Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Give this man a medal please...

Nice accent ain't :D

It is a nice accent, is he Polish? :shocked:kiss

Last edited by a moderator:
Salute to him, great job.

I often pick up litter when I am out and about. I even did a short series of images albeit on a phone where I shot litter in beautiful places to try and show how sad it is that people are so thoughtless, I of course cleaned it up after. Example attached.

I always try to leave no trace other than my footprints.

12818977_1704638139813921_999534933_n.jpg

We are a filthy species and I hate to say it but when I come home from trips overseas I realise the Brits would make good Olympic gold candidates for being filthy as well as cycling.

When I lived in my rural idyll I got throughly fed up cleaning plastic out of the mouths of cows and sheep and picking up dead birds with beaks bound tight with bits of old plastic bag bindings.

This man deserves a medal and so does everyone, including Matt, who shoves it in peoples faces to demonstrate just what a filthy, uncaring species we are spoiling the planet not just for us but for all the other species that have been around for a lot longer than we have.

Sorry, you both have hit a nerve. Keep it up, shove it in faces, or as I did once pick up dog poo and shove it into the owners bag as she was walking along.

Classic case I once watched, from my HGV, was a woman changing the babies nappy and when she finished down came the window & out shot the used nappy!

Always feel embarrassed when leaving the Ferry Port in UK & seeing the litter. Especially when the verges are being cut.

It is a real bugbear of mine, any motorway or dual carriageway is strewn with rubbish these days. Cigarette buts everywhere, rubbish dropped where people are finished with it. I have reported fly tipping just this morning sadly, local "rubbish removal" trader today it was 2 mattresses . On top of an old sofa last week.

My local park has rubbish dropped daily and the council removed all the bins to save money. Very disappoint in my country of birth the last few years. We have a chipshop nearby, when people have had enough they just drop the whole lot on the ground, paper food the lot. Our dogs like it.

In fact I was walking with my 5 year old nephew in a location I played as a child, and i came across a shocking sight. My nephew quite innocently said "Why do they throw it there, and not in a bin uncle Matt?" I asked what he thought, he couldn't understand. I said I think they just don't think about anyone else and don't care that they are spoiling it for other people. He really couldn't understand it.

Last edited:
4dc10b9c766b36aa517ab099f2d05af9.jpg

This is it, spotless when I was a kid and we played there all the time. Kids couldn't play there now.

Pushchairs and trolleys in there too and this is several miles from a supermarket.

I think it's 1 a sign of how much packaging we use and 2) that a common modern mindset is "me first, let someone else do it and stuff everyone else".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4dc10b9c766b36aa517ab099f2d05af9.jpg

This is it, spotless when I was a kid and we played there all the time. Kids couldn't play there now.

Pushchairs and trolleys in there too and this is several miles from a supermarket.

I think it's 1 a sign of how much packaging we use and 2) that a common modern mindset is "me first, let someone else do it and stuff everyone else".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt, I just want to say that I think your photo's are beautiful and really contrast the desecration with rubbish of natural beauty and open spaces.

Doubtless many of us will seen on news this week that wild camping is now banned in some areas around Loch Lomond, due to littering and damage by a minority.

I wonder if in 20 years we'll be able to park up our vans anywhere at all outside an official site, or will the thoughtlessness of a few have ruined it for all.

By the way I'm not forgetting the visual impact of our vans themselves in beauty spots.... we may not be 'Great Whites' blotting the landscape, but we are in our smaller ways part of the problem whenever we park up inconsiderately.

(And don't get me started on bright orange tents :headbang :D).

and why do people pick up their dog poo put in a bag only to throw it up a tree or bush, (and it is not because they are going to pick it up on the way back)
I will not go into fly tipping which is epidemic in many area's

(And don't get me started on bright orange tents :headbang :D).

Now, I was one of the first to have a bright orange tent. Up until then everything was beige, beige tents, beige anoraks, brown boots, beige or grey moleskin breeches or trousers ..... outdoor wear could not have been better designed to conceal the lost and injured from the rescue services, especially the Mountain Rescue which was my own thing.

Then Blacks ventile cotton got replaced by technical fibres used by companies such as Berghaus and coloured bright "be seen for miles" clothing became available. Above all, my little one-woman mountain tent also suddenly came in Bright orange and could also be seen amongst the greys, black, browns and greens of mountain landscape and, even better, against the white of snow. Even climbing ropes went from off-white cable-laid to brightly coloured kernmantel.

So horses for courses, if one wants to go into isolated, back country, hazardous terrain it is a sensible precaution to be able to be found as easily as possible, however not quite the thing for pitching en-masse in a full facility national park campsite :D

So horses for courses, if one wants to go into isolated, back country, hazardous terrain it is a sensible precaution to be able to be found as easily as possible, however not quite the thing for pitching en-masse in a full facility national park campsite :D

Well yes. Perfectly sensible on the Annapurna circuit but really an unnecessary lurid nylon eyesore when plonked an a hillock a half-mile off the Pennine Way (well okay, I know the MR folks also have to hunt down us grockles in this country too when it starts raining and we're up on the hill in our jeans and trainers).

In the UK, as visitor densities to the uplands gradually increases I'd wonder if visual intrusion is going to become more of an issue over time.

On campsites I don't personally much care, they look ugly anyway (except when you're heading back towards them after a long wet walk on the hill). :rolleyes:

Well yes. Perfectly sensible on the Annapurna circuit but really an unnecessary lurid nylon eyesore when plonked an a hillock a half-mile off the Pennine Way (well okay, I know the MR folks also have to hunt down us grockles in this country too when it starts raining and we're up on the hill in our jeans and trainers).

Annapurna has nothing to do with it, and yes, I am familiar with Annapurna.

Going back to "my day", when I was one of those people that used to haul an "equivalent to body weight" pack over the fells and mountains, people who dressed to be anonymous were the pariah's. Anyone can have an accident, my worst was someone who fell off a popular walkers footpath close to the new dungeon ghyll in Langdale and it took us ages, and me personally a lot of dangerous steps, to locate him, perfectly camouflaged as he was.

Sometimes those out in the foul weather, freezing cold, gale force winds, driving rain, low fog, need a bit of help. Terribly sorry, when that klaxon went off and all who were nearby went in any weather not knowing who we were looking for, all I prayed for was for "F's sake, make yourself visible, don't risk my life"

Okay fair point. When I was in the Army we mislaid a couple of guys several hours on Dartmoor in filthy weather, it was pure fluke we found them stumbling about. These days though I see they all wear hi-vis panels on their gear at least for training.

[EDIT] But I still hate yellow tents.... :D :D :Iamsorry :offtopic :thanks :mute

Sea pollution was really brought home when watching a documentary about Whales in the Pacific.
The commentator highlighted the problem was so bad in relation to pollution that dead Whales are categorised as Toxic Waste and have to be treated as such when washed up on a beach.

Apparently monitoring of Whales off Australia is showing similar results.

I get a sense of growing admiration for how Nomadic People lived and respected the environment. We used to regard THEM as ignorant. I'll say no more.