Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Clutch slave cylinder gone at 52k miles.

Slioch

Slioch

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
My daughter had a loan of my California recently and had the bad luck/misfortune of having the clutch fail. Expensive repair as stated elsewhere on this forum the slave cylinder is inside the gearbox bell housing. The clutch was replaced at the same time as the slave cylinder but they deemed the dual mass flywheel was showing little wear so wasn’t changed...phew!

Seemingly, it is no longer politically correct to speak of slaves and masters. What other terms should we use for these hydraulic components? ;)

Seemingly, it is no longer politically correct to speak of slaves and masters. What other terms should we use for these hydraulic components? ;)
Father and child cylinder?

PS: OP, apologies, we don't have much to add to your post, though your post sounds like the slave cylinder was replaced along with the clutch. Has it failed a second time? When was it replaced first time?

PS: OP, apologies, we don't have much to add to your post, though your post sounds like the slave cylinder was replaced along with the clutch. Has it failed a second time? When was it replaced first time?
Parent and child, surely?

The ‘child’ cylinder was replaced along with the clutch at 52k miles. This is the only time this has happened. P.S. what an excellent resource this forum is.

My daughter had a loan of my California recently and had the bad luck/misfortune of having the clutch fail. Expensive repair as stated elsewhere on this forum the slave cylinder is inside the gearbox bell housing. The clutch was replaced at the same time as the slave cylinder but they deemed the dual mass flywheel was showing little wear so wasn’t changed...phew!
I thought they nearly always advised to change the DMF in circumstances like this as it is all on the garage floor so to speak?

I have just had my ‘child’ fail at @95,000 miles and 6 1/2 years. Entirely motorway miles for the first 75000 miles.
I went with a new clutch and DMF as well. DMF looked ok but noticeably smoother on pulling away now so glad I did it.
Very irritating that such a usually cheap individual part incurs such a huge bill though. Never had to change a clutch in any car I have owned before and normally run them to 150k miles at least.

Forget all this PC rubbish - in automotive terms from Wikipedia...

"In automotive engineering, the master cylinder is a control device that converts force (commonly from a driver's foot) into hydraulic pressure. This device controls slave cylinders located at the other end of the hydraulic system.

As piston(s) move along the bore of the master cylinder, this movement is transferred through the hydraulic fluid, to result in a movement of the slave cylinder(s). The hydraulic pressure created by moving a piston (inside the bore of the master cylinder) toward the slave cylinder(s) compresses the fluid evenly, but by varying the comparative surface area of the master cylinder and each slave cylinder, one can vary the amount of force and displacement applied to each slave cylinder, relative to the amount of force and displacement applied to the master cylinder."

Forget all this PC rubbish - in automotive terms from Wikipedia...

"In automotive engineering, the master cylinder is a control device that converts force (commonly from a driver's foot) into hydraulic pressure. This device controls slave cylinders located at the other end of the hydraulic system.

As piston(s) move along the bore of the master cylinder, this movement is transferred through the hydraulic fluid, to result in a movement of the slave cylinder(s). The hydraulic pressure created by moving a piston (inside the bore of the master cylinder) toward the slave cylinder(s) compresses the fluid evenly, but by varying the comparative surface area of the master cylinder and each slave cylinder, one can vary the amount of force and displacement applied to each slave cylinder, relative to the amount of force and displacement applied to the master cylinder."
I understand the physics, it’s the terminology that is outdated and not acceptable in a ‘politically correct’ world. Rightly so.

I understand the physics, it’s the terminology that is outdated and not acceptable in a ‘politically correct’ world. Rightly so.
Surely in this context the terminology is correct.

Are you going to tell me next that I have to free my subservient clutch actuator from its residing place in the bell housing as it’s working conditions are inexcusably harsh?

Surely in this context the terminology is correct.

Are you going to tell me next that I have to free my subservient clutch actuator from its residing place in the bell housing as it’s working conditions are inexcusably harsh?
No. You just can’t call it a slave.

Come on, how hard can it be to embrace the zeitgeist?

I feel they could make a film out of this:
52k miles a slave

I think master is OK. Years ago I suggested in a letter to the university newspaper that the old traditions of the university in awarding Master and Batchelor degrees should move forward with the times. Spinster and Mistress was my suggestion for female graduands.

My suggestion was not well received. So I think “master” is OK.

“Slave” on the other hand is not OK. Enslaved apparently is.