Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Damaged pop up roof seal

P

PAKlite

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
image.jpeg Washing the Cali roof for the first time since taking ownership in the Spring I found the rubber seal damaged on the front leading edge of the pop up roof. I have no idea how this kind of damage could happen, and it doesn't look like it's recent as the metal core is quite rusty - I have no recollection of doing anything that would cause this.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of damage, and has anyone any suggestions as to my best course of action - I assume it's not a warranty problem, and that a new seal won't be cheap. I haven't noticed any evidence of leakage, it only appears to be the top side that's damaged.

Seagulls? Been to a Safari Park?
I guess it would not be a warranty job as it is clearly damaged. I would suggest you buy a new seal and fit it yourself. At least you know it will have been fitted correctly then.

I would personally let the dealer take a look at it, you will have to go in to order a seal if not a warranty claim.

Ha ha, no Safari Park Jabberwocky, at least not in my ownership - guess there'd probably be a lot more missing or damaged in that case!

Ive just googled California T6 roof seal, and Just Kampers can supply one at £99.50 and 21 days delivery. I think perhaps a trip to the dealer to see what they have to say first. I do have the dreaded split seam in my awning (7.5cms at the moment), which I understand is a warranty issue?

Ha ha, no Safari Park Jabberwocky, at least not in my ownership - guess there'd probably be a lot more missing or damaged in that case!

Ive just googled California T6 roof seal, and Just Kampers can supply one at £99.50 and 21 days delivery. I think perhaps a trip to the dealer to see what they have to say first. I do have the dreaded split seam in my awning (7.5cms at the moment), which I understand is a warranty issue?
The split seam is a warranty issue and there should be no quibbles about sorting that out.
Me? I would book in for awning warranty work and ask them for comment on your roof seal at the same time. (Although I struggle to imagine what they will say other than its not a warranty issue.)
Hope all goes well.

Hi all,

An update on my damaged roof seal. I booked in for warranty issue with split awning material as suggested, and asked for the roof seal to be looked at at the same time.

This was back in August and the dealer booked my Cali in to replace the roof seal at the same time as the awning - both under warranty. The roof seal was replaced, but the new awning was damaged and couldn't be fitted at that time.

3 months later, and after much chasing, I finally got my new awning fitted yesterday. According to the dealer there have been a lot of warranty issues with these awnings (really, you don't say) There was another Cali owner in looking for a replacement back in August due to theft of said item! Many of the replacements apparently arrived damaged on delivery, and causing a backlog - hence the delay in my replacement being available for fitment.

Dealer also carried out recall at the same time for roof corrosion on my April 2016 model - and found corrosion to offside rear corner. Possible two year wait for repairs.....

Good result with the roof seal, helpfull dealer, I guess West Sussex, was it SMG!
I'll pass no comment about the awnings, over the fact that they keep splitting or replacements arrive damaged, really does make you despair. I've just realised that I have passed the comment!

By the way a great picture for showing the metal insert in the roof seal.

Not SMG no, Lookers VW, Peasemarsh near Guildford. It's the nearest to me, so I thought I'd try there first. Haven't formed an opinion just yet, this awning business caused me a little grief getting it sorted - I had to chase them!

Back