Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mattress not pulled forward and Roof not fully down.

Stuarty

Stuarty

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone with a bit of knowledge about the elevating roof would be able to reassure me a bit. I just picked my Cali up from the garage last night, and drove to the nearest petrol station to fill her up. Whilst I was doing this I noticed that the pop up roof was, although flush at the front, sitting up by about 10mm at the rear. I raised it up fully and found that the garage did not pull the upstairs mattress fully forward before closing the roof. I pulled it forward and the roof seems to close fine.

I was just wondering if this would have caused any lasting damage? Hopefully not!! :). The struts look OK and the roof doesn't look warped in any way.

Thanks in advance for anyones help. :)

In our early "Cali" days we had this happen - did not cause any issue the roof just squashed the mattress which sprung back up when released.
The roof mattress has velco on the bottom of it to stop it sliding back. If you have the plastic still over it the verco is covered and will not hold the mattress in situ. Just remove plastic or make a hole where the velcro is

If you're lucky you may have got away with it but it can cause the roof to crease. If you look along the black rubber seal on the roof towards the area that was sticking up if it's crease the roof you will see it there but the mattress is quite spongy so you may have got away with it :thumb

Thanks for the quick replies folks! I didn't know about the velcro on the mattress but will check that out. The plastic is still on the mattress.... just been using the downstairs bed... :)

It looked like it was evenly "held up" if that makes sense. So, the roof was in a straight line from front to back, but held up at the rear. How does the mechanism work do you know? If it's hydraulic, I was thinking that maybe the piston wouldn't have fully retracted (or extended) so should have been ok, but if it's mechanical (gears or something) I was worried that it may have been damaged.

Thanks again everyone!

I left my lads bed up there once and shut it. Had a gap all away around for ages until I realised water was getting in. Took it out and it’s now fine and no damage caused. I don’t store anything expect the original mattress up there now. There isn’t any room for anything else. It’s a tight fit.

No good points for you dealer there ...
It does need attention everytime you close the roof .
Do check your roof in the daylight for damage .

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone with a bit of knowledge about the elevating roof would be able to reassure me a bit. I just picked my Cali up from the garage last night, and drove to the nearest petrol station to fill her up. Whilst I was doing this I noticed that the pop up roof was, although flush at the front, sitting up by about 10mm at the rear. I raised it up fully and found that the garage did not pull the upstairs mattress fully forward before closing the roof. I pulled it forward and the roof seems to close fine.

I was just wondering if this would have caused any lasting damage? Hopefully not!! :). The struts look OK and the roof doesn't look warped in any way.

Thanks in advance for anyones help. :)
No, it'll be fine. Done that myself but only once.

Happened to me a couple of times a few years ago. No permanent damage, as long as you realise it quickly enough.