Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Clamps for pop up roof

H

HarolTZ

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello,

I have a T5 converted, with pop up roof. At the front of the roof, to keep close as it is a manual one it had two standard cargo straps. To make it faster and to help closing the roof tighter I came with the idea of closing of with some sort of clamps. After a lot of research, I’ve found these ones. They are designs to hold cameras and this kind of stuff but they do a really good job, I can notice a huge difference in noise while driving at 60/70 miles per hour.

I was just curious to know which solutions people had found to keep the roof close as tight as possible. Maybe straps were good enough and I was just too picky?

Just in case anyone else likes the idea, the clamps are from Amazon...of course :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076VG1ZWY/?tag=eliteelect-21

See you around,

Albert

IMG_20201026_083218.jpg

IMG_20201026_083235.jpg

That looks like a clever solution.

What would happen if an occupant of the seat was propelled violently upwards. (say rollover for instance).
Edit: maybe seat belt would restrain?

My concern would be the same as @Vagophile looks like a brain injury in the making

+1 for the California methinks.

Reactions: Sad
These things are all good info for those having or building conversions but for most of us here on this forum a useless adding as the electro/hydrolic roof closes perfect and safe and the Beach/Ocean roof has good manual straps .

Thanks for your concerns. I did not thought a brain injury would occur with them...but could be definitely a potential hazard, I though seat belt would prevent that and I believe if a rollover happen you will be pushed to the site not straight up, but it is definitely an option....

These things are all good info for those having or building conversions but for most of us here on this forum a useless adding as the electro/hydrolic roof closes perfect and safe and the Beach/Ocean roof has good manual straps .

Sorry to post useless information... I will wait until my membership expires and find a place where I am not talked like a second class "no california" owner... I was only asking for other options and people opinions, I can't find where I asked for the opinion of someone with a california electro/hydraulic/superfantastic roof....thanks for the reply, seeing that you are a moderator I assume your opinions are not far from the "club" opinions...

Sorry to post useless information... I will wait until my membership expires and find a place where I am not talked like a second class "no california" owner... I was only asking for other options and people opinions, I can't find where I asked for the opinion of someone with a california electro/hydraulic/superfantastic roof....thanks for the reply, seeing that you are a moderator I assume your opinions are not far from the "club" opinions...
Don’t let anyone on here bother you. Yes it’s a California Club, but as you know it’s bigger than that. Your post is more interesting than many from California owners asking for information that’s found in their user manual.

Don’t let anyone on here bother you. Yes it’s a California Club, but as you know it’s bigger than that. Your post is more interesting than many from California owners asking for information that’s found in their user manual.
I agree. Always useful to see other approaches and many of us have been/ may consider going back to conversions/vans made by other manufacturers. Personally I'd rather see a post such as this than yet another "I've ordered/ what do I need/ can someone tell me an answer that the search button would have given 4 different threads on a well worn topic"

I hope you stick around long after your membership is up.

You will always get that on forums I wouldn't take it personally, some of the responses were fair and giving the opinion you were asking for. But then you will always get peeps who just dispute or denigrate any one!
I have seem some good posts where people with conversions have got some great support.

Enjoy this

@HarolTZ , sure you have the right to post and ask fore people’s opinions , as much as i have the right to give my opinion regardless having a moderator badge . I have given my personal view on the clamps you have shown , this has nothing to do with the forum rules or your membership.

Thanks for your concerns. I did not thought a brain injury would occur with them...but could be definitely a potential hazard, I though seat belt would prevent that and I believe if a rollover happen you will be pushed to the site not straight up, but it is definitely an option....
our friends over on the T6forum might share their ideas with you. There are lots of conversations there.

Our past 3 vans (all +20 years old) all used straps similar to below; We never had any issues: