - for very short trips where we only need some extra storage space and room to cook, hang wet coats/boots and dry the wet dog.
  • A Khyam, quick erect, tourer - for longer trips where we want a little more space for sitting/relaxing in as well. For extra long trips we have an extension to this (opulently known as “the west wing”).
Both of the above are easy to set up on my own.

Here’s a pic of our old Toyota with awning wound out about 1m and Ikea shower curtains at the sides for rain protection and/or privacy. Just tie them up for light, better view, ventilation, etc. Good thing with this is that if you drive away you don’t have to get back into the exact same place. As long as you’re straight you can tension the awning “tunnel” when you reattach so no sagging, rain pooling or wind flapping. Will be doing this next week on our new Cali.

Personally, I don’t like a sewn in groundsheet. They get wrecked on gravel/hard standing if you don’t use a footprint undersheet and in summer I like to just have grass underfoot. Also some sites insist you lift or turn groundsheet every day/few days. On grass if it’s wet or cold I would rather have a separate groundsheet that I can easily lift and move independently.

Outdoor revolution Outhouse handi xl driveaway. 2 poles, peg out attach to van and driveaway. If you need a small unit the footprint is only 2x2m + the tunnel. Attach to a wound out wind out awning and have extra space.

More expensive than the Quechua but I think it’s worth it to connect to the van and get that extra space and or weather protection.

Last edited:
Hi,
Not received the Cinch yet. Got an email last week (Wednesday 12th) to say that I should be getting a dispatch/tracking number within the next 5 working days. Disappointed that still waiting for confirmation.

Outdoor revolution Outhouse handi xl driveaway. 2 poles, peg out attach to van and driveaway. If you need a small unit the footprint is only 2x2m + the tunnel. Attach to a wound out wind out awning and have extra space.

More expensive than the Quechua but I think it’s worth it to connect to the van and get that extra space and or weather protection.

I have the Cayman Tail, same setup with 2 poles and very fast to pitch and take down.

Forgot to mention that of course with all driveways you can stay detached, so more options and choices as to layout and setup.

Interesting aspect of crowd funding seems that they invest a lot in product design and marketing but don’t seem to be geared up to cope with the logistics of actually delivering the product when it’s a success.
They seem to be getting a bit of a kicking on Facebook!
Hope it’s a success though as it does look like a good alternative to the Quechua Base Seconds, which I have,

Good to hear they have been dispatched . Unfortunately mine still too arrive .

Mine has gotten lost in the post, apparently Yodel are to blame, so the saga continues...you really couldn’t make it up :mute

Mine has gotten lost in the post, apparently Yodel are to blame, so the saga continues...you really couldn’t make it up :mute
That’s a shame, hope they can sort it out for you. It will be worth it when it arrives.

Pleased with mine so far, good quality and quick to put up and take down (in the garden anyway). Will use on a trip next week

Oh no! I’m not surprised that Yodel lost it, they are useless. Very disappointing for you though.
Hope it gets resolved.

Couple of pics, sorry not very good at taking photos. Really pleased with the hub, easy to put up and take down, and gives us the extra space we were hoping for and just the right height that we can get the wind out awning to meet it4C275843-CD8A-4BBA-A969-EF769004E62C.jpeg

Couple of pics, sorry not very good at taking photos. Really pleased with the hub, easy to put up and take down, and gives us the extra space we were hoping for and just the right height that we can get the wind out awning to meet itView attachment 47496
Nice :thumb The Hub looks just as I imagined...because that’s what I’m having to do, as mine still hasn’t arrived :confused:

What is it like to pack away?

We have the Quechua version, but no groundsheet. We would Interested to know if the Cinch Hub groundsheet is sewn in or detachable, and if so is it available separately?