Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hot hot hot - Leisure Batteries not charging

Where do you see a 40A Matt? Biggest in those two banks is the clear 25A

40A isnt the one apparently, found this after looking about. its T5 related but should be similar at least.

Under the passenger seat
Fuse (Amps) Circuit
F1 (15A) Auxiliary power socket(s) (some models)
F2 (15A) Auxiliary power socket(s) (some models)
F3 (15A) Auxiliary power socket(s) (some models)
F4 (15A) Refrigerator box (camper van), special vehicle equipment
F5 (5A) Aerial module
F6 (25A) Auxiliary heater
F7 (30A) Heater/AC blower motor (ATC)
F8 -
F9 -
F10 -
F11 (40A) Door function control module, right rear (some models)
F12 (80A) Auxiliary battery (some models)
F12 (80A) Split charge relay (some models)
2012-04-08-18-26-47-1-png.732
Location Component
1 -
2 Split charge relay (with auxiliary battery)
3 Special vehicle equipment
4 Special vehicle equipment
5 Special vehicle equipment

NOTE: Fuses F1-F7/F11/F12 - During assembly these fuses may be fitted in alternative positions, depending on
vehicle specification.

View attachment 732

Thanks Matt. Very useful

Looking at the PDF think I have a "coupling station" like that of page 24 but as it's now tucked down the side of the battery I'll have to wait until I'm home to pop the seat out.

Thanks again.

Thanks Matt. Very useful

Looking at the PDF think I have a "coupling station" like that of page 24 but as it's now tucked down the side of the battery I'll have to wait until I'm home to pop the seat out.

Thanks again.
It looks like the fuse carrier has been moved to accommodate the amp, but I see in your photo that one of the fuses is out of its holder. The big fuses like the 80A one are normally stand alone. but checkj the one I have highlighted.
2017-08-14_16-16-57.png

Hi Loz

Thanks for that. That is the biggest fuse in the rack at 25A but is still intact and in its slot (there's an open slot next to it that makes it look out of place in the photo. Will dig deeper when I get home next week

John.

Hi Loz

Thanks for that. That is the biggest fuse in the rack at 25A but is still intact and in its slot (there's an open slot next to it that makes it look out of place in the photo. Will dig deeper when I get home next week

John.
in that case check the 100A fuse in the main fuse carrier next to the starter battery, this fuse protects the large cable that goes to the charge relay under the seat, if the kit was moved during the Amp installation they may have blown the supply fuse.

Fixed it - I think...

Got the seat and battery cover off to find the 80A fuse intact - it had been tidied out of the way during the amp install. Then noticed this nut was missing and cables melting...

View media item 1550
No sign of the nut so no idea if ever fitted or disturbed during the amp install. It's a little worrying that the cable insulation is melting but the fuse remained intact.

Cut back the damaged cables, crimped new terminals on and I seem to be getting a charge to the leisure battery now

It's a little worrying that the cable insulation is melting but the fuse remained intact.

It looks like you dodged a bullet there! It looks like arcing between the terminal and the terminal post probably caused the heat that melted the insulation. That wouldn't blow the fuse, but there's probably enough heat generated to start a fire.

Thanks for the post . Will check our battery. Had 80 A fuse fitted by garage during update.

Not arcing, but the high resistance causing the heat.
I would be having a serious chat with the amp installer being the last to touch it and one of those wires is probably the feed for the amp itself. You were lucky not to have had a fire!

Also, what is the crimp terminal on the top being held down with? the missing nut perhaps!

name and shame....

Hi Loz

You're on the money there - thank you. The only naming and shaming is of me for making a stupid mistake...

As well as the amp install, the only other person who's had a spanner under the seat is myself. I fitted a short cable with anderson connector that sits coiled under the front of the chair. I then use it when camped, attached to a simple box, to power the fridge between the front seats, lights to the awning and charge a couple of small gps/phones.

View media item 1554
It looks like what I did was remove the nut to add the new connection, got distracted maybe, then refitted the nut on the top stud you correctly identified. Even the other day looking for the nut, I searched all round the seat base and didn't see my mistake until you spotted it. As soon as you mentioned it, I knew exactly what I must have done

In the scale of things, this was a simple modification, but the consequences could have been dire. Like mccp said, I dodged a bullet, having just done 2,500 miles around France like this

Thanks all

Back to my original leisure batteries problem. Took the six month old Ocean to the local Portsmouth Breeze VW dealer who found that a relay had NEVER been connected. To quote from their report:

"checked and confirmed no charge at second or leisure battery, using current flow diagrams found relay J713 unplugged, removed passenger seat and base found multiplug under carpet, reconnected relay and multiplug checked all charge rates and all OK at time of the test."

Hope this now solves my battery problem.

At the same time had a broken and loose pop top plastic protective cable cover replaced. Not impressed that VW quality control did not pick this up and prior to this had a factory fitted tow bar replaced as the original "wobbled" and was not safe. That's three VW factory should not happen cock ups.

But still love the Ocean!

Back