Hot hot hot - Leisure Batteries not charging

John Herbert

John Herbert

Once a camper ...
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi All
Note outside temperature reading!

Problem - Have Feb 2017 Ocean where both leisure batteries on the display panel were flashing on and off with a zero percent reading. Went for a long trip 340 miles, with air con running all the time, and the display now reads "8.8 U 0% 0.0 A time".

Fridge cannot be switched on due to no charge in the batteries. Visiting a dealer is not practical until August when returning to the UK. Any idea for - what to do in the meantime?

Thanks

20170626_175517.jpg

20170626_140628.jpg

If your inverter gets to hot it turns itself automaticly off .

Have put Cali on charge and sure enough it has started to take a charge now reading 12.2 on charge and 60% when disconnected. Put it back on charge to try and get 100%. Don't understand as thought the alternator kept the leisure batteries topped up when on the road. Was suspicious that the light in the boot seemed to be on all the time and was very hot. As a precaution I have removed the bulb as the light was not needed!

Can you explain why my entry, not for the first time, has been deemed N/A?

You may need to check the 80amp fuse under the passenger seat, it's big and stands alone at the end of the row of fuses that start with the 3 15A fuses. This this main fuse after the split charge relay from the starter battery and if this has blown will be why it's not charging from the alternator.
Swivel the passenger seat round till it is facing the drivers dorr then slide it back to see it.

The reason I suggest this is that if the batteries were dead flat when the car started, as soon as the relay closed the inrush of current could have blown that fuse.

My alternator hadnt been charging the leisure batteries since I got it July 2016,kept them charged via hook up,took it back in november and they said they had sorted it but since reading on control panel was negative all the time even when driving for hundreds of miles I was positive they hadnt, got solar panel fitted in december batterys were charged by that.When i read on here about a update needed I rang the dealers and they said yes it was needed and I said the alternator was still not charging the batteries so they looked again at this point ,was a fuse problem .since then all been hunky dorey

Have put Cali on charge and sure enough it has started to take a charge now reading 12.2 on charge and 60% when disconnected. Put it back on charge to try and get 100%. Don't understand as thought the alternator kept the leisure batteries topped up when on the road. Was suspicious that the light in the boot seemed to be on all the time and was very hot. As a precaution I have removed the bulb as the light was not needed!

Can you explain why my entry, not for the first time, has been deemed N/A?

Does indeed sound like the fuse may have gone on the split charge relay. I believe there is also a fuse between the two leisure batteries that is worth checking (someone else can confirm I think this is in the rear).

Alternator should charge batteries to about 80% capacity, to get them properly full you will need hook up or some other form of charging. My batteries are usually about 12.8v from driving but will get upto 13.1 if I go on hookup for a day.

Will try to answer the second question. What do you mean by entry deemed N/A?

Last edited:
Was suspicious that the light in the boot seemed to be on all the time and was very hot. As a precaution I have removed the bulb as the light was not needed!
Yes certainly should not be on all the time either worth a visit when you get home.

The low level light in the rear at the bottom of the wardrobe that comes on when you open the tailgate is fed from the main vehicle wiring and not part of the leisure side. It does get very hot as it's a festoon lamp, you can quite easily swap this for an LED replacement.
In any case you should investigate why it doesn't go off when you shut the tailgate.. Unless you only see it on when looking in from the back???

Last edited:
I just took the bulb out , no use that light .
On site sometimes my tailgate stays open the whole day , that light don't need to be on .
All the interieur lights in the Cali can be switchted off by a button only that in the rear not ....typical ...the one light nobody needs and nobody sees (only when you stick your head unders the metal shelf ) you can not turn off.
VW demons!

My boot light turns off if the tailgate is left open for any length of time so assumed either the computer controlled it or it has it's own timer.

Alan

Thanks for hint on mains charging and swapping the 80 amp fuse. Both done. Charged batteries using mains cable result = Tuesday morning 12.2 & 60%, Tuesday night 12.4 & 80% had to disconnect mains cable, Wednesday noon 12.0 & 50%, Thursday noon 12.0 & 40%. So clearly the leisure batteries are (with nothing being on as far as I can tell) are loosing their charge. Any ideas?

Thanks for hint on mains charging and swapping the 80 amp fuse. Both done. Charged batteries using mains cable result = Tuesday morning 12.2 & 60%, Tuesday night 12.4 & 80% had to disconnect mains cable, Wednesday noon 12.0 & 50%, Thursday noon 12.0 & 40%. So clearly the leisure batteries are (with nothing being on as far as I can tell) are loosing their charge. Any ideas?
Is the display showing the negative current draw and what value?

Are ALL the sockets pulled out ?
Is this in the post above without driving?

Hi
I don't know what a negative current draw is and as I know nothing is plugged in. Left Cali plugged into mains and leisure batteries now read 100 per cent. Below first photo shows display after unplugging mains lead and the second photo immediatly before unplugging. Or is it the other eay round?

20170629_210458.jpg

20170629_210104.jpg

The first pick show no current flow the second shows a 2amp charge going in.
If you suspect something is draining the batteries then the lower figure would be a negative number.

Have you had anything installed directly onto either of the leisure batteries?

Hi
I don't know what a negative current draw is and as I know nothing is plugged in. Left Cali plugged into mains and leisure batteries now read 100 per cent. Below first photo shows display after unplugging mains lead and the second photo immediatly before unplugging. Or is it the other eay round?

View attachment 23208

View attachment 23209
Correct way round. The Voltage without Mains connected should settle to 12.7v and 100% after about 30/60 minutes to give the true resting Voltage. Although having said that the bottom picture with Mains ON and Charger ON shows the Leisure Batteries still taking 2amps although this could be the trickle charge for the Engine Battery as well.

The only "non factory" bit of electrics is a Tracker and a hard wired (but not plugged in) lead feeding a Snooper sat nav. Both of these I thought was wired into the main engine battery. Will take a reading Saturday and report % to report as to leisure battery status.
Maybe relevant - on the control panel menu the "battery status" has a permanent tick on this choice. There does not seem, unlike all the other choices, to be on "off/on" choice to remove the tick. As I say - is this relevant to the battery being drained?

T
Maybe relevant - on the control panel menu the "battery status" has a permanent tick on this choice. There does not seem, unlike all the other choices, to be on "off/on" choice to remove the tick. As I say - is this relevant to the battery being drained?

The Tick indicates which screen is the Default Screen shown on the Control Panel screen. One of the Choices has to be selected and then that Choice will have the Tick. Has no bearing on power usage.

OK reading today Saturday (see photo) shows I think both leisure batteries on 100% after taking mains charge on Thursday so not loosing any charge over 24 hours. Problem could have solved itself or could be because 80 amp fuse changed? But will report what happened to dealer. Thanks for feedback.

20170701_113916.jpg

Folks

My 2017 Beach seems to be having the same issue - leisure battery not taking a charge when driving but does on hook up. Sounds like a fuse. There's no 80A under the passenger seat. Anyone have an idea where it might be please.

Folks

My 2017 Beach seems to be having the same issue - leisure battery not taking a charge when driving but does on hook up. Sounds like a fuse. There's no 80A under the passenger seat. Anyone have an idea where it might be please.
Can you rotate you passenger seat and slide it right backwards and take a photo of the fuses you do have under the seat and post it?

Thanks gents. Hopefully the photos are below. There's only two small banks of fuses (squeezed around an aftermarket amp install). Can't see an 80A, nor does it bear any resemblance to your reference Matt

View media item 1542
View media item 1541

Page 30 has beach specific fuse locations for "special" Ill have a look.

I see a 40a fuse, which may be for leisure battery, 80a may be more specific to multiple batteries. Ive never seen my alternator kick out more than 12.5amps

Back