Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pucer, Cali wrap or Comfortz topper?

As the kids get older we find that we are using a roof box much more frequently, which means we were using the Cali topper much less. Picked up a 2nd hand van shades wrap off the bay and have found it to be excellent; a proper test in the lakes over the Oct half term passed with flying colours. Warm, waterproof, quick drying, no flapping, would now recommmend the wrap route every time.

I've been reading through all of the replies and comments on this thread and also on other threads in the forum relating to Pucer vs Toppers.
It sounds like most people who have first hand experience of the Pucer recommend them, advising they keep the canvas dry, easy to fit, small to store and don't cause a lot of extra noise when it's windy.
There are plenty of members who also recommend the topper style covers. There is a difference in price; so I just wanted to check am I missing anything with the Pucer vs Toppers and the value for money, or does it just come down to personal choice without any important product performance limitations?
Thanks

I've been reading through all of the replies and comments on this thread and also on other threads in the forum relating to Pucer vs Toppers.
It sounds like most people who have first hand experience of the Pucer recommend them, advising they keep the canvas dry, easy to fit, small to store and don't cause a lot of extra noise when it's windy.
There are plenty of members who also recommend the topper style covers. There is a difference in price; so I just wanted to check am I missing anything with the Pucer vs Toppers and the value for money, or does it just come down to personal choice without any important product performance limitations?
Thanks
Can’t really use a full topper if you have or rely on solar panels.

Thanks
Haven't been able to test both but would suggest the Pucer wrap is better value for money. I met Daren himself as he delivered my wrap by hand aa I was on his way somewhere. He makes them all himself. Obviously a very talented man. An aircraft engineer by profession (just retired) with a sideline in wraps and the world's largest collection of Raleigh chopper bikes. Interesting guy. Very helpful!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Here is the Pucer (pronounced Pukka!) wrap in place
acbfadee744e175038e766b4fe4bcaa3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Don’t forget minster products, I believe there brand is called Polar.
Made to measure, so you’ll need to get tape measure out, and no windows either.
But good value for money too.
78CDE209-58B5-476D-A69D-9D07652F3D77.jpeg

Can’t really use a full topper if you have or rely on solar panels.

This was one of my considerations when purchasing the Pucer. And Daren offered an exemplary service.

Don’t forget minster products, I believe there brand is called Polar.
Made to measure, so you’ll need to get tape measure out, and no windows either.
But good value for money too.
View attachment 69923
Thanks for offering an alternative; sounds like you are pleased with them - I like the all black,; however does this still work well in the summer, or is the black less effective at reflecting the heat? Do they perform well in the rain and protect the canvas/ limit condensation? Thanks

Thanks for offering an alternative; sounds like you are pleased with them - I like the all black,; however does this still work well in the summer, or is the black less effective at reflecting the heat? Do they perform well in the rain and protect the canvas/ limit condensation? Thanks
I’ve only picked these up before the October half term, so can’t comment on the summer season yet.

The material is thermal padded silver stuff on the inside, so I guess this should help in summer.

The canvas roof was bone dry despite horrid conditions. See photo, you can see a touch of dampness where I hadn’t got the wrap all the way up. It was a wet and windy week and I think I needed to get the wrap tighter, but didn’t want to go out and fiddle!
No light leaking through either.

4DAF9983-4347-41A4-8355-DFE8E23F2133.jpeg

66087D6A-254E-4F6A-BE77-5B6101971245.jpeg

I’ve only picked these up before the October half term, so can’t comment on the summer season yet.

The material is thermal padded silver stuff on the inside, so I guess this should help in summer.

The canvas roof was bone dry despite horrid conditions. See photo, you can see a touch of dampness where I hadn’t got the wrap all the way up. It was a wet and windy week and I think I needed to get the wrap tighter, but didn’t want to go out and fiddle!

View attachment 69930

View attachment 69931
Perhaps you can put them silver side out in summer.

Perhaps you can put them silver side out in summer.
The wrap’s buckles are on the black side, so it feels non reversible.
I know they had a choice in colours, black or silver. I preferred the black, so will just have to see how we get in in the summer. Will report back after some sun. (Don’t hold your breath though!)

View attachment 69930

View attachment 69931
Thanks for taking the time to add the extra photos and feedback - always appreciated

I am trying to find the original thread on how to make this item - can anyone point me in that direction please

I’m an absolute fan of the Pucer Screen. I’ve used it on our 2012 Cali from word go and love how easy it is to put on and off. We always sleep up top and appreciate the sound and insulation properties it has. It’s waterproof and dries really quickly. I modified my Pucer screen slightly by carefully cutting out, using a craft knife, oval vent holes that line up with the vents in the canvas roof. It would serve you well!
Hi What did you seal the exposed edges with...I love my Pucer screen but its good to maintain the ventilation so noticed your idea??

I also have a Pucer screen which I rate highly. I’ve been tempted to modify it to add some PVC windows to let in a little light, but haven’t been brave enough to tamper with it yet