Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Climatic heating

Brianc26

Brianc26

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
hi my se Cali has the climatronic heating. The problem I have is always seems to give out cold air apart from when it's on hi. Anyone else got or had this issue.

Last edited:
Sorry it's climatronic !

Temperature sensor malfunction?

Or I wonder if it needs resetting, this would be a job for the dealer of someone with the VAGCOM cable and software ... I think someone on here has it, maybe they could check the codes for the climate control.

It was ok yesterday afternoon but in the morning it was really cold !
I have a 6 month warranty with the van so I will see how it behaves or I'll ask them to have a look at it

I've noticed that it takes quite some time to heat up the van, even when set at 23 degrees. It does warm up eventually though - maybe that's normal.

Diesel engines are very slow to warm up. That is why the T5 has an auxiliary heater that kicks in automatically below 5c to speed up the engine getting to temperature. Until the engine gets to operating temperature - coolant about 90c - then the circulation of coolant is confined to engine only, then internal heater matrix, if set to heat, and finally the radiator. With the auxiliary heater this is speeded up.
An engine at operating temperature is more efficient and so the sooner it gets there the better all round.

Petrol engines produce more heat so warm quicker.

Quick update, it was the water pump that was faulty. New one fitted and cam belt replaced at the same time

Update no2 we got the van back after getting the water pump/timing belt replaced and the issue had not changed ! Phoned vw and they picked the Cali up and have had it for over 2 weeks. They couldn't find the problem but did know there was ones ! They have now stripped the full heating system down and replaced 2 sensors and tell me everything is ok now.
I'll find out on Thursday once it's back