Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Products used to clean exterior of your Cali?

Well i often rely on a good downpour. I use mine often and wash ever 3 months or so.
Are there any disadvantages to not cleaning more often?
Definitely, you should try and wash at least once a week. The reason being the road contains lots of salt (and other harmful pollutants) and you defo dont want salt near your vehicle, thats why you should never use washing up liquid over a car shampoo because washing up liquid actaully contains salts and when using car wash shampoo gets rid of salts!!.

Well i often rely on a good downpour. I use mine often and wash ever 3 months or so.
Hi Izzi,
From a mechanical aspect I doubt it, grime in and around anywhere you can clean will be more affected by driving in the rain.
From a paint condition aspect, eventually it is likely to suffer more than something thats been well protected. But I doubt it will be a huge problem if someone were to correct it years later on with some special love, care and know how. I think the days of light pink (originally red) panels is pretty much over.
The worst enemy will be bird droppings. Do try not to leave them on the paint too long. They come off much easier when not left for too long and some soaked toilet tissue left on the offending deposits for a few minutes will help lift it away nicely.

Been Washin cars for 20 years, never heard of that and now makes complete sense. thank you!!! Off to Halfords to get 2nd bucket
It makes even more sense if your vehicle is black!

ENJO car fibre - with tap water. I clean mine less than my neighbour with all his chemicals...

That's a good point. We live in a hard water area so tap water can leave horrible, difficult to shift calcium marks all over the vehicle even if towelled off. If it has darker paint then this is a right PITA. Black paint is an utter nightmare. So I usually hand wash ours only when it's raining which is about every two months or so.

The rest of the time I'll purely jet wash it at our local facility. This purpose built washing facility has a range of options all using filtered bore hole water and it leaves a brilliant finish. I never use thier brush though as that gets used on everything from mud covered off roaders to builders pickups.

Doing a proper hand wash so infrequently hasn't caused any issues in fact because I usually jet wash the salt, mud a grit off every week or two it has cut down the hand contact and therefore the potential for damage to be caused.

Its been amazing to see all the different methods people use to keep the calis tip top!! Some great hints as well! Thanks!!!!!!

If you travel Far & Fast then it will never get a chance to get dirty.:rolleyes:

Autoglym - look on ebay for the 'lifeshine' kit - people sell them off regularly and the packs are worth £75 and go for twenty something sometimes.

Hi Izzi,
From a mechanical aspect I doubt it, grime in and around anywhere you can clean will be more affected by driving in the rain.
From a paint condition aspect, eventually it is likely to suffer more than something thats been well protected. But I doubt it will be a huge problem if someone were to correct it years later on with some special love, care and know how. I think the days of light pink (originally red) panels is pretty much over.
The worst enemy will be bird droppings. Do try not to leave them on the paint too long. They come off much easier when not left for too long and some soaked toilet tissue left on the offending deposits for a few minutes will help lift it away nicely.

Thanks T. Yes i have had a problem with parakeets in London - thought it was safer to leave the van under a crab apple tree than a sycamore as they have very sticky leaves. Big mistake.
I also had to park at a campsite under some pine trees which left tacky marks all over. Wondering also how to get the stuff from the trees off without too much hassle. Have been putting it off due to lack of know-how and the best tools to use. Used to take my previous cars to car wash - now don't trust them for van.

Thanks T. Yes i have had a problem with parakeets in London - thought it was safer to leave the van under a crab apple tree than a sycamore as they have very sticky leaves. Big mistake.
I also had to park at a campsite under some pine trees which left tacky marks all over. Wondering also how to get the stuff from the trees off without too much hassle. Have been putting it off due to lack of know-how and the best tools to use. Used to take my previous cars to car wash - now don't trust them for van.
Hmmm, didn't think about tree sap.
Depends on how bad it is I suppose.
But I think you should remove it ASAP. The longer its on there the harder it will be.
Starting with a standard wash to see what comes off / what you are left with is a good start.
Here is some food for thought. particularly Isopropanol /Isopropyl

Thanks for that video - really useful. I will have a good go at it and also give my van the 'special love and care' it deserves from now on in.

Back