Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cold Air Conditioning

Gavrobb

Gavrobb

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Ok - so a month ago I was mentioning the heated seats didn't seem so hot and here I am...

First warm day here in the North East and I'm not convinced the AC on our new Ocean is working - 18C/20C outside and, full blast, I'm not convinced the vents were kicking out air with anything like the bite of an air conditioned air supply - arguably nothing cooler than the ambient temp outside and certainly not enough to make the van comfortable inside with the elevated indoor temps in the cabin. Windows needed to be down.

It's booked in for a check up later this week combined with a couple other things (Air bag recall?) including the elusive City Assist which I've only see work once..

Anybody else questioning or had issues with AC.. ? Off to the Pyrenees in a few weeks and this would be an issue...

Mine works but it's nowhere near as cold as my previous car (12 year old Subaru!)

Mine works but it's nowhere near as cold as my previous car (12 year old Subaru!)
Maybe it will seem colder when your van actually arrives! ;)

(You are still displaying as T6 on order)

What kind of Air Conditioning do you have, Climatronic or standard?

Not all the dash vents put out Chilled air so I gather.

T6 Ocean is all the same AC (Climatronic is standard) Not heard that one before about the non AC Vents...

It's big interior space to be under Air Conditioned (especially vs an old Subaru!) Cant imagine its not been commented on before if this luke warm air is standard?

T6 Ocean is all the same AC (Climatronic is standard) Not heard that one before about the non AC Vents...

It's big interior space to be under Air Conditioned (especially vs an old Subaru!) Cant imagine its not been commented on before if this luke warm air is standard?
And you had the rear Air Con on as well?

I got it slightly wrong. On Non-AC the Central Vents are fresh air only and the Dashboard Side Vents are heated. On Air-Con vehicles all vents are heated or cooled.

On the Climatronic system air is produced at the set temperature with the fan speed varying depending on the internal vehicle temperature and if very warm in the vehicle then the system automatically goes into re-circulation mode until the required temperature is reached. You shouldn't get super cold air from any vent only air at the set temperature R, L and Rear.

'LO' Setting should be 'super' cold air - i.e. colder than ambient..
Should be. Unless there is a faulty temperature sensor.

Good point - seems to sense the other way (heating on cold days...) so think its the AC itself. Will report back - digital thermometer packed for tomorrows heat wave...

I'll follow up - came up today when they checked me in for the first time at the local dealership - I think Aberdeen dealers are being extremely pro-active given the oil down turn. Very nice change !

Passenger door recall I think he said - I'll follow up when its done.

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
I'll follow up - came up today when they checked me in for the first time at the local dealership - I think Aberdeen dealers are being extremely pro-active given the oil down turn. Very nice change !

Passenger door recall I think he said - I'll follow up when its done.
Thanks - I checked mine in in Leicester today and nothing was mentioned. I've got to call them tomorrow to make make sure they are covering the paintwork damage caused by a faulty wiper so I'll ask them as well.

Hi,

Yes, a number of T6 vans are being recalled due to the front passenger air bag having a fault that might cause injury when deployed. I don't think it is all vans just those fitted with a faulty batch. I only know as our van went in to have a new Side Scan control unit fitted, the original one didn't work from day 1. The garage also identified that there was insufficient gas in the AC unit, no leak found but maybe another indication that VW still need to improve their quality control! I think someone else has posted something about AC being ineffective.

They have also hopefully fixed a number of other minor issues (on top of the faulty 12v socket behind passenger seat previously fixed) including putting black rubber cushions back into parcel shelf, refitting plastic enclosure for parcel shelf (driver's side) and adjusting awning so it opens without having to tug it by hand on drivers end!

Other than that it is all great news and fantastic fun - over 4000 miles with a month in France and shorter trips to Dorset, Devon and the Gower! When I have picked up the van (Winni) tomorrow (after a week in the garage!) and assessed the work I will post a more detailed review of this tremendously capable machine and our views so far which despite a few teething problems are all extremely positive.

Looking forward to getting away again!

All the best and once again a very big thank you to all for the advice gleaned thus far. May have sufficient experience now to feed a few things back?! From time to time anyway!

Gavin

Hi DM,

Our garage is Leicester, who seem quite proactive, so if nothing mentioned then hopefully nothing to worry about. Our recall was flagged up on their systems.

Gavin

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
To close this one out - picked up Van this week from our local dealer - fantastic service. Schraeder valve was leaking on the AC fill up so no Freon left. System topped up and now running ice cold. Thanks for the advice and one to watch out for - as Gavin UB says above - some QC issues!

Back