Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cleaning Rubber Roof Seals - Mould

DavidApp

DavidApp

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi, I've noticed while cleaning the roof that there is a small amount of mould developing around some of the rubbers. I've cleaned it out but was going to try a mould spray as well. Has anyone used any products they can recommend. My only concern is damaging the rubber seals. Thanks.

Talk powder....

Talcum Powder is what our Belgium friend means. I hope anyway.:thumb

Hi, I've noticed while cleaning the roof that there is a small amount of mould developing around some of the rubbers. I've cleaned it out but was going to try a mould spray as well. Has anyone used any products they can recommend. My only concern is damaging the rubber seals. Thanks.

Have you checked underneath the seal for corrosion/paint bubbling?

Have you checked underneath the seal for corrosion/paint bubbling?

Oh there's definitely corrosion at the front and it's booked in. This is more around the rubber seal on all sides of the roof. Not loads, just the odd green mark here and there.

Autoglym do a proper Rubber and vinyl cleaner which I have used on window rubbers before to remove green algae that has built up. This should be safe for the roof rubber.

I have been using Autoglym Rubber and vinyl spray and I must say it certainly leaves the rubber looking nice. It feels soft and silky and is recommended for stopping the rubbers sticking in winter. I'm not sure how it would perform on heavy mold though?

I would use an old toothbrush and just work at it a bit at a time. Keep wiping the muck away and then a final go over once it is clean.

I have been using Autoglym Rubber and vinyl spray and I must say it certainly leaves the rubber looking nice. It feels soft and silky and is recommended for stopping the rubbers sticking in winter. I'm not sure how it would perform on heavy mold though?

Thanks, it's not heavy mould, just a pin-thin line of algae where the rubber meets the roof paintwork.

Autoglym do a proper Rubber and vinyl cleaner which I have used on window rubbers before to remove green algae that has built up. This should be safe for the roof rubber.

And there was me thinking I'd found a use for all the Christmas talc powder. Will give it a try, I think I have used that before.