Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

cleaning Cali

Hello Fast Freddie,
I also use a pre wash snow foam but only when it is caked in grime and when the car is able to stay wet. I am sure that you are already aware but I have noticed that it can leave marks if it either drys on or isn't thoroughly rinsed off.
Also, because we live in a hard water area, I also do a finish rinse using filtered water. I filter it through a meter long inline filter. It leaves the van in a good state for toweling off. Less water marks and easy to get a spot free finish. The trouble with these filters is that they are expensive, degrade quickly if exposed to direct sunlight and don't last that long. It might sound rather fussy but calcium water marks can be difficult to shift especially on dark paint colours.
Couldn't agree more - I must look into filtration too :thumb

I was wondering when the “double bucket bore” would turn up ;)

I use the local east european gang in local garage
I once lent a car to my sister in law. They kindly left the local coastal shite hawks prolific guano deposits to case harden on the paint work for weeks. Just before they returned it to us they took it to the gang at our local Tescos. Judging by the job they did on it they had probably used a wire brush on the bird lime and a scouring pad on the rest of the paintwork. Whilst not entirely their fault, it was definately a one bucket job!

Last edited:
I once lent a car to my sister in law. They kindly left the local coastal shite hawks prolific guano deposits to case harden on the paint work for weeks. Just before they returned it to us they took it to the gang at our local Tescoes. Judging by the job they did on it they had probably used a wire brush on the bird lime and a scouring pad on the rest of the paintwork. Whilst not entirely their fault, it was definately a one bucket job!
Where i go it is rinsed, washed, waxed& dried ith chami leather, albeit pressure washers are used

Then you will love this … :cool:

This is priceless!

"Create a game plan for cleaning your car"..... "Really! oh goodness .... first....where's the tap?'

"Check for soot in the exhaust pipe"....... OMG! My DPF must be filthy! :shocked how do I wash it?

One bucket has about six brushes in it... is he cleaning a car or painting his house? :shocked

I must be a really dirty granny. I've never ever put soap in my wash mitt :sad

I've just lost the will to live :sad
I like my cleaning to be worthwhile but I got precisely 15 seconds into this video despite good intentions.

silly question....

but whats the best way to clean the Cali? I was thinking about getting the Karcher K7 or K5 power hose, and use all over (including roof, alloys etc).

besides cleaning it, should i wax/polish it? what with?

sorry I'm pretty clueless at this stuff

thanks
g
Don't get a consumer Karcher, they all have plastic pumps and as a consequence have a relatively short lifespan and are poor value for money, get a pressure washer with a metal pump, Nilfisk are one make, co-incidently I bought a cheap Nilfisk yesterday.

Where i go it is rinsed, washed, waxed& dried ith chami leather, albeit pressure washers are used
That's good. There must be some very good teams out there. However, there must also be some that aren't. Buyer beware!

I have sat in our local Sainsburys car park on many occasions waiting whilst Mrs B gets her weekly shopping fix. There is a team of car cleaning bods with trolleys that will clean your entire car with very little more than a micro fibre cloth and few litres of water from a tank on the trolley. They don't have either jet washing or hose facilities so I have watched them grinding all of the surface grit, grime and mud into the paint work of peoples lovely new cars before rinsing and drying. From a distance the results look ok but I would be amazed if they aren't doing quite a lot of micro damage.

To some people that might be good enough but for me at least, unless you are confident in their methods and results, why pay someone to damage your car.

Some car owners are a little too OCD for me. Keep the inside as clean as your house and keep the windows clean. You can't see the outside if your travelling.:thumb

It's easy to knock these professionals for being a bit OTT, but if that's your craft (and some of these guys get paid a heck of a lot of money for it) - I'd take my hat off to them.

One product that I'm glad came recommended is "Meguiars Gold Class Car Shampoo".

Sure, it's more expensive than fairy liquid - but a bottle lasts a long time. It's really concentrated and is the best product I've used. Halfords stock it.

besides cleaning it, should i wax/polish it? what with?

The other product that I've found (also recommended) is Collinite 476. It's a hard wax - easy to apply and doesn't leave a powdery residue when you buff it off. Once a year would probably be fine.

I've found that after applying Collinite washing seems to be a lot easier and less dirt sticks to the paint. (It might all be in the mind but the van doesn't seem to get as dirty and I don't need to wash it as often)

PS. I use one bucket and a sponge.

We even live our OCD when on holiday (this is in Potsdam, Berlin).

Just hate to get dirty every time I touch the car. And I think you touch your car a lot more while camping than, you would do with a normal car (the last we had was washed once a year).

I love the pressure washers in the south. Last year in Corse I found one with softened water. No towel drying and no water spots on the car!

Actually, we have a small spray bottle of Sonax window cleaner and insect remover in the car when on the road. But the washing is more of a basic nature. I only let the OCD come to its full when safely at home in the driveway.

IMG_4893.JPG

Last edited:
Plus 1
for meguiars Gold class

My Son is quite meticulous about car washing and polishing. He waxes mine before each winter.

My only problem is persuading him to pop round and do it :shocked He's normally quite busy every weekend .... except the ones when he needs a baby sitter :D

I think they are poles at our local car wash. I get it done twice a year whether it needs it or not.