Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cleaning floor rails void

Grumposaur68

Grumposaur68

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Does anyone have ideas on how to clean in the void below the floor rails? Take the rails out maybe?

In the front of the rails there are openings you can make. Maybe you can use compressed air to blow the rails out from the rear to the front?
If the dirt is sticky, you might try to jam a small stick with a damp cloth through the rubber seals into the rails?

I know you can take the front and rear plastic caps off but never done it myself. I had the front and rear metal stoppers removed a couple of years ago by the garage.
I wanted to get the hoover in there because there will be a build up of sand, dirt, dust etc down there. Also wanted to grease the rails to make the forward/back movement of the bench seat easier.

I can ge
I know you can take the front and rear plastic caps off but never done it myself. I had the front and rear metal stoppers removed a couple of years ago by the garage.
I wanted to get the hoover in there because there will be a build up of sand, dirt, dust etc down there. Also wanted to grease the rails to make the forward/back movement of the bench seat easier.
I can get the thin nozzle of my Henry hoover down in the tracks through the rubber to get all the loose bits out. Then a bit of Mr Sheen on a cloth does the rest.

I had some success with a bottle brush pushing all the muck to the gap having removed the plastic caps.

A quick run along between the rubbers with the dyson does for me.
I would be very cautious about greasing the rails. So doing will attract dust and dirt making for more problems in the long run.

I would not grease the rails. All the dirt will start sticking, making blocking the movement of the seat.

Use the attachment for a Hoover as mentioned by @Louis II above.
Do Not grease the mechanism in the track. Doing so can result in the locking mechanism failing to work. The seat moves forward and backwards on wheels under the seat. The Locking mechanism is like an inverted T that passes through the slot and engages in slots on the underside of the rail slotted top. When you pull the handle up, the T is pushed down to disengage from the slot. The seat rolls forward on its wheels and when you let go of the leaver springs pull the T up to engage in a slot and lock the seat in position. Greasing the mechanism within the slot will allow dirt etc to accumulate and the locking mechanism fail to seat properly such that the seat could move under braking/acceleration.

Back