Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaving your Cali at the airport

We're off for some sun shortly and have booked to park in the official secure airport parking at Gatwick. It cost just under £100 for a week. That's fine with me as I keep the keys and it's more secure. It's also very convenient being right next to the South Terminal. I insure with Devitt Insurance via the Caravan and Motorhome Club and they don't have any issues with our Cali being left there for a week.

Actually, I am more concerned about my paint work. The last time I used this car park it was nearly full. So I had to leave the car in one of the only remaining places, which happened to be directly under the flight path for landing aircraft. As this carpark is located just outside of the airport boundary, the landing planes are very very low as they pass over the carpark. After returning from that trip I found that the entire car had a surface texture like course sand paper. This gritty finish was fixed fast to the paintwork and windows and took hours of elbow grease and product to restore back to normal. I don't know for sure but I suspect that the cause was a weeks worth of two and four engined heavy jets crop dusting the carpark with their particulate exhaust emissions and probably some unburnt or partially burnt fuel to act as a mild solvent? There was no long term damage done but it did cause me a lot of hard work to get the paint work back to normal.

Anyone else had experience of this issue?