Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Comfort Insurance - the 48 hour rule clarification

R

Rob_Crowe

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi All,
In researching various insurance options for our 2015 Cali SE, I read with interest the concerns of many on this forum regarding the 48 hour clause in the T&Cs of Comfort insurance.
Having phoned around several Insurance companies, the quote from Comfort was competitive so I spoke with them at length today seeking assurance and clarification.

I wanted to be sure what happens if the van is parked unattended for more than 48 hours at an Airport carpark whilst we jet off for some sunshine.
They have confirmed that a secure UK airport car park is ok and therefore the 48 hour rule does not apply, although they did say that Meet and Greet or Valet services must not be used as the keys must remain in my possession at all times.

Equally, leaving the Cali at home on the drive unattended over 48 hours is also ok because this would be our notified 'storage location'.

The 48 rule seems to exist to avoid people leaving their vehicles unattended for more than 2 days on campsites or in unsecure car parks.

I was satisfied with the answer and it has put my mind at rest. I appreciate everyone has different circumstances to consider and so Comfort insurance may not be right for all. Always check the small print of whichever policy you are going for.

I also contacted them a while back to check that if we stopped at a hotel for more than two days, we were covered. It seems as we would be on the site where the van was, this did not count as unattended. Previously I thought we would have to stay two nights and then move on.

Another satisfied comfort customer here. The main thing is to treat that clause as a warning flag. If you are going to do anything unusual then ring them. I have found their service to be first class and a quick phone call saving a lot of concern.

I spoke to them about parking the van at an airport, they said its not a problem

Why do they not just remove this confusing clause, it drives business elsewhere.

I am intending to use the Van to travel to a ski resort. It will be parked in a car park outside the apartment block whilst we are there. Possibly not moved for a week - especially if we are snowed in. Has anyone clarified this example with Comfort?

‘A secure car park is ok’ WTF!? There is no such thing. To elaborate... It’s ok to leave your van (for 48 hours) somewhere where it won’t be stolen. But if it is stolen, don’t come to us because, by definition, the place you left it was not secure.

Last edited:
Trying to get through to them now. I’ll let you know. May have to be looking for an alternative as a matter of urgency .

Somewhat worryingly - I am getting a recorded message from comfort saying their offices are closed (9:10) despite their website saying they open at 8:30 on a Thursday !!!

Why do they not just remove this confusing clause, it drives business elsewhere.
It drove me elsewhere. I ended up with VW. They don't care were you park it or for how long.

‘A secure car park is ok’ WTF!? There is no such thing. To elaborate... It’s ok to leave your van (for 48 hours) somewhere where it won’t be stolen. But if it is stolen, don’t come to us because, by definition, the place you left it was not secure.
I got through to Comfort eventually. I explained exactly what we are doing. The agent advised that this is OK as long as the van is parked in the resort that we are staying in and that it is not left unattended for more than 48 hours at a time. She confirmed that we do not need to move it - just verify that it is OK. She checked with a supervisor who also confirmed that. She is also adding a note to my account confirming that I called and that they have confirmed that what I am doing is ok.
Bit of a pain to have to check-in with them on this but I am reassured.
I think I will also take time-stamped photos each time I check it just to be on the safe side.

Great. Let’s hope you don’t break a leg on the slopes and have to spend more than 48 hours in hospital away from the van.

It drove me elsewhere. I ended up with VW. They don't care were you park it or for how long.

I'm with Comfort and due for a renewal in the New Year so thought I'd get a quote from VW. Their car insurance website doesn't recongnise my T6 Cali, their commercial vehicle website specifically excludes it. When I rang them they were unable to tell me if they could offer cover for a California!

I'm with Comfort and due for a renewal in the New Year so thought I'd get a quote from VW. Their car insurance website doesn't recongnise my T6 Cali, their commercial vehicle website specifically excludes it. When I rang them they were unable to tell me if they could offer cover for a California!
When I collected our new Beach in October I took advantage of VW's free five day fully comp insurance offer. Whilst organising that I was offered and given a quote on insurance for the year. So I can assure you that they do cover the California.

I wonder why you think they don't care where you park it and for how long. Perhaps because there is no specific condition or exclusion? Just because you have a policy it does not follow that you can do what you like. There will be an expectation that you take reasonable care to avoid loss or damage. Quite what is reasonable care may ultimately be up to a court to decide. But if you leave it on the beach overnight with the tide coming in I think that the VW Claims Dept may start to care even if your policy does not have a beach parking exclusion.

I wonder why you think they don't care where you park it and for how long. Perhaps because there is no specific condition or exclusion? Just because you have a policy it does not follow that you can do what you like. There will be an expectation that you take reasonable care to avoid loss or damage. Quite what is reasonable care may ultimately be up to a court to decide. But if you leave it on the beach overnight with the tide coming in I think that the VW Claims Dept may start to care even if your policy does not have a beach parking exclusion.
Quite so. However, I would have thought that your point is a fairly obvious one, even to your feckless numpty with the water logged Cali.

Also every single motor insurance policy comes with a whole raft of Ts and Cs detailing their "expectation that you take reasonable care to avoid loss or damage".

When it came to insuring our new van I made a specific point of asking each insurer about this matter. Having now owned three Calis I am well aware of this often quoted condition. Every year I leave our seven seater Beach at the official airport long stay secure parking facilities. So this type of restriction has, at least for the last few years, been a potential issue for me. It's also been raised on this forum before. If I am not taking reasonable care by leaving it in official airport secure parking and keeping the keys then so are many thousands of other owners.

Last edited:
Quite so. However, I would have thought that your point is a fairly obvious one, even to your feckless numpty with the water logged Cali.

Also every single motor insurance policy comes with a whole raft of Ts and Cs detailing their "expectation that you take reasonable care to avoid loss or damage".

When it came to insuring our new van I made a specific point of asking each insurer about this matter. Having now owned three Calis I am well aware of this often quoted condition. Every year I leave our seven seater Beach at the official airport long stay secure parking facilities. So this type of restriction has, at least for the last few years, been a potential issue for me. It's also been raised in this forum before. If I am not taking reasonable care by leaving it in official airport secure parking and keeping the keys then so are many thousands of other owners.
Yes I do agree that the point I made is fairly obvious. I thought it necessary to make it as you had said "they don't care where you park it" and I didn't realise that you were joking. I was hoping to stop others being misled.

Yes I do agree that the point I made is fairly obvious. I thought it necessary to make it as you had said "they don't care where you park it" and I didn't realise that you were joking. I was hoping to stop others being misled.
I think if someone is prepared to scrape together the, not inconsiderable, finance required to purchase and they are so easily “ misled “ then more fool them.
Personally. I do not see why Comfort has this condition. Other companies do not and I‘m certainly not phoning some Insurance company up to check that this or that car park is safe, thus divulging my location to a stranger who has access to my home address etc. Who knows what they could do with that information.