Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Clicking noise

IanE

IanE

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Isn't the heater great!

We do have a small issue though - most of the time, when the heater is on, it makes a clicking noise that can be heard outside the van. It's not very loud, but it is a bit annoying and on a quiet campsite, it could disturb others.

I did raise it with the VW Van Centre at Preston and was told that it's normal - I just wondered if it was a common issue and whether anyone has had the problem and had it cured?

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian, unfortunately it is totally normal, the clicking is sound is the fuel pump. We used to have the same heating system in our motorhome but because a motorhome is much bigger they normally place the pump further away from the sleeping area but in a Cali this is not possible. I think it would only annoy neighbours on a campsite if they are in a tent next door.

Drat!

Thanks for the prompt response Martin - much as I feared. At least you've confirmed our heater isn't faulty.

Ian

We have suffered from the same issue but it is not to much of a problem becuase we use a fan heater powered from the hookup. However I did check out the german forums and found out that you can decouple the pump from the chassis using a rubber mount. You can still hear the clicking or ticking outside the van but is virtually inaudible inside. I don't have details on this part but was planning to look underneath our Cali at the next service to checkout the position of the pump etc

I have wondered about the aux heater also although havent yet tried ours. Previous vehicles that have come with one have been slighty noisy... bit like a jet engine whining in the distance.

Hi Ian yes is perfectly normal.

Our neighbours can't here ours over the noise of the beeping electric sliding door so no problem for us!

Freeley said:
Our neighbours can't here ours over the noise of the beeping electric sliding door so no problem for us!
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Had our heater on all night both nights over the weekend and it does take a little getting used to - there's the clicking noise, the build up of whooshing air, then it all calms down and is quiet for a while.

Works a treat though - got down to 5 degrees on Friday night but we were all toasty warm. Our mates in the tent nearby weren't though. We gave them many consolation coffees in the morning to alleviate our smugness/guilt!!

Hi my cali t5 was bought in 2012. The heater is powerful and surprisingly economic. I find it too noisy, though. In my van the clicking is actually a ticking which can be heard inside the van all night through. It somegimes takes my sleep away. Difficult to get used to it like to an old clock, since it turns on and off, gets faster and slower all the time. Is that normal or should I get it repaired as long as there is warranty?

Perfectly normal Alex.

To be honest, we never have the heating on all night even in sub-zero temperatures (and we've done quite a few nights below freezing). Just in the evening and set to come on in the morning as we are due to wake up.

Good quilt/bedding and we're all warm and toasty.

Rgds
Mark

Flyingalex said:
Hi my cali t5 was bought in 2012. The heater is powerful and surprisingly economic. I find it too noisy, though. In my van the clicking is actually a ticking which can be heard inside the van all night through. It somegimes takes my sleep away. Difficult to get used to it like to an old clock, since it turns on and off, gets faster and slower all the time. Is that normal or should I get it repaired as long as there is warranty?

We've only used the heating to warm up after being out and about (eg cycling in the Scottish rain), or to take the chill off while having dinner. The Down sleeping bags and welsh blanket deal with the warmth issue at night!

Thanks for answering so quickly. At least I know there's nothing wrong. I am used to low temperatures, in my tent on Mt. Blanc there is no heating anyway. My wife and kids though are less sporty :D
Good journeys!
Alex

Back