Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cleaning the plastic floor

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Any hints for this? The floor will obviously get mucky - we have two young kids and a dog and while we take steps to protect the boot (the dog has a waterproof bed, we lay down towels, etc) the middle section does tend to get mucky. Sand isn't an issue - it vacuums out easily but mud/the odd spillage is more annoying. Been using a MF towel with simple soapy water and it's fairly effective but doesn't quite get everything out of the tiny patterns on the plastic. Any top tips? We keep a little dustpan and brush which gets plenty of use but won't shift grime.

Considered mats but I think with the amount we move out seats back and forth, they'd just get in the way. And they'd get damp! We have a Megavan mat in the front to keep the light grey carpet tidy - this works well.

KernowLad said:
Sand isn't an issue
Be very careful with sand getting into the seat runners KernowLad as a friend of mine who surfs a lot had expensive problems with his Bongo when sand got into the seat running gear :evil:

Chris

california180 said:
KernowLad said:
Sand isn't an issue
Be very careful with sand getting into the seat runners KernowLad as a friend of mine who surfs a lot had expensive problems with his Bongo when sand got into the seat running gear :evil:

Chris

Indeed sand is definitely not ideal but it's impossible for us to completely avoid! My pretty powerful car vacuum seems to clean out the runners pretty well though - I'm pretty geeky about anything that moves and has sand catching potential!

I spray some silicone spray on the rubber strips on the runners every now and then
After I have cleaned them of course. :thumb

His problems came from sand going through the slots in the rails.....I think he now puts tape over the slots!

Chris

california180 said:
His problems came from sand going through the slots in the rails.....I think he now puts tape over the slots!

Chris

I've got a skinny hose attachment that gets into the rails - works well. I also spray them too.

The joys of having a wee fleck of cleaning OCD!

KernowLad said:
Any hints for this? The floor will obviously get mucky - we have two young kids and a dog and while we take steps to protect the boot (the dog has a waterproof bed, we lay down towels, etc) the middle section does tend to get mucky. Sand isn't an issue - it vacuums out easily but mud/the odd spillage is more annoying. Been using a MF towel with simple soapy water and it's fairly effective but doesn't quite get everything out of the tiny patterns on the plastic. Any top tips? We keep a little dustpan and brush which gets plenty of use but won't shift grime.

Considered mats but I think with the amount we move out seats back and forth, they'd just get in the way. And they'd get damp! We have a Megavan mat in the front to keep the light grey carpet tidy - this works well.

Must admit that i use a sponge and soapy water and find it cleans up pretty well - good enough for me anyway.

Freeley said:
KernowLad said:

Must admit that i use a sponge and soapy water and find it cleans up pretty well - good enough for me anyway.

Actually after letting it dry out, it did look pretty good. Maybe I should turn the OCD down a wee bit... :oops:

I use a boot liner on the main floor. Works a treat. Think it is a universal one from halfords. Was left over having traded in the Touran against the Cali.

i use a turtle mat which covers most of the area .... washes easily and drys ok. Kernowlad ... if you had two turtle mats and rotated.
I think it would save a lot of work with your family. I know i sound like an ad for turtle mats but they are better than cheaper stuff. Mat cost £60
They soak up everything and fold easily in front of seat when you move it. covers tracks as well

malc said:
i use a turtle mat which covers most of the area .... washes easily and drys ok. Kernowlad ... if you had two turtle mats and rotated.
I think it would save a lot of work with your family. I know i sound like an ad for turtle mats but they are better than cheaper stuff. Mat cost £60
They soak up everything and fold easily in front of seat when you move it. covers tracks as well

Any specific one? Had a look at the website not sure which would fit!

100 by 75 .. it is the large one. There is a great choice of colours etc. It does not move around the floor with use.
I bought the grey and fits in with my dirty boots. Bro10 warned me before I bought my van and so glad he did as he had exactly the same problem as you and he is house trained! As Clarkson would say '"some people say he is normal but the last I heard he was looking for somewhere to go sequence dancing"

I just had a thought and called Mr Turtle. They are emailing me a price for having a tailor made turtle mat to fit the whole area. Malc

Make sure Mr Turtle doesn`t use his distant cousin and send it snail mail.

I have just heard from Mr Turtle ... made to measure is not viable unless an order of 100 mats is made. i expected such
a reply but you never know.

Cheers all! Will see how I get on with the fitted mats!

I find vet matting very good at trapping sand particles, mud and dirt, especially if you actually have a dog, and it's extremely easy to clean, you just take it out and shake it, and miraculously all the dirt and long dogs hares come out, and also the dirt doesn't migrate to other areas of the van, like thinner mats do.
 And is more comfortable on your feet as a bonus.
Grey seems a good choice for the van, in my opinion.

http://www.thedoginn.com/acatalog/profleece.html